Forums

Will I ever reach 2000?

Sort:
FN_Perfect_Idiot

Is this a realistic goal and/or how long will it take me?

I have anaylsed my traits in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

Pros:

• Enthusaistic.
  • Reasonable tactical awareness.
  • Inspirational boosts occasionally to beat higher players.
  • Has enough resources to hire several coaches at once ongoing for lessons.

Cons:

• Virtually no opening knowledge.
  • Struggles to memorise openings with more than 2 moves.
  • Impatient.
  • Gets very angry over losses.
  • Every time has a really good game is almost immediately followed up by a complete "howler" of a game. 1 step forward, 1 step back. This has gone on for about 20 years.
trysts

x-5058622868

The coaches would be a big help. The question would be whether or not it is enough to overcome your cons. Given enough time i'm guessing it should be for the average person.

Fear_ItseIf

I suggets if you are so motivated do many tactics puzzles. 10 a day will do, however if that is easily accomplished then you could try maybe 20 or 30.

Having coaches if youre willing to spend the resources is a big +.

Opening arnt necessary yet at your level, so those two points arn't a problem.

The anger is probably due to frustration, but if you put serious effort into improving it should go away as you win more.

HOWEVER, remember, the more you win the better players you play. Winning 1 game then losing the next isnt weird, it averages out with your rating, so its something you will have to get used to.

All said, I think it is entirely possible for you to get to 2000.

String-Rider

Hey mate, I wish you luck on your way to becoming a 2000 player. May I give you a little advice? All righty then. Now there is no easy way to say this but you have just got to stop playing bullshit like this: stop moving you king out like this:

3.Ke2 then 4.Kf3

you did this twice against the same opponent and got battered, once in 7 moves!

Now I've looked at four of the recent games that you lost and quite frankly you have a long way to go. It's not impossible but you need to realize a couple of things that are not reflected in your playing.

1. It's not enough to know how the pieces move.

2. When your opponent moves a piece, say a queen, you must be able to see where that piece has possible squares to go to, ie, that it's attacking, not just on the one it's standing.

3. Chess is a game of patience.

4. you don't need to learn reams of opening analysis, just find a system, say, the "Kings Indian Attack" if your white, or the "Modern" if your black. These openings can be played almost at will regardless what your respective opponent plays in the early stages. The reason I say these two is because of the ease with which they can be learnt and they give good chances for the win, there are others. Once you have gotten a feel for how to open a game, then, you can begin to learn the other more well known ones. These are just suggestions, others on here may very well tell you differently. such is the nature of chess and people.

So my friend, do not take it harshly, of what I have said, tis a noble goal you have there and I wish you luck.

FN_Perfect_Idiot

Well I just can't remember anything more than 2 moves. Too many combinations to recall. Here is a demo of a game I might play and how I think.

TetsuoShima

no you are not a perfect idiot, you are just a candidate. Im the perfect idiot.

Well the thing with memorising is normal, it changes with experience...

chasm1995

@ perfect idiot: my father always says, "Wish in one hand, shit in the other.  See which one comes first."

BabyRhinoRainbow
chasm1995 wrote:

@ perfect idiot: my father always says, "Wish in one hand, shit in the other.  See which one comes first."

...you should probably run away from home.

TetsuoShima
chasm1995 wrote:

what came first??? 

FN_Perfect_Idiot
chasm1995 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand this anecdote.

x-5058622868

If you're serious about reaching 2000, then get a coach, and quit focusing on your problems. If you're of average intelligence, your coach will rectify them.

GambitExtraordinaire
Perfect_Idiot wrote:

Is this a realistic goal and/or how long will it take me?

I have anaylsed my traits in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

Pros:

Enthusaistic. Reasonable tactical awareness. Inspirational boosts occasionally to beat higher players. Has enough resources to hire several coaches at once ongoing for lessons.

Cons:

Virtually no opening knowledge. Struggles to memorise openings with more than 2 moves. Impatient. Gets very angry over losses. Every time has a really good game is almost immediately followed up by a complete "howler" of a game. 1 step forward, 1 step back. This has gone on for about 20 years.

Ignore theory. Before you are at least 1500, you don't need diddly squat for opening knowledge.

Instead of wondering "what I'm supposed to do here" just try looking at the board and making sensible moves in the opening. Analyze both sides. Pretend that you are playing both sides, and before you make a move also think about what you would play to counter that move. If the counter is better than your move, then don't play it.

Just some thoughts up through the opening. Not much point in going too much further because Black starts making lots of mistakes.

chasm1995
Perfect_Idiot wrote:
chasm1995 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand this anecdote.

It's an improbable wish that extremely few people can achieve.  You are better off doing something else productive and achieveable.