Forums

Why do so few players play 30 min live chess?

Sort:
varelse1

Maybe I should switch to 30min games, then. Seems to be where all the adults are!Laughing

Pan_Paniscus

Hi, I prefer 30min chess, cause I'm a bit slower in the head, but I stopped playing that time control because I'm paranoid of people using engines, and I figured there'd be less engine users in the shorter time controls.

Cheers.

ticcherr

u no wat tey shud do.... sum1 shud make a group on here werre ppl who liek to play 30m+ shud join nd when ur online u go into da group chat room nd u can seek games on der...

even da dan hisemen group dont do dat u hav to play at certain times but if u got a group wit 2k+ member nd u had even jus 200 ppl on da chat room average den u cud seek a game by typin on der nd u cud moderate it nd ban ppl who cheat/waste time./disconect etc

y doesnt dis work??

edit: u cud even hav a group ratin so dat ppl can play unrated games but still have a ratin dat ppl cud refrenc when playin or a group league table liek obt etc..;

chessBBQ

Ill definitely play a 25+ 10 game.Add me peeps

Noreaster

vill0236 wrote:

Cloverstinnia wrote:

Many players do not have the patience for 30/0 because they think fast chess is more fun. However, 30/0 is the best time control for improving one's skills. It is best to notate and analyse the games as well.

30 minutes is not very long. I Think 120 min. Is the Best time control if you want to improve your chess. 30 min. Games is called rapid.

Wow! Game 120....game 90 5d is the standard at my club If I go into the big city Game 60 is the time control. I notice a huge difference in the game from 90 to 60. They are not the same game. Anything less than 60 minutes is akin to candy....it tastes good but it is terrible for you

TMHgn

I don't know why there is so much concern about cheaters. First of all, they cheat themselves more than anything. They may become GM level on chess.com but that does not serve them any good. Because in a real world OTB game they would be lost as always.

Even if one unknowingly plays against an engine, it still requires that one finds the best move. The game remains the same. Winning or losing, post-game there is always something to learn. The only annoying thing is that one's rating goes lower undeservedly because of such losses. But this is just a number. The actual playing skills always are what they are and can truthfully ony be established in real life OTB games.

Concern over playing against cheaters there is only if you are concerned about wins and losses. However, one should only be concerned about finding the next best more and learning to get better. The results will take care of themselves. In that sense, it is probably best to consider chess.com just as a big training arena. If one wants real results that fairly reflect one's skills, one should be playing (official) OTB events (of whatever time controls).

I second the mention that the DHLC group is a good group to join if one likes slow games. I am a member too.

chasm1995
varelse1 wrote:

I can't speak for everybody else. I don't play it just because there are so many trolls out there, who will play 4 moves. Then when they decide they don't like how the opening went, just walk away. (Darn! He didn't fall for it!)

And I really don't feel like waiing 29 minutes and 45 seconds for his time to run out. So I don't play 30 minute chess.

Realy, they give up a bit later when they play me.

Threebeast

I think many people just like bullet and blitz, I prefer 15min or longer but I do not like the live chess on this site. I prefer to  play on FICS or playchess.com. I think the one good thing that one can use fritz the number of chess engines to vary to time controls and style of play. My if this site allow me to use DGT board would play more live chess here.

darkener
TomHaegin wrote:

I don't know why there is so much concern about cheaters. First of all, they cheat themselves more than anything. They may become GM level on chess.com but that does not serve them any good. Because in a real world OTB game they would be lost as always.

Even if one unknowingly plays against an engine, it still requires that one finds the best move. The game remains the same. Winning or losing, post-game there is always something to learn. The only annoying thing is that one's rating goes lower undeservedly because of such losses. But this is just a number. The actual playing skills always are what they are and can truthfully ony be established in real life OTB games.

Concern over playing against cheaters there is only if you are concerned about wins and losses. However, one should only be concerned about finding the next best more and learning to get better. The results will take care of themselves. In that sense, it is probably best to consider chess.com just as a big training arena. If one wants real results that fairly reflect one's skills, one should be playing (official) OTB events (of whatever time controls).

I second the mention that the DHLC group is a good group to join if one likes slow games. I am a member too.

Maybe people don't like wasting their time playing against Houdini? If I wanted to play against a 3000+ ELO opponent, why should I do it on chess.com? If you want to entertain some sick people, please feel free to get crushed by their computer moves. You serve as cannon fodder and they can experiment at your expenses (time, electricity, nerves etc.) which lines bring the human opponent down most accurate.

