Forums

Account Unfairly Restricted

Sort:
Tawny112

My account was unfairly restricted.  I am required to play someone whos score is over 300 to 400 more points than me.  I constantly get aborted to play games by other people.  I would like to have my account placed back on full access so that I can play, I just joined the site and only have a couple of friends that are never on.  I am a paying member, and will delete my account if I dont get an opportunity to use this web site.

TadDude
Tawny112 wrote:

My account was unfairly restricted.  I am required to play someone whos score is over 300 to 400 more points than me.  I constantly get aborted to play games by other people.  I would like to have my account placed back on full access so that I can play, I just joined the site and only have a couple of friends that are never on.  I am a paying member, and will delete my account if I dont get an opportunity to use this web site.

From all the irate players it appears the site did not think through the legitimate reasons people abort games.

There appears to be no thought of how players could fix accounts when they have no friends. In effect a lifetime ban.

http://www.chess.com/groups/view/fair-play-transgressor-rehabilitation-centre

pathfinder416

Go into "Game Type Settings" to put an upper and lower bound on opponents' ratings when you put out a challenge.

browni3141

People that abort games are pathetic. The only legitimate reason to abort is if you are unable to play the game (something comes up on very short notice?). If someone has to abort for some reason the least they could do is apologize so that I don't think they are a complete a**hole and block them. There are no good reasons for challenge accepters to abort  because:

1. You know the time controls before you accept.

2. You know your opponents rating before you accept.

and there are no good reasons for challengers to abort because:

1. You can choose exactly the range of ratings allowed for your opponents

2. You can set your own time controls to anything you want

If you abort because you don't want white/black, then I have nothing to say, except that your a cowardly wuss.

If you abort because your opponent hasn't made his first move after a reasonable amount of time, (say 10s), then that's probably the second and last legitimate reason to abort.

TadDude
pathfinder416 wrote:

Go into "Game Type Settings" to put an upper and lower bound on opponents' ratings when you put out a challenge.

Too late. Such players now have to remove all restrictions and play anyone until they can get back into the main pool.

browni3141
RoseQueen1985 wrote:

^That "abandon" idea has been tried in the past as it's a complete utter failure. You will haven tons of games waiting to be adjourn. People used to abandon to avoid resigning. A no,forcing an adjudication isn't an easy fix. You'd have to wait days before you can claim an adjudication,(to give the opponent a chance to adjourn),and even then,the position would have to be really in your favor in order for it to count as a win (you need to have an eval of something like +1.5 in order to be considered having a clear advantage) 

Not to mention it gives the admins plenty of more work to do. They'd have to hire people to just monitor adjourned games. 

Here's something a mature adult would think about: if your playing time is limited,or if you know you may have to get up at any time and go,simply DON'T play. If you play,you can try playing an urated game,that way if you must go,you simply hit resign and leave (yes,I do it all the time,but I'm more mature than the vast majority of people here. Like,superiorly mature compared to you guys. I know resigning a won game is unthinkiable to you guys because you'd rather drink gasoline than resign a game).

I'm an adult. I work close to 70 hours a week sometimes. A lot of of times, I play my games while at work (my job allows me the luxury of doing this,so bite me before you throw some snarky comment). However,at any time I can get a call,and I must go. Guess what happens if i'm 2 moves away from mating and I get the call?I hit resign,grab my gear,and go respond to my call. So I don't want to hear excuses from other people. I don't care if you got kids,if you work,none of that matters. When you sit down to play,you owe it to your opponent (and to yourself,if you consider yourself a man),to play,till the end. And not hit abort like a sissy boy because your opponent played the French or he is lower rated than you.Don't like the game parameters?,don't click "accept". Period.

I've been playing game online for close to a decade now. And either in a console game,or while playing chess,have I ever had to DC on someone. Every time I sit down to play,I play till the end. Be mature and responsible. I don't believe these overly dramatic excuse on why people had to abort or DC. Even if you must go,does it really kill you to hit resign? every time you hit that x on your browser mid game,you lose your manhood.

Brilliant post. I completely agree.

Skwerly
pathfinder416 wrote:

Right.

1pawndown

Those who abort are less offensive to me than those who abandon lost games.

chessdude46
RoseQueen1985 wrote:

^That "abandon" idea has been tried in the past as it's a complete utter failure. You will haven tons of games waiting to be adjourn. People used to abandon to avoid resigning. A no,forcing an adjudication isn't an easy fix. You'd have to wait days before you can claim an adjudication,(to give the opponent a chance to adjourn),and even then,the position would have to be really in your favor in order for it to count as a win (you need to have an eval of something like +1.5 in order to be considered having a clear advantage) 

Not to mention it gives the admins plenty of more work to do. They'd have to hire people to just monitor adjourned games. 

Here's something a mature adult would think about: if your playing time is limited,or if you know you may have to get up at any time and go,simply DON'T play. If you play,you can try playing an urated game,that way if you must go,you simply hit resign and leave (yes,I do it all the time,but I'm more mature than the vast majority of people here. Like,superiorly mature compared to you guys. I know resigning a won game is unthinkiable to you guys because you'd rather drink gasoline than resign a game).

I'm an adult. I work close to 70 hours a week sometimes. A lot of of times, I play my games while at work (my job allows me the luxury of doing this,so bite me before you throw some snarky comment). However,at any time I can get a call,and I must go. Guess what happens if i'm 2 moves away from mating and I get the call?I hit resign,grab my gear,and go respond to my call. So I don't want to hear excuses from other people. I don't care if you got kids,if you work,none of that matters. When you sit down to play,you owe it to your opponent (and to yourself,if you consider yourself a man),to play,till the end. And not hit abort like a sissy boy because your opponent played the French or he is lower rated than you.Don't like the game parameters?,don't click "accept". Period.

I've been playing game online for close to a decade now. And either in a console game,or while playing chess,have I ever had to DC on someone. Every time I sit down to play,I play till the end. Be mature and responsible. I don't believe these overly dramatic excuse on why people had to abort or DC. Even if you must go,does it really kill you to hit resign? every time you hit that x on your browser mid game,you lose your manhood.

Great point RoseQueen. That is kinda what I would have said, except I wouldn't have said it.

XxNoWorriesxX

Why not just play someone who is 300 to 400 points higher than you? Undoubtly there is something that you can learn from their gameplay and it will force you to really consider your moves.

Also, since they are such a higher rating your rating shouldn't change much if you lose, but should go up more than usual when you win. What is there to lose?

If you end up playing a person rated a couple hundred below you then you shouldn't have anything to worry about so why not play the game?

I just don't get aborting games, but then I play to learn and get better and don't care much what my rating says anyway. I just want to improve.

hassan15649

i can not ply or challenge

Tawny112

I contacted the staff.  And they have reset my ability to challange.  I still have the warning up/  However I am able to play again, and I just do not abort games, no matter what.  If i dont have the time to play, I just dont play.  However if my connection goes back, thats not in my control.  I still think there should be a more appropriate way to deal with this issue, but ive heard alot of good suggestions on this list.

hassan15649

how can i do

RetGuvvie98
[COMMENT DELETED]
NimzoRoy
RoseQueen1985 wrote:
^ I have the same problem. Strong players refuse to play standard chess and keep playing bullit and blitz to avoid losing their precious points. I'm reduced to playing 1200s in unrated games because they are the only ones that will play a standard game of chess.

Funny I haven't had any problems finding  players about my rating or higher-rated, either by joining Team Matches where it appears likely I'll get paired with a tough opponent and by looking around for challenges from other players at my level or higher. Then again, I don't know what your version of a "strong player" is but I've played several opponents rated +2200 which was certainly strong enuff for a patzer like myself.

Here's a class tnmt you can enter right now 

http://www.chess.com/tournament/17th-chesscom-tournament-1801-2000

browni3141
NimzoRoy wrote:
RoseQueen1985 wrote:
^ I have the same problem. Strong players refuse to play standard chess and keep playing bullit and blitz to avoid losing their precious points. I'm reduced to playing 1200s in unrated games because they are the only ones that will play a standard game of chess.

Funny I haven't had any problems finding  players about my rating or higher-rated, either by joining Team Matches where it appears likely I'll get paired with a tough opponent and by looking around for challenges from other players at my level or higher. Then again, I don't know what your version of a "strong player" is but I've played several opponents rated +2200 which was certainly strong enuff for a patzer like myself.

Here's a class tnmt you can enter right now 

http://www.chess.com/tournament/17th-chesscom-tournament-1801-2000

By 'standard chess', I believe he's reffering to standard time controls in live chess.

razzle

Strong players avoid standard.

razzle
razzle wrote:

Strong players avoid standard.

Of course the above post sounds stupid and is so. But that's what you get when someone edits your post. So let me rephraze it:

Strong players avoid standard when there is a good reason to do so. However strong players love over-the-board chess.