Forums

Why...?

Sort:
913Glorax12

I have the same problem, here, I play like an IDIOT!

OTB:I play like I have common sense(sometimes close enough to get a trophy but only just missing it by a few hairs)

I have read books, learning new openings and using them in OTB. On the computer. FORGET IT! I stink!

VULPES_VULPES
pawpatrol wrote:

Set up a real chess board for your online games, like I often do.

I don't have a chess set small enough to fit on my desk. :P

VULPES_VULPES
mzo2014 wrote:

The technical is : You are'nt good enough at tactics to overcome the psychological reasons.

????

I think I'm reasonable at tactics.

VULPES_VULPES
Jimmykay wrote:

Great question, Vulpes, and I think I have the answer.

When you play OTB, in a tournament setting, there are no phones, tv, email, etc. Just you and the board.

At home, on your computer, there is just so much more stimuli to filter out.

that could be

PossibleOatmeal
VULPES_VULPES wrote:
pawpatrol wrote:

Try the kitchen table (that's where mine is).

VULPES_VULPES
pawpatrol wrote:
VULPES_VULPES wrote:
pawpatrol wrote:

Try the kitchen table (that's where mine is).

maybe

Ironman111

Maybe the computer is a step further away from nature than the chess board.

PossibleOatmeal
Estragon wrote:

It's not just the "Real" board, it's the whole atmosphere.  The other games, the quiet, the ticking and banging of the clocks and pieces, the lack of distractions.

Online at home there may be other noises you cannot control, temptations you cannot resist, and there is just not the same urgency because the game isn't "real" - for official ratings and prizes.

For important online matches (the importance you assign is totally up to you--one of the things I do is play in team leagues where your play doesn't just affect you, but your entire team--this helps a lot with the feeling of importance) I will arrange babysit and use my noise reduction headphones (which I also use at otb tournaments).  The others hitting clocks and obnoxious ticking of old-timey chess clocks are horrible distractions that I think make it harder to concentrate at otb tournaments.

VULPES_VULPES
Estragon wrote:

It's not just the "Real" board, it's the whole atmosphere.  The other games, the quiet, the ticking and banging of the clocks and pieces, the lack of distractions.

Online at home there may be other noises you cannot control, temptations you cannot resist, and there is just not the same urgency because the game isn't "real" - for official ratings and prizes.

Perhaps that is so. Most people play chess on chess.com for fun anyway, so they won't take their games very seriously.

Lady_Autumn

I also find that it is easier to focus on an OTB chess game than one on a screen such as the computer or cellphone. I win most of the games against my brother when we play on a board and he wins everytime its on a screen :/

ColonelKnight

I would think the tactile element of a real board probably gets you to focus harder. Probably more stimulating.