Forums

Why chess isn't respected

Sort:
RonaldJosephCote

Its not that chess isn't respected, its just that society has put big money into other pursuits, like NASCAR.

Pepperidge

Hot Topics!

Hot BS straight off the press.

RonaldJosephCote

Well if a kid is playing blitz thinking it is real chess, he doesn't have the brain power to actually come up with a new controvertial "hot-topic" on his own. 

kleelof
kaynight wrote:

Huzzah and Hurrah!! Rule Britannia!

"Britania will rule again" Pink Floyd The Wall

"All the stories have been told

Of kings and days of old,
But there's no England now.
All the wars that were won and lost
Somehow don't seem to matter very much anymore.
All the lies we were told,
All the lies of the people running round,
They're castles have burned.
Now I see change,
But inside we're the same as we ever were." - The Kinks "Living on a Thin Line"

AcidBadger

Wow, that's quite a collection of bizarre opinions for one person to have. BUT you are in luck! The solution is quite simple. To play better opponents, just become a better player. Of course other 1000 rated players are going to depend on blunders and similar things. 

Two_Dogs_Playing

Can't stop laughing.

So what your saying is when you are winning positionally your opponent captures a piece and ruins this winning position, obviously bad sportmanship on his part. Then, as further evidence of your opponent's shear impudence, he evades being checkmated until your clock runs out of time. Clearly, he should not be awarded the victory because upon conclusion of the game your pieces make the prettiest pattern (provided pieces you were not paying attention to during play shouldn't be captured by your opponent).

Brilliant - your post is worthy of Monty Python.

RonaldJosephCote

We've been living a lie for sooo many years.  I suggest we storm Erik's office, and demand our money back.

TheGrobe

It is a pretty ridiculous statement.  If it doesn't improve their situation then what does it matter to you?  Drop the piece and continue with your attack so you can convert the win.

if it does improve their situation then it's not a "cheapo", it's counterplay.

TheGrobe
pullin wrote:

This wasn't a well thought out essay.  

I spent about 20 minutes typing this, so I don't expect all of it to be thoroughly analyzed. 

You don't say.

Mika_Rao
pullin wrote:

opponents who run around the board in 1 min games if they're losing, believe they've legitmately won if they win on time.

Implying you were the real winner because you were winning on the board but not on time?

pullin wrote:

if they're up one piece they feel they've won the game.. even if I win on time

Implying you were the real winner because you won on time and not on the board?

So... isn't it true that you're the one doing what you imagine your opponent's to be doing?

pullin wrote:

They believe they've legitmately won

pullin wrote:

They take every win to their name

pullin wrote:

they feel they've won the game

Oh I see, you're projecting.  You're the one who takes every win to heart and feels you should have won regardless.  Well, this wasn't very hard to figure out.

thatcham

Mr. Pullin, The beauty of chess lies in the simplest of facts, and it is this: You don't have to attack, but you must always defend against anything and everything.  Implicit in this construct is an attack which isn't sustainable should not be initiated.  Then the scenario which you've described can't occur.  You have a few valid options at this point.

1.  Get over it.   (It's you, not them)

2.  Struggle through it (like the rest of aspiring chess players)

3.  Best of luck, whichever you choose.

Boogalicious

username_wrote

When it comes to blitz and bullet, winning on time is just as valid as checkmating.

Perhaps you might want to consider more traditional-like time controls. You will find yourself in many more games where the win is earned through other means.

BTW, chess is very respected. I think the issue is that many blitz players don't actually respect or understand chess. They just like to push pieces around the board.

couldn't have said it better

AlCzervik
Two_Dogs_Fkg wrote:

Can't stop laughing.

So what your saying is when you are winning positionally your opponent captures a piece and ruins this winning position, obviously bad sportmanship on his part. Then, as further evidence of your opponent's shear impudence, he evades being checkmated until your clock runs out of time. Clearly, he should not be awarded the victory because upon conclusion of the game your pieces make the prettiest pattern (provided pieces you were not paying attention to during play shouldn't be captured by your opponent).

Brilliant - your post is worthy of Monty Python.

Pretty close. If Cleese played chess he could make it a skit.

Prudentia
pullin a écrit :

There's no honor in the game. 

I've played over 100 opponents who run around the board in 1 min games if they're losing, and believe they've legitmately won if they win on time. They take every win to their name.. if they're up one piece they feel they've won the game.. even if you win on time, but if your up every piece on the board and they run around and win they beat you.. or get one cheapo capture that ruins your attack. 

With all due respect, a lot of players who play at a level below 1200 don't have enough experience and understanding to be able to play bullet, or 3 0 blitz effectively.  It's not that chess isn't respected enough, it's just that the game isn't truely appreciated enough to new players. If anything gets to the point of negatively impacting your emotions, it's best to just quit doing it.

SocialPanda

Is bullet indecent?

charlieschnieder
SocialPanda wrote:

Is bullet indecent?

Yes, of course it is, absolutely indecent!

Prudentia
charlieschnieder a écrit :
SocialPanda wrote:

Is bullet indecent?

You know who also likes to play bullet chess?  That's right, the devil. :P

Boogalicious
Prudentia wrote:
charlieschnieder a écrit :
SocialPanda wrote:

Is bullet indecent?

You know who also likes to play bullet chess?  That's right, the devil. :P

lol Laughing

Boogalicious

but why waste your time with speed Chess?

...Correspondence events; it suits my temperment much better...

I think speed chess suits the temperament of some people and slower chess, other people. It's subjective, so can't be said to be a waste of time. (In point of fact, technically, it's a gain of time - playing speed chess).