Forums

Why do Americans like Bobby Fischer?

Sort:
Here_Is_Plenty

Had his problems?  He was a raging anti-semite.  Sure people who were against the Nazis before the US government was were labelled "premature anti-fascists" - I would like to think few of us have problems like our bobby.

dannyhume

Fischer wasn't a racist, he was simply mentally ill.  Alekhine wasn't a Nazi, he was simply under Nazi coercion to write anti-Jewish stuff.  Paterno did not enable child rape, he reported the second-hand account of alleged child-rape to his superior in accordance to protocol.  Gingrich isn't unethical for saying Obama should return Freddie Mac money even though Gingrich himself got paid by Freddie Mac as they collapsed, he is simply a politician.  That's Quagmire.  Giggity.

ilikeflags
i've got problems, but nothing compared to the lies dannyhume tells himself.
Tree_Beard

Fischer hated the American government believing it to be in colusion with Jews, which he detested more than anything in the world (more so than Russians!). This doesn't mean that he hated the PEOPLE of America so your assumption is and line of logic is therefore faulty friend.

On another note, why do people try so hard to paint all Americans as grossly ignorant?

Here_Is_Plenty

Its not our fault - we watch Jerry Springer.

Tree_Beard
Here_Is_Plenty wrote:

Its not our fault - we watch Jerry Springer.

Hehe, Jerry Springer, well that makes sense. Interesting to note that Jerry Springer's family were Jewish escapees from Poland... Maybe Fischer has a point...

UnratedGamesOnly
Benny_B wrote:

I personally love Bobby, as a person and a player. I can see why he went slightly mad, and frankly I dont blame him. He had his problems, but don't we all?

I gree with all have our issues, but Fischer was wayyy beyond normal everyday issues. 

OsageBluestem

I don't understand why some people hate Jews. It's strange. I'm not a Jew. But why pick them out. What did they do to Bobby Fischer?

ilikeflags
americans love celebs like the rest of the world. i've been enough places and seen enough to know that americans don't love celebs any more than the rest of the world. bobby fischer's popularity transcended "america."
Tree_Beard
OsageBluestem wrote:

I don't understand why some people hate Jews. It's strange. I'm not a Jew. But why pick them out. What did they do to Bobby Fischer?

Because people of ALL nationalities are capable of a great deal of stupidity. Look at what happened to the Jews in Germany, their only fault was that they had more wealth then their German counter-part because of their education and desire to thrive! So... needless to say we all know what happened after a certain someone incited the majority of others who were less well off. Anyways, let's drop this discussion as it relates to Jews :).

ilikeflags
no offense tree_beard, but what "happened to the jews in germany" wasn't based on their wealth, education, or desire to thrive. that's kind of simplifying something way beyond simplification. i guess i understand what you're saying, but it's not nearly correct enough to have been said. hitler's hatred and torture and slaughter of millions of European jews had very little to do their money.
Tree_Beard

I must respectfully disagree with you as well ilikeflags. The wealth inequalities in Germany with many Jews being in this affluent group coupled with poor living conditions of most everybody else due to the post-war treaty all played a huge part.  All these factors were perfect for breeding contempt of Jews... which Hitler's party absolutely thrived on.

bigpoison

Law abiding citizens.  A great historical argument to cultivate your criminal spirit.

bigdoug

You know, Bobby may have been a nut, and he may have said terrible things about jews, but as far as I know he never hurt a fly in his life.

minital
redchessman wrote:

I feel like you are generalizing too much.  As an American, I don't really like his personality, but his play at the pre-computer era was pretty good.  However, now a days his play/tactical shots don't really work at the highest level.

I don't think you have played over Fischer's games. He was a genius with tactics and in fact his tactics are beyond a lot of the computers today. He was more known for his positional play. http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1008419 Here are his tactics. And his tactics were almost always accurate and could be played even today. 

ilikeflags
yeah that explains why hitler only rounded the rich Jews up--and the the jews living in germany. like I said, you're painted all 8 million jews who were murdered into a corner that does little to honour the unspeakable horror they suffered and the historical basis for not only hitler's disdain for and attempted removal of them but the entire third riech's. i'll stop short of calling your claims moronic, because on some level, i get what you're saying and it feels like you honestly believe such bullshit, but that's it.
ilikeflags
the sterotypical economic "status" of jews in germany played a part for sure--especially in the case of hitler's gaining public approval for his purge, but that stereotype certainly is not "the reason". It goes so much deeper than that.
GhostNight

ilikeflags, was this about Fischer? Why do you keep emphasising Jewish history, and tying it to Bobby Fischer? he had nothing to do with Hitler, And I strongly believe Bobby did not dislike all Jews!  You are going to have this thread closed by bringing ethnic politics and profanity into it, (bullsh-t). Are you high on something tonight? Cannot we all just learn to get alongLaughing

ilikeflags
have you read the whole thread? it doesn't look like it. although it's funny to listen to people trying to defend fischer's hatred for jews or people in general.
redchessman
UnratedGamesOnly wrote:
NimzoRoy wrote:

However, now a days his play/tactical shots don't really work at the highest level.redchessman

OH really? Is there some citation for this bit of preposterous hogwash besides your sayso?

As for Fischer, I admired him as a GM but as a human being he was a stupid, selfish, sociopathic asshole - euphemestically known as "mentally ill."

I ignored that comment...But i would like to see the posters rationale for why he thinks this.

Its quite simple really.  In the computer-era the quality of chess has improved vastly since fischer's time.  These highly tactical situations where fischer just demolished his opponent won't arise very often anymore as the openings used at the highest level don't really lead these situations in modern play.  The only reason why there is still hype about Fischer is because he retired at his prime. Also his insanity contributed to this hype as it gave him some sort of mystique.  

This forum topic has been locked