Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Why is touch-move rule not implemented in LIVE chess.com?


  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #21

    zborg

    The mouse makes it much easier to drop the piece where you didn't want it to go.
    So the problem cuts both ways.

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #22

    Syd_Arthur

    What zborg said.

    I was just thinking the same thing.

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #23

    AllanJones

    shell_knight wrote:
    wanmokewan wrote:

    Probably because it's too difficult to implement.

    wanmokewan wrote:

    Of course it doesn't seem difficult to you; you don't know programming.

    Sigh*  You're right.  The technology just isn't there yet.

    And if there were a person out there who could program such a feat, just imagine how much they'd charge for this task.  Not to mention the team of lesser programmers needed to fill in the gaps, the years of testing, and at the end of it all only those with high-end computers and decent technical know-how would be able to enjoy it.

    No, it's just not an option at this time.

     

     

     

    Wait.  I just realized it's simpler than not allowing illegal moves.  How embarrassing.

    LOL !! :-)))

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #24

    Superqueen500

    Because they cant see you clicking your piece?

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #25

    AllanJones

    Superqueen500 wrote:

    Because they cant see you clicking your piece?

    No, trust me, they can ... ;-)

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #26

    Mersaphe

    if u hav webcam

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #27

    blueemu

    Band-width.

    Under the current rules, each online player only needs to exchange TCP/IP packets with the server when the move is completed... say, forty or so times per game.

    Under your suggested "touch-move" rule, EVERY player who is logged into a game would need to exchange data with the server at least a dozen times each second.

    That would increase the band-width usage by a factor of at least 100x to 1000x.

    Can you say: horrible, unplayable lag?

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #28

    Mersaphe

    looks like we have a computer expert

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #29

    blueemu

    Mersaphe wrote:

    looks like we have a computer expert

    Not quite there yet, but I'm working on it.

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #30

    AllanJones

    blueemu wrote:

    Band-width.

    Under the current rules, each online player only needs to exchange TCP/IP packets with the server when the move is completed... say, forty or so times per game.

    Under your suggested "touch-move" rule, EVERY player who is logged into a game would need to exchange data with the server at least a dozen times each second.

    That would increase the band-width usage by a factor of at least 100x to 1000x.

    Can you say: horrible, unplayable lag?

    So basically, you are explaining us that real-time-online-massively multiplayer games do not exist.

    Well, I was quite sure they do but now I start thinking I was wrong...
    :-)

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #31

    Mersaphe

    i don't think chess can implement this feature unless everyone becomes a premium member. the technology exists but it's expensive

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #32

    blueemu

    AllanJones wrote:

    So basically, you are explaining us that real-time-online-massively multiplayer games do not exist. 

    Certainly they exist. But the vast majority of the calculations (such as ALL of the graphics processing) is done client-side. The information exchanged in data packets refers mostly to (x,y,z) coordinates.

    In other words... MMOs are played almost entirely on YOUR computer, not on the server.

    Are you saying that chess.com should upload their proprietary chess software onto your computer whenever you log on?

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #33

    AllanJones

    [quote]

    Are you saying that chess.com should upload their proprietary chess software onto your computer whenever you log on? [/quote]

    Of course they should if it helps working smoothly.
    Unlike MMOGs, there's nothing more basic and public domain that chess game algorithms.

    But in fact, I got 2 or 3 non-technical arguments posted here which make me beleive that after all, the factthat the rule is not i mplemented is not such a big issue.

    So for me: problem solved ! ;-)

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #34

    the_corrupt_bishop

    It's not a difficult coding issue, you could simply make the piece selection sticky, but like others have said, we have mouse-slip drawbacks and the rule was created for OTB not online. Calling it cheating is a bit of a stretch, or maybe AllanJones dislikes conceding a silly argument.

    If put to a vote, I'm sure the vast majority here would vote this RFC down.

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #35

    shell_knight

    Woah, exchange data a dozen times each second?  I don't see how this would increase much of anything.  You only need to communicate for the first click of a piece that can legally move.  All other clicks can be ignored.

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #36

    Spider-Waffle

    Seems pretty solid, better simulates playing OTB.

    It would only increase the band width usage by a factor of less than 2, since it's less data to commincate which piece is touched, than which is moved and where it's moved, and you'd only need commicate which is piece is touched once per every move.

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #37

    AllanJones

    the_corrupt_bishop wrote:

    [...] or maybe AllanJones dislikes conceding a silly argument.

    Not at all :-) you didn't read correctly my last message. Or maybe was it due to my "airport English"? So let me restate: I said that I have been convinced after reading some comments in this thread that this is not an issue and that for me there's no more problem.  :-)
     
    However, on the purely IT technical side, I firmly belive that implementing the rule would not be difficult at all. But that's a discussion about IT, not chess.
     
    But again, I agree it's probably better not to have the rule enforced online.
  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #38

    owltuna

    Seems to me that since the interface already illuminates a square when it is touched (onMouseClick/onMouseDown - using java terminology but...), it would be not a big chunk of work to check if there is a piece on the square and then apply the appropriate rule (and I just checked, and I see there is already some verification done: a square will not illuminate unless it contains a piece).

    But as others have said, I don't see the point, touch-move is a rule meant for discipline over-the-board.


Back to Top

Post your reply: