Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

?


  • 4 years ago · Quote · #1

    SMerc3

    ?

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #2

    MsJean

    Finding the Best Move (In Chess & Life)

    Chess Strategies and Tactis,  add chess  adhd chess bd chess behavior disorder 

    http://www.checkmatesusa.com/finding-the-best-move-in-chess-life/

     

    10 Benefits of Chess

     Experiments revealed that, chess leads to improvement in cognitive functioning (as chess improves attention, memory, organization skills and perception). It improves the ability of cognitive-impaired individual to work on issues related to orientation, sensory stimulation and environmental awareness.

     http://www.squidoo.com/benefits-of-chess 

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #3

    rich

    Couldn't imagine anyone with ADHD being any good at chess.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #4

    SMerc3

    rich wrote:

    Couldn't imagine anyone with ADHD being any good at chess.


     Then you are clearly misinformed about ADHD I suffer my IQ is 139, just 2 points under Einstein.  Another member is in the 99.5% of the best of you guys so no it affects certain areas not all

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #5

    rich

    SMerc3 wrote:
    rich wrote:

    Couldn't imagine anyone with ADHD being any good at chess.


     Then you are clearly misinformed about ADHD I suffer my IQ is 139, just 2 points under Einstein.  Another member is in the 99.5% of the best of you guys so no it affects certain areas not all


    And your chess rating is in the 1200's... I am not a perfect person either, I was diagnosed with autism when I was about 6 years old. 

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #6

    SMerc3

    Yet my math aptitude excelled grad students outside of high school? We are not afforded the luxory of which avenues of life are affected. If you also not I plow thru players in the 1600 rage as often as they do me and take my time outs I believe 30% into consideration, along with beating 1700+ players more than once my clarity is beyond my realm though when there it will rival most the best would you like to join?

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #7

    MsJean

     

     

     June 04, 2011

    Interview with the Academy Award nominated Director

    Interview: Bobby Fischer Against The World Documentary Director Liz Garbus
    Author: Katey Rich
    Bobby Fischer known to have Bipolar Disorder
    http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2011/06/interview-with-academy-award-nominated.html

    Professional chess player, recently diagnosed bipolar

    Postby Shakhmaty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:27 am

    http://www.psychforums.com/bipolar/topic52402.html

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #8

    rich

    I've beaten plenty of players in the 1600/1700 range in turn based. And a couple in the 1800 range as well. Timeouts are just one aspect of chess. As for my math, it was always average in school. But I was always the best at textiles everytime. Is this group of yours on chess.com or on another website?

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #9

    SMerc3

    rich wrote:

    I've beaten plenty of players in the 1600/1700 range in turn based. And a couple in the 1800 range as well. Timeouts are just one aspect of chess. As for my math, it was always average in school. But I was always the best at textiles everytime. Is this group of yours on chess.com or on another website?


     Its here Manic Minds is the name

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #10

    SMerc3

    MsJean wrote:

     

     

     June 04, 2011
    Interview with the Academy Award nominated Director
    Interview: Bobby Fischer Against The World Documentary Director Liz Garbus
    Author: Katey Rich
    Bobby Fischer known to have Bipolar Disorder
    http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2011/06/interview-with-academy-award-nominated.html
    Professional chess player, recently diagnosed bipolar

    by Shakhmaty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:27 am

    http://www.psychforums.com/bipolar/topic52402.html


     

    Fischer was highly unlikely to be bipolar.  Bipolar do not conform to "loners" during mania e.g symptoms increased sex, garrulous, danger seeking, overly hyper etc.  Fischer from the research I had deduced suffered the same disorder that Einstien had, it is/will be or something to that affect of Autism unfunctional for various avenues in life, socially inept and fixated on one particular thing it is the way they relate to information devoid of sentiment like the real life rain if you have ever seen that documentary.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #11

    MsJean

    I saw the documentary and the definitive statement is out. I just say that there are many Bipolar people Churchill,Eienstien,Polgar,Lewis and Clark I am sure..who do great things and are great people. All worth the time to play chess with!

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #12

    planeden

    SMerc3 wrote:

    Fischer was highly unlikely to be bipolar.  Bipolar do not conform to "loners" during mania e.g symptoms increased sex, garrulous, danger seeking, overly hyper etc.  Fischer from the research I had deduced suffered the same disorder that Einstien had, it is/will be or something to that affect of Autism unfunctional for various avenues in life, socially inept and fixated on one particular thing it is the way they relate to information devoid of sentiment like the real life rain if you have ever seen that documentary.


    everyone reacts to symptoms differently and not everyone has all of the same symptoms.  not mention, no of the symptoms you listed really require anyone to be social.  although, you may have to use your imagination on a few of them.  so, you can be bipolar and a loner. 

    you can also be bipolar and have rare and small manic episodes.  so, if someone is manic just a few days a year, then they can still be a loner and just come out of a shell for those few days.  mental illnesses are complicated.  of course, i am not going to try to diagnose someone through a documentary.  so, you could be right, but your logic is flawed. 

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #13

    SMerc3

    planeden wrote:
    SMerc3 wrote:

    Fischer was highly unlikely to be bipolar.  Bipolar do not conform to "loners" during mania e.g symptoms increased sex, garrulous, danger seeking, overly hyper etc.  Fischer from the research I had deduced suffered the same disorder that Einstien had, it is/will be or something to that affect of Autism unfunctional for various avenues in life, socially inept and fixated on one particular thing it is the way they relate to information devoid of sentiment like the real life rain if you have ever seen that documentary.


    everyone reacts to symptoms differently and not everyone has all of the same symptoms.  not mention, no of the symptoms you listed really require anyone to be social.  although, you may have to use your imagination on a few of them.  so, you can be bipolar and a loner. 

    you can also be bipolar and have rare and small manic episodes.  so, if someone is manic just a few days a year, then they can still be a loner and just come out of a shell for those few days.  mental illnesses are complicated.  of course, i am not going to try to diagnose someone through a documentary.  so, you could be right, but your logic is flawed. 


    Pleasure seeking is deduced to high doses of neurochemicals in primitive form we find dopamine when we win, norepinephrine & epinephrine are released in risky behavior, seratonin is released in a sense of happiness which is achieved thru relations with others.  Sex is natural and yet you never really seen fischer with a chic, einstein had two kids but didn't like his wife~in fact his own cousin forced him to marry her an attribute of a "persistantly submissive personality" logic dictates a moment of clarity in the order at the very least outside of depression the only time one is likely to be submissive, look up the symptoms "feeling of invincibility" "over-inflated sense of self worth" that is borderline narcisistic and that confidence does not allow room for their life as a whole they do not show that, rather an extremely overly conscious sense of 1 thing for both.  Sorry that would be wrong einstein undoubtedly I had asked my shrink for my website due to the controversy around him (I wished he was to be able to had listed him in all sincerity he would have been a good person to depict but I couldn't).  Ms Jean I know for a fact if you are who you say you are you are familiar with the DSM-IV TR here are all the 35 phases to which bipolar people must adhere to *35 is the broadest in the manuel* they would not fit in anywhere here this is on my page verbatim and cited from the DSM-IV TR if you can find which diagnosis would apply to either of them you should not be doing what your doing.

    http://memoirsofamanicmind.weebly.com/what-is-bipolar-disorder.html#/

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #14

    MsJean

    Im sorry...Did I offend you? My goodness...I didnt think encouraging people to play chess was a bad thing..No matter where they live....what their socioeconomic status is. No stopping the young, the old, the sick, the well. Its a great game ! I hope anyone who can understand and wants to play will take the time to do so. I think they will enjoy the benefits it has to offer. Smile

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #15

    MALVINSTARDUST

    i think all people with any disability or disorder should be allowed to play chess if that is their wish and go for it i say encourge more to play.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #16

    planeden

    Smerc3,

    first, i don't have the DSM and the portion quoted on there doesn't make sense.  basically it seems to say to be bipolar you have to have manic/hypomanic episodes and depression.  gee, that's helpful.  but, from the definition of manic episode at the top of the page, there is a "can" in there that changes much of your argument. 

    "Manic refers to an episode in which the patient can manifest a vast array of symptoms, including  appearing to be uncontrollable, delusional, possessing an excess of energy, promiscuity, grandiose behavior, not feeling it necessary to sleep, falsely inflated ego, etc. For the complete list of symptoms and criteria necessary to diagnose a "Manic-Episode" please refer the criteria cited in the DSM-IV TR. (1) "

    so that lists many common symptoms.  but you can't tell me that if someone does not meet just one of the listed common symptoms (like sex) then they are not classified as bipolar. 

    personally, when i am in the height of a manic episode i try to avoid the outside world because i don't like appearing to be out of control.  i don't like coming down from such a high and realizing all of the stupid things i did, which often times just worsens the inevitable depression that follows.  if i am desperate for human contact in these times i try to limit myself to my close friends who know me and what is going on. 

    so of the list presented i lack promiscuity and falsly inflated ego.  granted my ego may be inflated, but with good reason  :).  of course, delisional is a bit hard to figure out, since by definition i think they are true, but you know, people say i have it. 

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #17

    rich

    MsJean wrote:

    Im sorry...Did I offend you? My goodness...I didnt think encouraging people to play chess was a bad thing..No matter where they live....what their socioeconomic status is. No stopping the young, the old, the sick, the well. Its a great game ! I hope anyone who can understand and wants to play will take the time to do so. I think they will enjoy the benefits it has to offer. 


    Chess has nothing to offer.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #18

    stanhope13

    Did,nt Paul Morphy have some  problems.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #19

    SMerc3

    planeden wrote:

    Smerc3,

    first, i don't have the DSM and the portion quoted on there doesn't make sense.  basically it seems to say to be bipolar you have to have manic/hypomanic episodes and depression.  gee, that's helpful.  but, from the definition of manic episode at the top of the page, there is a "can" in there that changes much of your argument. 

    "Manic refers to an episode in which the patient can manifest a vast array of symptoms, including  appearing to be uncontrollable, delusional, possessing an excess of energy, promiscuity, grandiose behavior, not feeling it necessary to sleep, falsely inflated ego, etc. For the complete list of symptoms and criteria necessary to diagnose a "Manic-Episode" please refer the criteria cited in the DSM-IV TR. (1) "

    so that lists many common symptoms.  but you can't tell me that if someone does not meet just one of the listed common symptoms (like sex) then they are not classified as bipolar. 

    personally, when i am in the height of a manic episode i try to avoid the outside world because i don't like appearing to be out of control.  i don't like coming down from such a high and realizing all of the stupid things i did, which often times just worsens the inevitable depression that follows.  if i am desperate for human contact in these times i try to limit myself to my close friends who know me and what is going on. 

    so of the list presented i lack promiscuity and falsly inflated ego.  granted my ego may be inflated, but with good reason  :).  of course, delisional is a bit hard to figure out, since by definition i think they are true, but you know, people say i have it. 


     Your correct a "manic episode" is predominately in that of bipolar I and there is an axis the diagnosis if you went thru all thirty five they eliminate root causes and there is another axis I didn't bother getting into as that was a little overwhelming to whom is not in that field, and when I have the time to translate it to clear cut black and white thru explanations I will cover the other axis.  But there up until the revision having need a "Major Depressive Episode" at least once and the truth is most all that I personally out of hundreds with the disorder from my time in the shrinks office, it is a lifetime cycle ofter which will overtake the prophylactic use of stabilizers to prevent the episodes.  And for the record I encourage everyone to play chess even welcome ANYONE WITH A DISORDER to join us in our group jean was in the circumstances are irrelavent as I respect what she said to me but do not assume she had/has a disorder, I AM STATING SHE NEVER ONCE INFERRED in fact denied having one which I believed and still do it was a comment she understood, and she does play chess just not with us it is a closed group for a reason.  I respect others wishes of privacy on the matter, I however am open.  And an inflated ego is a good ego, despite what that book says.  It goes hand and hand with you can do what you see in your mind's eye.  So no I don't agree with all medical accepted facts of the disorder I merely remain neutral to assure no bias is inflicted one way or another.

    Regards,

    SMerc3 

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #20

    planeden

    i don't know how many things they went through or axes it has, i just take the little pills and work to manage the symptoms.  perhaps you can invite me to your group and i'll check it out.


Back to Top

Post your reply: