Forums

Why do you like chess?

Sort:
chessknight02

Why do you like chess??

baddogno

I don't, but it's less harmful than most of my other addictions.

badwitch0629

I don't know. Maybe my body just likes it cause I LOVE it.

chasm1995

When I was younger, it was the longest period of time I spent with my dad during the week.  Now, I use it as a way to focus my mind, which I have trouble with otherwise.  My Calculus teacher says I chasm all the time, meaning that when people talk, my mind makes connections to what they say and goes off on a completely different path after a second or two (hence my user nameTongue Out).

Xilmi

I've always liked turn-based-strategy-games.

Unfortunately most of them just took too long to complete in one session. Then I realized: The game I've been looking for actually existed since a thousand of years!

It really has something about it. It challenges the mind in a way few other games do. If you dive into it, it's really fascinating how moving a couple of black and white pieces over black and white squares can build up such a sparking tension!

bobbymac310
Xilmi wrote:

Unfortunately most of them just took too long to complete in one session. Then I realized: The game I've been looking for actually existed since a thousand of years!

It really has something about it. It challenges the mind in a way few other games do. If you dive into it, it's really fascinating how moving a couple of black and white pieces over black and white squares can build up such a sparking tension!

My feelings exactly!

tabor

There are two ways of keeping your mind busy: a) thinking good-for-nothing things ans b) thinking serious things (your job, your cultural likings, etc). Chess  happens to fall in this second group. If you have an inquisitive mind, if you like to face challenges, if you like to “solve problems”, then chess is meant for you. Specially if you dislike games based on luck, like dice or the “simple” checkers. (Dominoes, even being based on the hazardous distribution of the pieces, is the closest to chess as far as thinking is convern).

Rsava
Xilmi wrote:

This ^^^^^^^

I love war games, I even have no problem with them taking a long time.

But they take up lots of room. LOTS. (At least mine do.)

I can play a game on a small board and have the same game experience.

chessthing

“Chess is everything: art, science and sport”
(Anatoly Karpov)

AndyClifton

And a way to get your own apartment.

warmachine77

I don't know.