Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Why do so many resign early?


  • 10 months ago · Quote · #101

    alexcross90226628

    If you are down material with no counterplay and the end is nigh then it is good etiquette and saves embarrassment to resign. On the other hand, you are under zero obligation to do so and you shouldn't let anyone make you feel bad for playing to the bitter end. just don't expect a rematch or any other future games with said person.

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #102

    Fairy_Princess

    jetfighter13 wrote:

    good than you might have fun with a King's Gambit or two... they rarely stay Quotidian for long

    I'd agree with you, but I'm going to have to go look up quotidian first.

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #103

    badger_song

    I just re-read the OP,it still makes little sense to me,the OP describes dropping a queen as "things(in the game are) getting a bit distressed" but thats insufficient reason to resign.What then is a sufficient reason? I'd rather start a new game than play out a lost one to it's inevitable conclusion.Earlier in this thread,Doggy_Style stated something insightful,many players "resign because the game is over, as a proper contest." I think there is much truth to that statement.

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #104

    SkepticGuy

    Well, I didn't expect my first thread here to spark a multi-layered controversy. Tongue Out

    Clearly the barometer and conditions for resigning are different for many, and much more routine than I had expected.

    I suspect my anticipation was that playing others through chess.com was considered a learning environment, and that a too-soon resignation would have been impolite to one's opponent... which was why I never did until all avenues were exhausted.

    And likewise, when a game with a stronger opponent went to 69 moves, he down to just a King and a pawn, I wasn't impatient that he didn't resign.

    Oh well. Thanks for all the input... I have a better (good) understanding of the ettiquite involved here.


  • 10 months ago · Quote · #105

    trysts

    I would say to just play for as long as you think you have a chance to stop your opponent from winning. I think it's nice to give respect to your opponent by resigning, but it's clearly not necessary. The rules are to play to checkmate or draw. Smile

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #106

    Gyryth

    You resign when you want to resign for whatever reasons seem adequate to you. Nobody in the world has the right to say it was either too soon or not soon enough because it's not their call - it's yours. If they don't like that then they will not like the game of chess.

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #107

    jetfighter13

    Fairy_Princess wrote:

    jetfighter13 wrote:

    good than you might have fun with a King's Gambit or two... they rarely stay Quotidian for long

    I'd agree with you, but I'm going to have to go look up quotidian first.

    It means something very routine its almost an everyday occurance

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #108

    madhacker

    @chess_gg, I take your point that I could have done as you did and just resigned (therefore the suffering was partially self-inflicted), but to be honest the thought never even crossed my mind, it was win the game now and worry about everything else later.

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #109

    SocialPanda

    Gyryth wrote:

    You resign when you want to resign for whatever reasons seem adequate to you. Nobody in the world has the right to say it was either too soon or not soon enough because it's not their call - it's yours. If they don't like that then they will not like the game of chess.

    If you notice, is the OP the one who is saying that players here resign too early. 

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #110

    vpmisa

    Well, I just never give up till the end and I dont know  people think that is unpolite. I think game like real life. We should not give up, even we feel completely hopeless. I will fight till the end, even I know I will be lost. And I really like somebody who not resign too early. It is character, please dont think it is unsportmanship.

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #111

    TheGhostofTal

    ArtOfDeception wrote:

    Resignation is prudent when the position is hopelessly lost. What "hopelessly lost" means is different for every player.

    Very true.


Back to Top

Post your reply: