Forums

Who's The Best Positional Player In Chess?

Sort:
donglan

For me Anatoly Karpov.

Votes (based on mentioned names) As of Oct. 14, 2010 ET:

Karpov -  3 ;   Kasparov - 2 ;  Kramnik  -  7 ;  Carlsen - 2 ;   Anand  - 2 ;   Fisher - 3 ;  Petrosian  - 3 ;  Shirov - 2 ;  Capablanca - 1  ;  Alekhine  - 2  ;  Morphy - 2 ;  Tal  - 1 ;   J. Polgar - 1                        

( Let's always support chess.com )

Our music just for fun. We're new:

song #1 >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqWH3Jh7p9U

song #2 >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZEsR3-de8I

trysts

Karpov; Petrosian; Kramnik; Anand; AronianSmile

Insane_Chess

Karpov, Petrosian, and Capablanca come to mind.

RothKevin

i really like how petrosian plays

trysts
paulgottlieb wrote:

All the great grandmasters are terrific positional players, but among the players active today, Victor Kramnik seems to be the very best at squeezing the full point out of a microscopic positional advantage

Vladimir Kramnik is even better than Victor! Though Victor Kramnik is quite the arm wrestlerLaughing

dazbedford

its definalty not me!

dazbedford

whos the best tactical player do you think?

Shirov has to be up there

trysts
dazbedford wrote:

whos the best tactical player do you think?

Shirov has to be up there

Cool! I get to do a greatest tacticians list!

Kasparov; Tal; J. Polgar; Shirov; AlekhineSmile

JetFire

If it were Possible , which it is not would it not be awesome to see a Bobby Fischer vs Paul Morphy?   I personally think this would be a game of madness !!!

trysts
JetFire wrote:

If it were Possible , which it is not would it not be awesome to see a Bobby Fischer vs Paul Morphy?   I personally think this would be a game of madness !!!

Fischer would be soooo pissed off if they exhume him again!

Insane_Chess

Tactically, Tal and Kasparov were the best.

CapAnson
trysts wrote:
JetFire wrote:

Fischer would be soooo pissed off if they exhume him again!

No doubt a Jewish conspiracy ;)

blake78613

Definition time.   I once read an interview with Alekhine (after his second match with Euwe).  Alekhine was asked whether he considered Euwe a positional player or a tactical one.   Alekhine did not consider Euwe a positional player, because Euwe only played within a framework of established strategies.  To Alekhine, a positional player was one who invented strategies.   Following Alekhine's definition I would say: Duncan Suttles.

nimzo5

Alekhine lived in a period when large ideas were still possible. Kramnik lives in the world of 20th move novelties and nagging, small advantages. So with all due respect to Duncan Suttles-

I vote Kramnik.

SteveCollyer
[COMMENT DELETED]
donglan
[COMMENT DELETED]
Natalia_Pogonina

Nowadays it's probably Kramnik. Each era has its own positional #1.

tarikhk
blake78613 wrote:

Definition time.   I once read an interview with Alekhine (after his second match with Euwe).  Alekhine was asked whether he considered Euwe a positional player or a tactical one.   Alekhine did not consider Euwe a positional player, because Euwe only played within a framework of established strategies.  To Alekhine, a positional player was one who invented strategies.   Following Alekhine's definition I would say: Duncan Suttles.

ha! Duncan suttles' strategy:

1. fianchetto.

2.make lots of pawn moves.

3. weaken lots of squares.

4. Don't castle if you can avoid it.

5. keep all your pieces on the first three files.

6. move your pieces back and forth aimlessly.

7. win somehow.

donglan
Natalia_Pogonina wrote:

Nowadays it's probably Kramnik. Each era has its own positional #1.

Just visited your website congratulations!

donglan

The most talked positional player in chess.