Shivsky

The quality of slow chess on chess.com is still lagging compared to other seasoned servers like the ICC.  Stronger + more rigorous cheat/abuse detection and a ton of configurable flags / customizable parameters to find an opponent of similar strength or tweak the auto-disconnect/forfeit settings or even make sure you find somebody with an agreeable ping/latency. Neat stuff for somebody who has slow + serious chess on his diet.  

Of course one can argue over this one but the "everyone is a paying customer" aspect makes the seriousness/civility of players a wee bit better.  Perhaps people tend to be less of an a-hole if they have skin invested in something as opposed to something they get for free.

lightpot

The best is no clock, if you really want to analyze your position and find the best move.  But the shorter the time, the less it becomes chess and the more it becomes a question of who has the best reflexes.  If I want to improve my reflexes I'd prefer to go get some exercise. Smile  

darkener
chasm1995 wrote:
varelse1 wrote:

I can't speak for everybody else. I don't play it just because there are so many trolls out there, who will play 4 moves. Then when they decide they don't like how the opening went, just walk away. (Darn! He didn't fall for it!)

And I really don't feel like waiing 29 minutes and 45 seconds for his time to run out. So I don't play 30 minute chess.

Realy, they give up a bit later when they play me.

Am I missing something? Why not captured 5. Sg5 Qxg5    ?

Threebeast

I also found that use the program dasher is good.

denner

ticcherr wrote:

u no wat tey shud do.... sum1 shud make a group on here werre ppl who liek to play 30m+ shud join nd when ur online u go into da group chat room nd u can seek games on der...

even da dan hisemen group dont do dat u hav to play at certain times but if u got a group wit 2k+ member nd u had even jus 200 ppl on da chat room average den u cud seek a game by typin on der nd u cud moderate it nd ban ppl who cheat/waste time./disconect etc

y doesnt dis work??

edit: u cud even hav a group ratin so dat ppl can play unrated games but still have a ratin dat ppl cud refrenc when playin or a group league table liek obt etc..;

What language is this?

Oonland
vill0236 wrote:

Everytime i play longer games on chess.com i Won with about 5 min. Left and my opponent have 25 min. Left. People dont use Their time they need patience. Therefor they play blitz because they dont have patience to play games on 1 hour. But standard chess games normally takes 2-5 hours!

I agree. But I definitely prefer the longer games, even though they, well, take longerLaughing.

hockeymanchess

My 4th grader only plays 30 min chess. She's never complained to me about timeouts. She doesn't like blitz. Blitz is not how she has been taught nor is it played in tournaments in her age group. I personally like 15/10, maybe 10/0 if I'm in the mood for a faster game. Blitz for me is often a blunderfest.

ticcherr

i think insted of atackin my accent u shud concetrat on da mesage of my post wich was 2 get ppl dat wana play dese long games 2 join da chat rooms of a group...

incidentely der is a new group of awrat caled word standard time or sumat... either join dat group or awrat video leson or dan heismen lernin centra join dat nd go in da chat room so u can find sum1 2 play long game withou addin 10 ppl from da forum in ur frends nd playina genst them all da time...

Doc_who_loves_chess

@Shivsky, I agree that you will have much more serious players (much fewer trolls) when people are invested in the game. However, I don't think payment is the only way to achieve this, people also feel the same way about their hard earned ELO rating points. 

@Abhishek2, yes, there may well be people using engines above 1800 ELO, but this has no effect on me as I filter my opponents for 1400-1800. This seems to be the sweet spot where you filter out all the "time-out trolls" who seem to reside under 1400 (at least as far as 30/0 games go) and filter out all the engine-using cheats who seem to reside over 1800.  Perhaps it is because of this filtered range that I have only had game after game of serious human opponents who want to play real chess.

@Varelse1, yes, you should switch to 30 min games! I don't know if it is where the adults are, but I can speak from experience in saying, for the 1400-1800 range, 30/0 is where the small number of chess.com players who are interested in playing a solid well thought out game of chess reside. But we need more serious players, so please join us! Set the 1400-1800 filter range in settings, hit the 30/0 button, and then let me know the result...

chasm1995

I think that some people just don't have an hour to play a 30 minute game, yet they have ten minutes to play a five minute game or something similar to that.

December_TwentyNine
Cloverstinnia wrote:

Many players do not have the patience for 30/0 because they think fast chess is more fun. However, 30/0 is the best time control for improving one's skills. It is best to notate and analyse the games as well.

This is a very interesting thread. That's all I ever play on this site, is the 30 minute games! Since I'm still a patzer, I feel the need to look at the board often to find threats and weakened squares or hanging pieces to target. Well, at least that's my intention, anyway.