Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Why were "Garde la damme" and even "check" abandoned?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

Greenmtnboy

Anyone have an answer on this topic, why garde la damme (when the queen was attacked) and the "check" warning have largely been abandoned in serious chess?   When did warning the player fall out of fashion?  Thanks.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

Wilbert_78

Hmmz, I never said Garde la Damme, but I still say check :) Most of the time with a big irritating smile on my face :D

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

TyrannusVerticalis

In my entire chess lifetime I only knew one player who said "garde" when threatening the queen; this was casual play.  So I never knew it was a custom elsewhere.

If your definition of "serious chess" includes rated OTB play, probably the most logical reason for not announcing check verbally is that talking during the game is discouraged if not actually contrary to the laws of tournament chess.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

fyy0r

Greenmtnboy wrote:

Anyone have an answer on this topic, why garde la damme (when the queen was attacked) and the "check" warning have largely been abandoned in serious chess?   When did warning the player fall out of fashion?  Thanks.

If one is playing "serious" chess, then he probably already knows he's in check.  Calling out check is redundant and only useful for beginners

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

champ_weller

Well my brother in law insists that i say garde but i always say check but anywho my brother in law annoys me he still uses descriptive notation as well becasue we were playing a game and i said damn i dont wanna play d5 and he was like wtf is d5

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

satxusa

I always say, "Your Lady" and "Check" OTB.  Very satisfying.

Post your reply: