Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Why chess isn't respected


  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #61

    TheGrobe

    pullin wrote:

    This wasn't a well thought out essay.  

    I spent about 20 minutes typing this, so I don't expect all of it to be thoroughly analyzed. 

    You don't say.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #62

    Mika_Rao

    pullin wrote:

    opponents who run around the board in 1 min games if they're losing, believe they've legitmately won if they win on time.

    Implying you were the real winner because you were winning on the board but not on time?

    pullin wrote:

    if they're up one piece they feel they've won the game.. even if I win on time

    Implying you were the real winner because you won on time and not on the board?


    So... isn't it true that you're the one doing what you imagine your opponent's to be doing?

     

    pullin wrote:

    They believe they've legitmately won

    pullin wrote:

     They take every win to their name

    pullin wrote:

    they feel they've won the game

    Oh I see, you're projecting.  You're the one who takes every win to heart and feels you should have won regardless.  Well, this wasn't very hard to figure out.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #63

    tkbunny

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #64

    thatchamUK

    Mr. Pullin, The beauty of chess lies in the simplest of facts, and it is this: You don't have to attack, but you must always defend against anything and everything.  Implicit in this construct is an attack which isn't sustainable should not be initiated.  Then the scenario which you've described can't occur.  You have a few valid options at this point.

    1.  Get over it.   (It's you, not them)

    2.  Struggle through it (like the rest of aspiring chess players)

    3.  Best of luck, whichever you choose.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #65

    Boogalicious

    username_wrote

    When it comes to blitz and bullet, winning on time is just as valid as checkmating.

    Perhaps you might want to consider more traditional-like time controls. You will find yourself in many more games where the win is earned through other means.

    BTW, chess is very respected. I think the issue is that many blitz players don't actually respect or understand chess. They just like to push pieces around the board.

    couldn't have said it better

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #66

    AlCzervik

    Two_Dogs_Fkg wrote:

    Can't stop laughing.

    So what your saying is when you are winning positionally your opponent captures a piece and ruins this winning position, obviously bad sportmanship on his part. Then, as further evidence of your opponent's shear impudence, he evades being checkmated until your clock runs out of time. Clearly, he should not be awarded the victory because upon conclusion of the game your pieces make the prettiest pattern (provided pieces you were not paying attention to during play shouldn't be captured by your opponent).

    Brilliant - your post is worthy of Monty Python.

    Pretty close. If Cleese played chess he could make it a skit.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #67

    Prudentia

    pullin a écrit :

    There's no honor in the game. 

    I've played over 100 opponents who run around the board in 1 min games if they're losing, and believe they've legitmately won if they win on time. They take every win to their name.. if they're up one piece they feel they've won the game.. even if you win on time, but if your up every piece on the board and they run around and win they beat you.. or get one cheapo capture that ruins your attack. 

    With all due respect, a lot of players who play at a level below 1200 don't have enough experience and understanding to be able to play bullet, or 3 0 blitz effectively.  It's not that chess isn't respected enough, it's just that the game isn't truely appreciated enough to new players. If anything gets to the point of negatively impacting your emotions, it's best to just quit doing it.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #68

    Mersaphe

    Lower level players usually try to win on time in blitz, whereas better players don't use the clock as their primary strategy and actually play a decent game on the board.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #69

    SocialPanda

    Is bullet indecent?

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #70

    charlieschnieder

    SocialPanda wrote:

    Is bullet indecent?

    Yes, of course it is, absolutely indecent!

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #71

    Prudentia

    charlieschnieder a écrit :
    SocialPanda wrote:

    Is bullet indecent?

    Yes, of course it is, absolutely indecent!

    You know who also likes to play bullet chess?  That's right, the devil. :P

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #72

    Boogalicious

    Prudentia wrote:
    charlieschnieder a écrit :
    SocialPanda wrote:

    Is bullet indecent?

    Yes, of course it is, absolutely indecent!

    You know who also likes to play bullet chess?  That's right, the devil. :P

    lol Laughing

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #73

    tubebender

    pullin wrote:

    There's no honor in the game. 

    I've played over 100 opponents who run around the board in 1 min games if they're losing, and believe they've legitmately won if they win on time. They take every win to their name.. if they're up one piece they feel they've won the game.. even if you win on time, but if your up every piece on the board and they run around and win they beat you.. or get one cheapo capture that ruins your attack. 

    No offense meant, but why waste your time with speed Chess? I know, some like the quick action but your complaints seem to show that it is not for you. Not for me either. I`ve gone the other direction and my only rated Chess these days is USCF Correspondence events; it suits my temperment much better and nerves being that I`m 66.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #74

    Boogalicious

     but why waste your time with speed Chess?

    ...Correspondence events; it suits my temperment much better...

    I think speed chess suits the temperament of some people and slower chess, other people. It's subjective, so can't be said to be a waste of time. (In point of fact, technically, it's a gain of time - playing speed chess).


  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #75

    tubebender

    kleelof wrote:

    When it comes to blitz and bullet, winning on time is just as valid as checkmating.

    Perhaps you might want to consider more traditional-like time controls. You will find yourself in many more games where the win is earned through other means.

    BTW, chess is very respected. I think the issue is that many blitz players don't actually respect or understand chess. They just like to push pieces around the board.

    I agree 100%. I see that in my own Chess club. Most of them are the lower rated players. A connection, perhaps?


Back to Top

Post your reply: