Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Who will win the 2013 world championship? Anand or Carlsen?

• 13 months ago · Quote · #1

Ionlywearblue

who do you guy's think will win.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #2

Oraoradeki

Carlsen, by a huge margin. (curious to see what others say)

• 13 months ago · Quote · #3

strngdrvnthng

I think it will be close.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #4

varelse1

Carlsen, by a mile.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #5

FirebrandX

I think it will be close, and depending on whether Anand can out-prepare Carlsen. If Carlsen can't be caught in the opening, he should win with +2.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #6

Estragon

It is very hard to handicap these short matches.  A single bad move early can put you a game down, which changes the whole strategy.  That's the whole reason Fischer demanded the draws-don't-count system; the player with a lead cannot just run out the clock with draws.

The problem with that is it is impossible to get sponsors and reserve venues for indefinite matches.  Even the players need to have an ending date so they can commit their schedules for later weeks.

Anand has won two title matches where he lost first and had to come from behind, but he probably can't do that against Carlsen.  I think Anand has to draw first blood to have a real chance of winning the match - but a long string of draws at the beginning wouldn't be so bad for him, he just needs to avoid falling behind.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #7

varelse1

I still think a WC match should be 24 games.

But nobody's listening to me, as usual. So I'll leave it there.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #8

chessBBQ

Anand will not play any tournaments leading to the World Championship match.He will focus all his attention on preparation.He considers this his best chance.

Carlsen is ridiculously  hard to prepare against though.He will try to tire Anand in the first few games by playing long winded endgames in the hope that in the later rounds,Anand will eventually crack

Anand should focus not on theoretical side  but more on the opening positions that Carlsen favors like the

Ruy Lopez positions with c3-d4 ideas .One of Carlsen's favorite plans.

Maroczy bind positions

3 vs 2 majority pawns

• 13 months ago · Quote · #9

varelse1

I agree with The BBQ.

Carlsen won't be letting Anand off easy with 25,30-move draws, the way Gelfand did.

In that way Carlsen is much like Fischer. When you sit down across the board from him, you're in for a full game.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #10

bean_Fischer

Of the winner is who has more 6 points. Quite obvious. I am neither Anand or Carlsen fans. And I don't expect one of them to win.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #11

Dargone

I think Anand will shock most people and win. I think experience in match play, which Carlsen does not have, will be a deciding factor. 

• 13 months ago · Quote · #12

APawnCanDream

I'm hoping for more decisive games and fewer draws and it wouldn't shock me if it went into a tiebreaker after 12 classical games. Anand is going to need to show that opening preparation for WC matches matter and Carlsen might show that while the game starts in the opening, it rarely ends there. I hope both bring their best to the table for the match. I'm rooting for Anand mostly because I think Carlsen needs a few more years before claiming the title personally and who doesn't want to see an old tiger pounce again. It would also be nice to see that Anand, while not dominating his peers at tournaments as WC, keeps his best for when it matters. We'll see, looking forward to the match!

• 13 months ago · Quote · #13

deandyu

Carlsen will win om rapid tiebreaks.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #14

Mainline_Novelty

bean_Fischer wrote:

Of the winner is who has more 6 points. Quite obvious. I am neither Anand or Carlsen fans. And I don't expect one of them to win.

Wait, what?

• 13 months ago · Quote · #15

Slovenly

Chess needs an infusion of youth and charisma badly to market itself.  Magnus may not have it, but we know Anand doesn't.  Total stiff.

I rather imagine the outcome has been predetermined, and Anand will be receiving a nice backroom bonus in addition to his official payday to take one for the team, here.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #16

APawnCanDream

Mainline_Novelty wrote:
    bean_Fischer wrote:

Wait, what?

I think he means he doesn't expect one to be more likely to win over the other.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #17

Elubas

I'll predict Carlsen to win comfortably, but not outright crush Anand. Maybe he'll win by a margin of about 1.5.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #18

Mainline_Novelty

APawnCanDream wrote:
    Mainline_Novelty wrote:
    bean_Fischer wrote:

Wait, what?

I think he means he doesn't expect one to be more likely to win over the other.

Ohhh ok nevermind then Embarassed

• 13 months ago · Quote · #19

Drakodan

Is this really as clear-cut as people are making it out to be? Sure, in terms of both rating strength and recent tournament results, Carlsen simply outclasses Anand, but this is not a tournament. Carlsen has very little to no experience of match play, whilst Anand has played plenty of them. Is a difference of approx. 100 rating points really enough to compensate for this deficiency in experience to the point of leading people to believe he'll win convincingly?

• 13 months ago · Quote · #20

ThrillerFan

Anand will win - Carlsen doesn't have the experience of a long match.  Carlsen will probably win one very early, I'd say his first game as White, whether that's round 1 or 2, and then won't win again, Anand will adjust, and wax him.  I'd say Anand outscores Carlsen 3 to 1 with the rest being draws.

Post your reply: