Forums

How to post a game using a PGN file [A step by step guide for Chess.com dummies]

Sort:
LelaCrosby

I just posted my first game.  My computer doesn't support the PGN file, so I just copied and pasted the moves into the place to put the PGN file.  It doesn't get all the details of the game but you can just type those in (if it's really necessary).

kco

"bump"

corrijean

Laughing

MikeChurch

Brilliant guide! Thanks a million, instructions don't come better than this!

kco

*bump*

Rowan

Cool

Otomun

Is it possible to post games using an iPad?

Smile

Thanks

Planetchess
CrecyWar wrote:

Step number one doesn't work for me, I don't get the DownLoad Box??? whats up with that?

I got the same problem, I don't get the Download Box???

Ballofwhacks

Cool, I'll use that.

Alipun

thank you for information...

stephen_33
Planetchess wrote:
CrecyWar wrote:

Step number one doesn't work for me, I don't get the DownLoad Box??? whats up with that?

I've downloaded many game PGN's in the last 18 months & I don't ever remember seeing the download box but then that's the problem - things change! You no longer have the option of opening a downloaded PGN in a text-editor like Notepad, instead you have to download the file onto your device's hard-drive first & then open it in your text-editor.

Once you've done that, copy all the text of the PGN to the clipboard & paste into the game creator as the instructions above describe.

Hint:  It's better to open your downloaded PGN file by browsing to it from within your text-editor. If you double click on a PGN file, some devices (I think MAC's are an example) don't like it very much. Also remember to set file-type to 'All Files', else editors such as Notepad won't display any files that don't have .txt extensions.

AlCzervik

I hadn't posted a game in about a year. This really helped. Thanks, BadGambit.

(c.c should have given you a free membership for this)

kco

*Bump*

kco

"Bump" for the newbies.

AlCzervik

Right on time, ozman. Gotta keep this one going.

royalbishop
stephen_33 wrote:
Planetchess wrote:
CrecyWar wrote:

I've downloaded many game PGN's in the last 18 months & I don't ever remember seeing the download box but then that's the problem - things change! You no longer have the option of opening a downloaded PGN in a text-editor like Notepad, instead you have to download the file onto your device's hard-drive first & then open it in your text-editor.

Once you've done that, copy all the text of the PGN to the clipboard & paste into the game creator as the instructions above describe.

Hint:  It's better to open your downloaded PGN file by browsing to it from within your text-editor. If you double click on a PGN file, some devices (I think MAC's are an example) don't like it very much. Also remember to set file-type to 'All Files', else editors such as Notepad won't display any files that don't have .txt extensions.

Good!

stephen_33

I need to correct my earlier post #55!

My usual browser is Google Chrome & that only allows you to dowload a PGN file but will let you browse to any destination folder.  I've been using Firefox for a day or two & I've noticed when I download a PGN file, I do get the kind of dialogue box mentioned before.

That box gives the choice of opening the file in a text editor such as Notepad or downloading it. I don't like the download part much because you can't choose the folder - the Downloads folder is used by default.

So whether or not you see the dialogue box, depends on which browser you use!

ConnorMacleod_151

The word 'dummies' brought me here Laughing

AlCzervik

Another bump. I need to post some of my best losses, so I came here.