Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Women's World Chess Champion fails Bishop+Knight mate


  • 11 months ago · Quote · #161

    Polar_Bear

    plutonia wrote:

    Hold on one second.

    Women's world champion receive the GM title as award "for free". That's how Ushenina got her GM title. Her peak rating was 2502, but I don't think she did any GM norm so she's not a "real" GM. They gave her the title of GM only because she's female.

     

    Second, as I said before if a woman plays only in segregated tournaments her rating is just nonsense because the standard in women's tournaments might be much, much lower.

    Only women who deserve a title and recognition as chess players are those who play in "non-segregated" tournaments. Polgar, or Hou Yifan for example.

     

    blueemu, if you look at the currently FIDE list of the strongest women, it's clear that most of them don't deserve the GM title. Their ratings are just too low and with few exceptions they come from playing in segregated events.

    There's even a GM with a rating of 2389.

    http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1004786

    Her GM title hasn't been "for free". Winning the FIDE women championship knockout is great achievement, definitely higher than ordinary GM norm.

    Also I would like to see people not back up their arguments about player's strength on ratings. According to Arpad Elo, ratings shouldn't serve that purpose. Ratings are merely statistical tool.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #162

    Estragon

    Polar_Bear wrote:
    plutonia wrote:

    Hold on one second.

    Women's world champion receive the GM title as award "for free". That's how Ushenina got her GM title. Her peak rating was 2502, but I don't think she did any GM norm so she's not a "real" GM. They gave her the title of GM only because she's female.

     

    Second, as I said before if a woman plays only in segregated tournaments her rating is just nonsense because the standard in women's tournaments might be much, much lower.

    Only women who deserve a title and recognition as chess players are those who play in "non-segregated" tournaments. Polgar, or Hou Yifan for example.

     

    blueemu, if you look at the currently FIDE list of the strongest women, it's clear that most of them don't deserve the GM title. Their ratings are just too low and with few exceptions they come from playing in segregated events.

    There's even a GM with a rating of 2389.

    http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1004786

    Her GM title hasn't been "for free". Winning the FIDE women championship knockout is great achievement, definitely higher than ordinary GM norm.

    Also I would like to see people not back up their arguments about player's strength on ratings. According to Arpad Elo, ratings shouldn't serve that purpose. Ratings are merely statistical tool.

     

    Baloney.  If winning the FIDE women's title was really a greater achievement than the usual GM norm process, she would be turning in GM norms regularly - since she is better than that, right?

    It makes no sense to assert this.  All these automatic titles for Women's, Senior, and Junior champions are bogus.  It is a great achievement to win any of those titles, but it is NOT the same as fulfilling the normal requirements.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #163

    CorrespondenceKing

    I am glad I just mastered the mate today!

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #164

    blueemu

    Estragon wrote:
    All these automatic titles for Women's, Senior, and Junior champions are bogus.

    How do you feel about Fischer's bogus GM title?

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #165

    Polar_Bear

    Estragon wrote:

    Baloney.  If winning the FIDE women's title was really a greater achievement than the usual GM norm process, she would be turning in GM norms regularly - since she is better than that, right?

    It makes no sense to assert this.  All these automatic titles for Women's, Senior, and Junior champions are bogus.  It is a great achievement to win any of those titles, but it is NOT the same as fulfilling the normal requirements.

    She would have if she had played in rated men's tournaments enough.

    I am a lot more skeptical about GM titles achieved with ordinary norm processes. There are a lot of pre-arranged results, bribery and even bogus tournaments also happened.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #166

    shoopi

    CorrespondenceKing wrote:

    I am glad I just mastered the mate today!

    Congrats. It pays off.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #167

    paK0666

    blueemu wrote:
    Estragon wrote:
    All these automatic titles for Women's, Senior, and Junior champions are bogus.

    How do you feel about Fischer's bogus GM title?

    I assume Fischer cleared the norms during his career.

     

    So in the end him having the title is ok, but I agree with Estragon, those titles are worth less then getting a GM title the "normal" way.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #168

    Polar_Bear

    And I disagree with Estragon, because to win women championship knockout is definitely harder (a lot!) than achieve GM norm.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #169

    SmyslovFan

    Think of it this way:

    There are 29 women who are Grandmasters. 

    I don't know for sure how many women are still alive who have won the World Championship, but I'm pretty sure it's far less than 29. And most of the women's world champions were grandmasters before they won.

    Having said that, the tournament format for the last women's world championship was a bit of a lottery, much in the same way that Ponomariov and Kasimdzhanov won world championships. 

    Ushenina's rating has hovered around 2500 for a while now. She is certainly GM strength. 

    Meanwhile, Lilienthal and Epishin were both grandmasters who failed to solve the B+N mate over the board. I'm still surprised that a modern GM wouldn't be able to do it, but Ushenina's credentials are not dented by that. She is still 2450-2500 strength.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #170

    macer75

    keju wrote:
    PhoenixTTD wrote:

    Arg, for premium members only. Maybe Ushenina is not a premium member.

    lol

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #171

    macer75

    titled players get free premium membership if they sign up for an account. Too bad Ushenina didn't.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #172

    Mandy711

    CorrespondenceKing wrote:

    I am glad I just mastered the mate today!

    Congratulations. I still can't mate Fritz. Not easy.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #173

    shoopi

    Mandy711 wrote:
    CorrespondenceKing wrote:

    I am glad I just mastered the mate today!

    Congratulations. I still can't mate Fritz. Not easy.

    Are you "just trying", or did you actually learn a method? (Deletang's Triangle, or the standard "W" maneuver).

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #174

    shoopi

    By the way, another fun and unorthodox yet useful ending, is Q vs N.

    It's considerably easier than B+N, but not as straight forward as Q vs B at least. As far as I'm away there is no specific method to do this, other than placing your king and queen on "good squares" - that is, squares where the knight cannot check you (or god forbid, fork). Basically just push the opponent's king to the edge of the board, and from there checkmate or the win of the knight can be forced.


Back to Top

Post your reply: