Forums

why chess book is better than internet for improvement???

Sort:
Sanket44

there are lots of facility on internet then why peoples r purchased chess book????

Sanket44

thx

Vivinski

A combination of the two is imho the very best,

e+chess books, traditional chess books with interactive chess boards, if you click on a move in the text it appears on the board.

bobbyDK

at the time I started studying chess I used a million sources and studied this and that. Josh Waitzkin in chessmaster - youtube - chess.com and a lot of internet resources and free pdf book and videos.

one from the club told me I need to stop zapping around on the internet and stick with one source - a book.

A book by Bent Larsen on opening play.

"there are lots of facility on internet " - how do you know how to focus. there is just too much to learn.
a book has already chosen the focus for you - you can follow a book from a - z and learn something. the only thing you need to foucs on is picking the right book on what you want to learn.

chrka
bobbyDK wrote:

at the time I started studying chess I used a million sources and studied this and that. Josh Waitzkin in chessmaster - youtube - chess.com and a lot of internet resources and free pdf book and videos.

one from the club told me I need to stop zapping around on the internet and stick with one source - a book.

"there are lots of facility on internet " - how do you know how to focus. there is just too much to learn.
a book has already chosen the focus for you - you can follow a book from a - z and learn something. the only thing you need to foucs on is picking the right book on what you want to learn.

Which book is that? Actually, the only opening book I have is a thrift store find by Bent Larsen "Öppningspelet i schack" (Åbningsspillet i skak på dansk, måske?)

bobbyDK
chrka wrote:
bobbyDK wrote:

Which book is that? Actually, the only opening book I have is a thrift store find by Bent Larsen "Öppningspelet i schack" (Åbningsspillet i skak på dansk, måske?)

yes it is an old book. but a very good book called 'Åbningsspillet i skak'

I love the section called 'too many common errors'. Bent tells what to avoid in the opening. I have won many games on punishing  errors made in the opening mentioned in the book or something similiar.

PLAVIN81

A GOOD BOOK IS====THE COMPLETE IDIOTS GUIDE TO CHESS====WRITEN BY PATRICK WOLFF=TWO TIMES  US CHESS CHAMPION==ABOUT $29.00 AT BARNS AND NOBLE

NimzoRoy

Different people learn in different ways. Some learn best by reading, some learn best by listening, others learn best by doing. This is pretty well established by people who study how other people learn. So chess books maybe best for some players and listening to chess lessons in person or over the internet maybe best for others.

And then there are morons like US Sen Inhofe (R-OK) who are incapable of learning anything besides how to take payola from coal and oil companies; he apparently learned this trick by doing it.