Forums

Why should ya want to win ???

Sort:
Vleerkens

Playin' chess here (yes i do mainly the one minute bulletgames) i see a lotta people think that they have to, that they have too, have too... win ! At least, to do your utmost to achieve that...
Sorry, but i laugh to them all...
Chess is just a game, just a game, just a game... and really nothing more at all !!!
Even when ya loose everything here ? Will that have effects on ya privatlive at home (Especially in a economic way ?), i don't think so !!!

So, well, i know, chess is all about win and losses, that's the game, okay ! But look to it in another way, and you'll be relased from pressures !!!

But of course, that's my opinion...
Vleerkens Vögel

trigs

we're talking about a game in which its very nature is a competition. competition requires a will to win, otherwise it's not a competition, it's just playing for fun (and i personally do not gain enjoyment from losing)

therefore, in chess winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.

second place is just first loser.

fissionfowl

I hate this "it's just a game" stuff. Why not let other people decide for themselves how important chess is to them?

bastiaan

Why do you type in dialect? Because to me it would almost seem you are not taking yourself too seriously, at least it doesn't help your argument. 
I think for most chess is not just a game, I would prefer to call it my own personal research on chess. Of which my progress and understanding manifests in games.
Playing the game is challenging another one's understanding of the subject, and the winner has greater comprehension.
If you don't care about winning, you can't really care about chess. As trigs says 'winning is the only thing'. 

Grizzlay

It all comes down to personality. 

In sports and games, some people are driven to win, other just enjoy the game.

Most of us, are somewhere in the middle. I play to win, but if I loose, it's just another learning experience. Use it, learn from it, and don't let it upset you.

Just playing, without trying to win, is not something I can do. It would be a disservice to my opponent and me. He want's a challenge (while he tries to win), as do I.

MyCowsCanFly

Winning is incomplete. You can still win with a crappy plan and/or crappy execution.

trigs
MyCowsCanFly wrote:

Winning is incomplete. You can still win with a crappy plan and/or crappy execution.

so that also suggests that you can lose with a good plan and good execution. so i guess that makes losing sometimes "complete" according to you? i don't think i agree (even though i have no idea what you mean by "complete").

MyCowsCanFly
trigs wrote:
MyCowsCanFly wrote:

so that also suggests that you can lose with a good plan and good execution. so i guess that makes losing sometimes "complete" according to you? i don't think i agree (even though i have no idea what you mean by "complete").

I think you can draw with a good plan and good execution. In fact, some would argue the "perfect" game is both sides playing best moves and ending in a draw.

planeden

I look at it more internally.  I want to play the best that I can (and improve).  If I make stupid mistakes and lose a game then I am disappointed in myself.  If I play the best I can and the other person just outplays me and wins, I still enjoy it (almost?) as much. 

bastiaan

you can win with a crappy plan, but that means your opponent had a worse plan or defense. You can also draw with a good plan if your opponent knows the game equally good. Winning doesn't mean you play well, but it does mean you play better than your opponent.

Losing with a good plan (to personal standards) is possible, but losing makes a plan (general standards) bad in its definition.

At least thats how I think of it 

fissionfowl
bastiaan wrote:

you can win with a crappy plan, but that means your opponent had a worse plan or defense.

Not necessarily. One could outplay their opponent and then just hang their Queen and lose. In that case it's likely the opponent didn't have a better plan.

losing makes a plan (general standards) bad in its definition.

What do you mean by "general standards"? Determined by who? Everything's relative. I could play one of my best games against Anand and would still lose.

bastiaan
westy1 wrote:
bastiaan wrote:

you can win with a crappy plan, but that means your opponent had a worse plan or defense.

Not necessarily. One could outplay their opponent and then just hang their Queen and lose. In that case it's likely the opponent didn't have a better plan.

I don't suppose hanging a queen would be part of any plan, but the move causing to hang your queen is imo part of a plan poorly executed or a poor plan. Assuming every move is part of a global or calculated plan, and moves are not made randomly. Such a move would degrade a plan to a worse plan than your opponent's. I think the quality of a plan is subject to its outcome in such a way that error's are also part of a plan, or its risks.

losing makes a plan (general standards) bad in its definition.

What do mean by "general standards"? Determined by who? Everything's relative. I could play one of my best games against Anand and would still lose.

I've put this poorly, but what I meant was that a losing plan is flawed enough to make a loss. I don't mean anything absolute with this, because many great plans would lose to for example Anand. But in an objective way you could say the plan is flawed and the winning one better, so the losing plan was bad. Of course any plan is flawed, so I should have said better/worse instead of good/bad.

Musikamole

I need to learn how to be a better loser, then chess would be more fun. I hate to lose and don't know why.

Vleerkens

Hmmm..., seems i'm the only one whois seeing the light. Urgent call from me to ya all: "People... become free of yaself. See the life as it really is !"

Well, of course i know it's in the game trying to win... But when ya win, do you feel like a God(dess) than ?! Do you still feel: "I'm the one !" etc, etc...

When people never ever had have the drive (Wrong Gen ?) to win... ? Perhaps than we could have avoid a lotta wars etc, etc... But unfortunelately... ... ... ...

trigs

Hmmm..., seems i'm the only one whois seeing the light. Urgent call from me to ya all: "People... become free of yaself. See the life as it really is !"

simply because you have a different opinion from most does not mean you "see the light" and others don't. and simply because i enjoy winning and i always try to win does not mean i'm "not free".

Well, of course i know it's in the game trying to win... But when ya win, do you feel like a God(dess) than ?! Do you still feel: "I'm the one !" etc, etc...

yes, when i win i feel happy, and when i lose i feel disappointed.

When people never ever had have the drive (Wrong Gen ?) to win... ? Perhaps than we could have avoid a lotta wars etc, etc... But unfortunelately... ... ... ...

winning and competing in a game is not the same as fighting and killing in wars. i honestly do not feel the need to give examples of how these are completely different concepts.

fissionfowl

@ Bastiaan: Good points.

MyCowsCanFly
Vleerkens wrote:

Huh?

trysts
MyCowsCanFly wrote:
Vleerkens wrote:

Huh?

yepLaughing

bastiaan
westy1 wrote:

@ Bastiaan: Good points.

thanks!:)

Vleerkens

people are bound to earth and material things. It is especially in chess that those behaviour manifest themselves. When ya become really free... You'll be on my level... And win a game ??? You'll laughing about such silly thing...

But... perhaps... some people have still a long way to go... to achieve that...
Success !