Sort:
marvelousmarvin314

Who do you think would win in a chess game, Garry Kasparov or Bobby Fischer

Konkistador

Kasparov.

vadirajgp2012
[COMMENT DELETED]
klimski

Another one of these threads, really? There's no way to know. So get over it.

bobbyDK
vadirajgp2012 skrev:

Bobby Fischer will win by sacrificing his queen.

actually kasparov played a brilliant game where he sacrificed his queen on move 12 against Kramnik and won the game. http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070732

So I doubt Fischer would win this way.

JeanMichelJamJar

It depends a lot on their ages; presently, as things stand, Gazza is favourite.

piotrchess

there's a game between them

Have a nice day Piotrchess

TheNewMikhailTal

Fischer obviously. Just take away kaspy's computer.

Thomas9400

You know who would beat them both.......tal you know who would beat him........no one

chessfreak

TheNewMikhailTal wrote:

True

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Kasparov due to the fact that his understanding of Najdorf, Queen's Pawn Game, and King's Indian positions is deeper and calculates better.  He is just too strategically sound, not to say Fischer wasn't of course, and Fischer would certainly be capable of getting his points (Petrosian defeated Kasparov brilliantly in the 80s) though Kasparov would come out ahead.  

From looking at Kasparov's book on Fischer we can deduce that Kasparov had a thorough and complete understanding of Fischer's psychology, so we know he has that advantage too.  

TheGreatOogieBoogie
Thomas9400 wrote:

You know who would beat them both.......tal you know who would beat him........no one

Or Botvinnik, so long as Tal's creative faculties are defective.  

TheOldReb
TheGreatOogieBoogie wrote:

Kasparov due to the fact that his understanding of Najdorf, Queen's Pawn Game, and King's Indian positions is deeper and calculates better.  He is just too strategically sound, not to say Fischer wasn't of course, and Fischer would certainly be capable of getting his points (Petrosian defeated Kasparov brilliantly in the 80s) though Kasparov would come out ahead.  

From looking at Kasparov's book on Fischer we can deduce that Kasparov had a thorough and complete understanding of Fischer's psychology, so we know he has that advantage too.  

Classical games: Tigran Vartanovich Petrosian tied Garry Kasparov 2 to 2, with 1 draw.    Kasparov had white in all 5 games . 

JamieDelarosa

Fischer at his peak (10/1971, rating 2895), and Kasparov at his peak  (3/1993, rating 2886), were about equal. (ChessMetrics)

For a single game it is anybody's guess.  For a match, I would give Fischer the slightest of edges.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1069975

Was the game I had in mind.  I mentioned Petrosian specifically because he's a top-class player who has played against both Fischer and Kasparov.  

ChastityMoon
marvelousmarvin314 wrote:

Who do you think would win in a chess game, Garry Kasparov or Bobby Fischer

Joe Louis would beat Kasparov and Jesse Owens would have taken care of Fischer.

Pulezzz doG, make these stupid questions stop!!!!!!

JustinCarcirated

...or give young Bobby an Apple - no second needed.

TheNewMikhailTal wrote:

WacoOne

Fischer. 

But he would have probably been too scared to play Kasparov. 

ChastityMoon

Here's how they themselves sized up the situation.   (Fischer of course sounding like the a hole he was.)

If one may judge a player's strength by comparing him with his contemporaries, it seems to me that Fischer's achievement is unsurpassed. The gap between him and his closest rivals was the widest there ever was between a World Champion and the other top-ranking players of his time. He was some 10-15 years ahead of his time in his preparation and understanding. This could be attributed in part to his dedication to the game, which was unequaled by any other player before or since. -- Garry Kasparov

I object to being called a chess genius, because I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different. A piece of garbage like Kasparov might be called a chess genius, but he is like an idiot savant, outside of chess he knows nothing. -- Bobby Fischer

JeanMichelJamJar

If he said that, he sure knew how to troll, he would have been big on chess.com.