Forums

why do more guys join chess club then women?

Sort:
electricpawn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-vgGuTD8A

arkansasgrl101

never thought of writing poems about chess before, i think i might try it

electricpawn

Give it a try!

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

MIL:  The USCF store has magnetic chess sets in several sizes.  They are still on sale I think.

waffllemaster

Because guys are more social.  They like to do things with friends like go to clubs together and play games with people they know.

Girls take chess more seriously.  They'd rather sit at home memorizing variations of the Sicilian defense.

Ruby-Fischer

Yeah, Waffle's probably right about that.

Scheviningen..  d3.  Ok dragon is a fianchetto, I know that much...  

Its hard after a couple of glasses of wine..... Schloznokov... d4..  ?

Lou-for-you

Yes, magnets are of no use to girls.

motherinlaw
Yipee-ki-yay wrote:

they are in themselves magnetic.

We "girls" have many powers.  Some are not visible to the casual observer.  But we have them.  And we all know we have them.  Oh, yes.  And that almost makes up for our having so much less economic and political power.  Almost.  :-)

Somebodysson

guys enjoy the company of guys more than girls do. 

motherinlaw
Somebodysson wrote:

That illustrates the problem with generalizations.  They're all false. ;-)

arkansasgrl101
Somebodysson ha scritto:

from most the girls i've talked to, they all seem more like "one of the guys" than (not then for you gramatical people) "one of the girls" and they're all in chess club.

Ramjet-1
motherinlaw wrote:

Oh, you guys!-- you've got me laughing out Loud!  Are you kidding? -- women won't "blend with guys" and will "spoil the atmoshere" and are "distracting" to male "concentration."  They're "too sensitive" and they "complain about male attention" and shift "blame" when they lose?

Did we just get caught in a time warp? -- so now it's 1953 instead of 2013?  That's 60 years ago! (I know that, since I was pretty Good in math, for a girl.)

So, really, come On, all you "grownup" guys, and quit spouting clichèd pre-Middle Ages gender nonsense to young men who're just trying hard to figure out the complexities of the female psyche.  Girls are complex enough to deal with without approaching them through prejudiced distorted lenses.

My advice to a smart guy in high school on how to make good connections with girls?  Work on really getting to know at least one girl, just as a friend.  

When you Listen to a girl talk about her feelings, and ask her honestly for her thoughts, and listen some more, Without judgment, and then ask more questions, and then listen some More, and end up by thanking her for being so open with you, you'll be amazed by all the trust you can earn and all the interesting things you'll end up learning.  (If the first girl you try this with isn't responsive, try again with another one, and just keep trying!)  Meanwhile, ignore the poor unenlighted, bitter troglodytes ... and good luck! :-)

<chuckle > Good post!

motherinlaw

Thanks! I'd forgotten I'd written that. (2 years ago!)  And it does seem like I used to have some pretty good ideas sometimes, even way back then, in the old days, when I was just a young whippersnapper, by cracky. :-)

watcha

Finally I was able to look at actual historical data on female participation. I analyzed the gender composition of the Fide standard rating lists from the last 16 years ( these are the publicly available rating lists that can be downloaded from the Fide website ).

While female participation overall has increased in this period this is mostly due to higher participation at very young ages.

If you look at middle age ( 20 - 40 years old ), active players, the participation has declined in the past 16 years.

Female participation went from 12.1% to 8.9% in this period.

Here is the complete data:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/4bb7fd7723d8fff6dfe3