Forums

Why Isn't Carlsen the World Champion?

Sort:
sapientdust

pfren, "He is by far my favorite" refers to Carlsen or Aronian?

Why do you say Aronian is nowhere close to Carlsen? They are just 12 ELO apart in the live ratings, and Aronian seems to be closing. Doesn't that indicate that they are pretty close in terms of how well they do against their peers?

champ_weller
sapientdust wrote:

pfren, "He is by far my favorite" refers to Carlsen or Aronian?

Why do you say Aronian is nowhere close to Carlsen? They are just 12 ELO apart in the live ratings, and Aronian seems to be closing. Doesn't that indicate that they are pretty close in terms of how well they do against their peers?

yes but once you reach that level 12 points is a lot

finalunpurez

Carlsen is an engine himself. Nuff said

hankas

Note that world chess champion must be human. Carlsen isn't. Capablanca also wasn't human, but he behaved and talked like human. So people didn't notice.

finalunpurez

Rofl. IMO, fischer is a engine too :P

Ben_Dubuque

No Fischer was just insane, Comfortably Numb, Dazed and Confused, Coplaining about the Russians as being Another Brick in the Wall, his mind was on The Dark Side of the Moon, what ever you want to call it, FIscher was a LOON

finalunpurez

U should at least mention thats in his late years.

Ben_Dubuque

even in his early years, he was a bit nuts, albiet he could be a somewhat normal human, but after 1972 he went off the deep end.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Carlsen is not World Champion for the same reason I am not. He didn't compete for the world champion. Now Korchnoi, Bronstein, Keres, Reshevsky, Kamsky, those guys are different. You gotta be in it to win it.

fabelhaft
joeydvivre wrote:

"From what I understand, Carlson is very good in tournaments, but in one on one match play he has struggled."

Where do you understand this from?  To my knowledge Carlsen has played no 1-1 matches of any significant length.  There is just no basis for this.  

Yes, I think the only "long" classical match Carlsen has played was the Candidates match against Aronian in 2007, but then he was only 16 and ranked last of the participants while Aronian was ranked first. After the rapid tiebreak it was 5-5 but then Aronian won the two blitz games. Some very exciting and well played games there:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=61997

In rapid Carlsen has won a match against Leko:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=64376

In general I don't think there's much of a difference between matches and tournaments though, the best players score good results regardless of the format, just like it was in the days of Lasker, Capablanca and Alekhine.

Scottrf

No, he's American.

Master_Po

You guys are funny...up there with the world champ, Larry the Cable Guy. 

I really like this chess crowd, much better to be around than poker players.

So it's settled?  Magnus Carlsen WILL BE the world champion the next time around, i'd say at 23 years old - i'll take this young phenom versus the field.

champ_weller

yeah i only see anand or gelfand getting any better and carlsen is only going to climb so my two bets on who will be in the next wcc match will either be carlsen or aronian and they will be playing Anand

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Of the current top GMs, my favorite is Aronian.

ultrajohn

ok, guys, this question might be way off topic, but i still have not found any article which answers this question in details: why and how did Ivanchuk gets called the MAD GENIUS?

thank you!