Forums

Who says Chess is Boring...

Sort:
clms_chess

... never won a big tournament game with literally 1 second left on the clock. This weekend some of my students and I competed at the Central Florida Class Championships. DC_cookie_G's (his nick here) Saturday morning g/60 Class "D" 1st round match was about as exciting as chess can get... he was almost hyper-ventilating exiting the playing hall and had to walk around the hotel to calm down. What made it laughably worse was that he kept writing down his moves almost to the one second mark!... notation I like to call "panic squiggle".

Both players had Queens and other major pieces left on the board so it wasnt one of those easy King+ Queen vs. lone King type ending, but a real find the forced mate in 3 at the last second kinda mate.

Great job DC!... with that win and a solid tournament (3-2).

Anyone else have a last second tornaament chess win?

orangehonda

Oops, this isn't a win, but it is a time thing Tongue out  I once got down to 1 minute around move 40 and lived off of my 30 second increment till move 110.  Although the last 50 moves were me proving I had a fortress... it took some care at that point but wasn't anything too tough.  Still, that's a lot of moves for such low time.

My opponent was in a similar situation, around move 40 we were both very low.

clms_chess
orangehonda wrote:

Oops, this isn't a win, but it is a time thing   I once got down to 1 minute around move 40 and lived off of my 30 second increment till move 110.  Although the last 50 moves were me proving I had a fortress... it took some care at that point but wasn't anything too tough.  Still, that's a lot of moves for such low time.

My opponent was in a similar situation, around move 40 we were both very low.

So you both were basically playing blitz for the rest of the game..lol. Amazing. That will get the heart pumping!

orangehonda

Yeah, we'd repeat moves to get a minute or two... and then go back to thinking... very tense.  I got down to 1-2 second many times.  At one point I had to get up and get a drink because it was tense and lasting too long.  I had a little more than a minute and figured I could make it back in time (this was at the fortress stage).  When I got up and started walking away I looked at my opponent... I think what I was doing shocked him so much that it actually worked in my favor lol.

When I got back he hadn't moved.

clms_chess

That is hilarious orangehonda! What round was it?

We need to hear more of these stories...

Anyone else with last second tournament games?

yitzd

I would be suprised to see somebody do about 150 moves every second. For that matter, there's a star that spins about 150 times a second.

DC_cookie_G

that game was scary!

DC_cookie_G

it was a revenge match too. i played him early in the summer in another tournament, and he beat me. if i won i wouldve got best under 1200!

clms_chess

I remember that. Was that the Southern Open?

DC_cookie_G

no, remember the one early in the summer that u me and D went to? it was a U1400 scholastic division and i had 2.5 and wouldve tied for 1st U1200 at 3.5

clms_chess

After Memorial Tournament.. now I remember. What away to take revenge.... he resigned with one second left on your clock... thats gotta hurt.

skogli

I played in the national tournament and dropped a pice after 3-4 moves, that was boring...

SimonSeirup

Nice. Was it a 2h per player game? Can we se the game?

skogli

Chess is boring, today I lost an otb game on time, with an easy drawn position.

I hate the 90 min -40moves + 30 min on the rest of the game.

It's really not that easy to switch over to blitz tempo.

skogli

I was black, best position, easy draw. But time's up! I'm the worst loser in the world! Feel's like totaly giving up this chess shitt..

clms_chess
skogli wrote:

Really?.... see the original post. DC_cookie would strongly disagree with you.

skogli
clms_chess wrote:
skogli wrote:

It worked in one game, but I'm sure he'll lose many games with that strategy!

DC_cookie_G
skogli wrote:
clms_chess wrote:
skogli wrote:

its not a strategy, and if i didnt use my time to think i wouldn't have had him in a forced mate position

clms_chess
DC_cookie_G wrote:
skogli wrote:
clms_chess wrote:
skogli wrote:

its not a strategy, and if i didnt use my time to think i wouldn't have had him in a forced mate position

+1

Jenubis

It sounds to me like DC had the guy's demise planned out. It was just the race against time.

My school held one tournament. It wasn't anything really official, our chess club was garbage. I did manage to play one game though against the "best" player there.

We didn't have an actual clock but we had around twenty minutes to play the full game. I had the upper hand most of the fight, but I blundered away a rook and he managed to squeeze my king into a tight spot. Luckily, I saw that I was able to sacrifice a few pawns and a bishop to get the rest of his pieces off the board, and come back with a win. He gave up as the bell rang.