Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Would a 2000 ELO player beat Kasparov if he had a piece advantage?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

peterdubec

Let's say a bishop, or a knight.

What do you think? (I'm asking those players who have at least such ELO)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

Vance917

How extensive is this calculus that puts pieces on the same plane as differences in rating?  It would be nice to have a table that would allow us to look up any two ratings and see an approximate difference in terms of pieces.  I wonder, for example, how much of an advantage a 1700 would need to be favored over Kasparov.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

DaBigOne

I doubt it, Kasparov gave a simul to the Czech team, and won. How can he not beat a 2000 player down a knight?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

LeeBradbury

Kasparov, even now, out of practice, could beat a 2000 ELO without his queen.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

ChessforFunn

A piece is a piece... so i would expect a 2000 ELO could beat Kasparov. Unless, of course, Kasparov sends some critical attack that dominates the 2000 ELO guy.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

pellik

I'd expect Kasparov would manage a draw in many cases. Kasparov is a strong tactical player and could find sacrifices for perpetual and such. Furthermore even down a piece I'd imagine Kasparov could reach some sort of drawn endgame.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

Meilan1

Perhaps we can try an experiment. Pfren or Joeydvivre should try playing against one of the strong chess engines at a strength of around 2800 and see if they can win an odds game (without takeback). Then post the game here.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #12

ohsnapzbrah

It depends on the piece and scenario.

His color + piece he loses

White + knight = win or draw (for Kasparov)

White + bishop = win or draw

Black + knight = any result

Black + bishop = draw or loss

• 2 years ago · Quote · #13

pellik

If I gave Kasparov king odds I'm sure I'd at least draw. Kinda hard to get mated without a king.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #14

Samsch

joeydvivre wrote:

Hmm..not sure I agree with IM pfren.  Kaufman says a piece is worth about 1000 ELO to an IM but it degrades as you go down the scale.  So Kaufman a 2400 player believes that he can give up a knight to an 1800 player and be even.  An 1800 is even with a 1400 at knight odds and so on.  So 2800 Kasparov vs 2000 expert...it's close.  But I bet if they did it very often the expert could get better at it and gain an edge.  

+1

• 2 years ago · Quote · #15

chess2Knights

A piece would not be nearly enough. It would take the Queen.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #16

bronsteinitz

Nimzowitch was known to give earthlings à rook advantage but asked A2-A3 in return. Hè then always played italian game where THE pawn on A3 made that Bb4 was not possible after THE central Exchange and people had to play Bb6 and hè demonstrated then THE well known pawn roller plus king attack and always won... Hè was à trickster...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #17

chess2Knights

White has a 1/2 pawn advantage. About 50 USCF rating points. A pawn is worth about 100 USCF points.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #18

bronsteinitz

À new chess rating system! In summary I learned today on chess.com :

Fide ELO = USCF + 150

USCF 50 = 1/2 pawn

So fide 1850 = 20 pawns !

How many pawns are you?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #19

MarvinTheRobot

I wouldn't find it hard to convert an extra piece into a win, even if I were playing Kasparov. Provided I have much time to think (the regular 1:30 +15s.) I don't think I'd make huge blunders that would give Kasparov an edge. It's just about simplyfying.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #20

bronsteinitz

Robots Cannot take their engine with them OTB.

Post your reply: