Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Why start a game and then don't move for days?


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #1

    stumpygrumpy

    I've had this happen to me several times in the past few months.  Someone initiates a game, I accept, and then they don't move for days and sometimes over a week.  One individual just did this to six members, with a 14-days/move setting, and has yet to move for 8 days now.  My question is why??

    21 months after posting the above:

    The game just finished ....... after 21 months.  I would like to know ahead of time that I was committing to a game for this length of time.  Wouldn't you.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #2

    omnipaul

    Because they're allowed to take as much time to make their move as they want, perhaps?  People generally want longer time control games because they're not online every day to play.

    If someone isn't prepared to wait 14 days (plus available vacation time) for a move, then why accept a game with that time control?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #3

    theoreticalboy

    Yes, but waiting 8 days to make the first move is pretty strange, and i think that's what the OP is getting at here.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #4

    adude23

    Why start a game with 14 day time control and expect your opponent will move within a couple hours of your move?

    Just relax; it'll be your move eventually.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #5

    omnipaul

    theoreticalboy wrote:

    Yes, but waiting 8 days to make the first move is pretty strange, and i think that's what the OP is getting at here.


    There's nothing indicating that the other person was online when the challenge was accepted.  For all we know, the person initiated the challenge, was online for a few hours, then logged off.  Sometime later, the OP accepted the challenge and the initiator hasn't yet returned to the site.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #6

    theoreticalboy

    I must say, I've never known open seeks to last for a few hours on this site.  I guess I am in the most popular time zone, though.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #7

    stumpygrumpy

    theoreticalboy wrote:

    Yes, but waiting 8 days to make the first move is pretty strange, and i think that's what the OP is getting at here.


     Exactly.  Why not wait till you can play and then start game(s)....  I would think playing a few moves right away to get things rolling is customary.  Waiting 8 days just comes off to me as being kinda thoughtless, and I would never do it to someone.  But, it takes all kinds to make the world go'round.  I have already decided I will no longer accept games over 2 or 3 days per move.  Thanks for all the replies.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #8

    stumpygrumpy

    adude23 wrote:

    Why start a game with 14 day time control and expect your opponent will move within a couple hours of your move?

    Just relax; it'll be your move eventually.


     I didn't say I necessarily expected a move within a couple hours.  I said I expected a first move before 8 days........

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #9

    UnratedGamesOnly

    stumpygrumpy wrote:

    I've had this happen to me several times in the past few months.  Someone initiates a game, I accept, and then they don't move for days and sometimes over a week.  One individual just did this to six members, with a 14-days/move setting, and has yet to move for 8 days now.  My question is why??


     And with this post, you understand my chess.com name

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #10

    browni3141

    TraNS-LoOT wrote:

    Legal but rude and careless .I agree


     Why is it rude? If you accept a 14 day/move challenge then you can expect a move within 14 days, or you win. It's as simple as that. If you don't like it only accept challenges with shorter time controls like I do.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #11

    GnosticMoron

    I seldom engage in play with less than a three day per move time control, because I frequently need that much time to get back and make my move. So if I see someone propose a time control of even longer, I tend to assume the player will likely need that much time for whatever reason.

    It's the beauty of correspondence play.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #12

    browni3141

    TraNS-LoOT wrote:

    well,should i write it again ? LEGAL but ....


     No need to write it again. I know what you said, and I disagree with it. It's really not a big deal to wait a few days and if it really is to you then there is an easy way do avoid it.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #13

    Ubik42

    Once you have enough games going, there is no reason to care. I just do them as they pop up. Sometimes a player is on vacation, and I even forget the game is going on.

    When I dont feel like I am being kept busy enough, I just start a few more games.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #14

    bjazz

    GnosticMoron wrote:

    I seldom engage in play with less than a three day per move time control, because I frequently need that much time to get back and make my move. So if I see someone propose a time control of even longer, I tend to assume the player will likely need that much time for whatever reason.

    It's the beauty of correspondence play.


    Exactly. There's short time controls ranging from 1|0  to a few days/move. The impatient players here have plenty to choose from. What I don't get is accepting 14d/move challenges and expecting your opponent to play as if it were <8d/move. Some of us can't make it every day. Not even every week.

    The stats regarding average time per move is a handy function.

    Give us a break, play more games and don't call us rude. It's rude.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #15

    waffllemaster

    I think it is rude because they have an open seek and then don't log back in for many days/week.  Taking 10 days to play an only move when in check?  Fine, no problem.  Taking 10 days on the first move?  Rude.

    I understand there's life outside of chess.com, but that changes nothing IMO. Also, to start multiple games this way hints at abuse. If there's a history I think it's a strong indication.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #17

    GIex

    That's what time controls are - a time restriction agreement. Noone should expect the opponent to play faster than the time control, there's no reason for that.

    If you want your opponent to play once a day, why should you start a 7 days per move game? What's the point? Start a 1 day per move one, or 2 days per move if you want to have some time tolerance for both of you and your opponent.

    All problems with the opponent's playing speed are due to nothing else but improper time format choice, which is totally free to choose, and unsound expectations that your opponent will make concessions by not taking his/her time to think, play another game, drink a cup of coffee, go to a holiday or whatever he/she chooses to use that time for. The opponent is the last one to call rude or whatever, because of not having any fault at all.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #18

    McAlbion

    InvisibleDuck wrote:

    Once you have enough games going, there is no reason to care. I just do them as they pop up. Sometimes a player is on vacation, and I even forget the game is going on.

    When I dont feel like I am being kept busy enough, I just start a few more games.

    That about sums it up. Who knows what's going on offline? And when I want a faster game I go for tighter time controls.


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #19

    blake78613

    Some people have lives to lead.   For example, a traveling salesman who is only home on the weekends.  Or someone who works on an offshore oil rig.   Not everyone has Internet access at home, and some have to wait till they have time to make it to the public library before they can transmit a move.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #20

    chebf123

    i'm having this small problem as well.  it throws me off.


Back to Top

Post your reply: