Forums

Who will win - Anand or Gelfand?

Sort:
Helzeth

Anand has a higher chance of winning, being russian and all.

azziralc

Anand is indian. 

Helzeth

Nonsense.

Sindhu16M

though this is not anands cup of cake i reallly do hope anand will win

Alex_Williams1
hermione16 wrote:

this is not anands cup of cake 

why?

Stone_Cold_Crazy

Am I the only one not caring about world championship ?
Always the same openings for years and years .... Would love to see a world champion really takings risks on openings !

Alex_Williams1

Second game also drew. I cant understand why Anand is agreeing for draw when Gelfand is under time pressure. Undecided

Alex_Williams1
pfren wrote:

So, what cound he do? Pawns absolutely symmetrical, no weak point for either side... Even blitzing, a world class player like Boris cannot screw that.

Yes, you should be right. You know better. Smile

finalunpurez
Stone_Cold_Crazy wrote:

Am I the only one not caring about world championship ?
Always the same openings for years and years .... Would love to see a world champion really takings risks on openings !

U want to see something like the kings gambit?

Vas1337

@Helzeth : Lol. Anand is Indian.

DoubIe_Dragon

My only prediction is that whom ever wins will not successfully defend it in 2014.

coolking777

first game draw

Alex_Williams1
coolking777 wrote:

first game draw

You missed the second one today? Second game also drew.

Hammerschlag
fabelhaft wrote:
Hammerschlag wrote:
What's his reason for not showing up? He is ranked world #1 and is expected to be World Champion sometime. What is he waiting for?

This has been discussed to great detail before, but Carlsen did originally turn up for the qualification and won the first event. Among the players that refused to turn up were Topalov and Kramnik, who didn't want to qualify from the same starting point as Carlsen and Aronian.

Then FIDE changed the rules so Topalov and Kramnik were given Candidates spots without qualifying, as they had demanded, and the longer final match was substituted with a knockout of the sort Khalifman and Kasimdzhanov had won in the past. The players that were most positive about this change were of course those that were given a spot they otherwise wouldn't have had. Aronian won all his Grand Prix tournaments, but the only reward he got was one spot of eight, together with players that had refused to play the qualification.

So Carlsen withdrew, the knockout produced another sensation, and here we are.

Are "knockout" events really the best way to find a challenger for the WC?

Why not start everyone at 0 at the end of a WC and track the players from there, where they look at number of Tournaments/Games played and anyone that meets the requirement would be evaulated...the top 20 in that group would be legitimate contenders.

They could then do a couple of qualifying tournaments for those in the top 20 to narrow it down even more until they finally get a challenger worthy of fighting for the WC?

netzach

Anand is Scottish...

Alex_Williams1
netzach wrote:

Anand is Scottish...

Rubbish. Both Anand and Gelfand are Indians. So, the World Champion this time will surely be an Indian. And, all the top 100 chess players in the world are from India. Laughing

karikal

@sekhar1--

Anand is Indian ofcourse.

But who got you the idea that Gelfand is Indian?!!

Boris Gelfand is an Israelian GM, born in USSR but immigrated later to Israel. See Wilkipedia.

It is also NOT true 100 best players are from India!!

Alex_Williams1
karikal wrote:

@sekhar1--

Anand is Indian ofcourse.

But who got you the idea that Gelfand is Indian?!!

Boris Gelfand is an Israelian GM, born in USSR but immigrated later to Israel. See Wilkipedia.

It is also NOT true 100 best players are from India!!

I was just kidding in response to two others doing the same. I thought it was obvious. Smile

netzach

Smile

kaplangambiti

How Gelfand won the candidates tournament?

Because Anand probably make him regret to win the candidates.