Forums

Another 'Draw Offer' question

Sort:
guitarzan

Is there any notification that a draw offer has been declined other than the fact that your opponent makes another move? I'd just like to know with certainty that the draw offer was actually seen and refused.

PLAVIN81

YOUR OPONENT MUST AGREE AND ALSO CLICK ==DRAW OFFER= HE MAY BE ABLE TO MAKE ANOTHER MOVE OTHERWISE THE DRAW OFFER WS NOT ACCEPTED

knightspawn5

If a draw is accepted by your opponent, the game will end and say " Game Drawn By Agreement".  If he makes a move, then you need to make one, then he declined the draw. Then the game continues.

wensleydale

I agree with Shadowknight911. It's pretty irritating to see that you just declined a draw offer which you would have accepted if you had seen it. The other side of the coin is that, if draw offers were really conspicuous, they should only show up at the time when they are supposed to be made - i.e. when the offeror makes his/her move. It's distracting to see a draw offer come up when you are thinking about your move.

kshc027

No there isn't any notification that a draw offer has been declined. The game just continues and that would mean your opponent declined the draw.

guitarzan

Thanks for all the responses.

Any chance that a Chess.com technician reading this could explain why there isn't a formal 'Draw Offer Declined' notification? I realize it's redundant in the sense that if your opponent makes a move, they obviously didn't accept the draw offer. I just want to know that they actually saw and acknowledged the offer, and not, as Shadowknight911 and wensleydale brought up, just overlooked it.

Thanks in advance! Chess.com is a very good site Smile.

Zaiger

Much like OTB chess, your opponent can shake your hand or make a move after a draw offer – both indications which direction the game will go.

It is an interesting suggestion, though.

guitarzan

Thank you, Zaiger. I figured it was derived from OTB standard practice.

goatt23
Zaiger wrote:
Much like OTB chess, your opponent can shake your hand or make a move after a draw offer – both indications which direction the game will go.

But you know for a fact that you asked, 'Wanna call it a draw?' which from what I understand is the issue now (people not knowing if their opponent saw the offer to begin with).

I think a popup should come up on the move list and chat and doesn't let you move until you accept or decline.  Both players should be aware the offer was made and whether it was accepted or rejected.

Metastable

I've also been stung by not seeing a posted draw offered to me (this was online, not live) - it was not very visible at all, and it wasn't until later in the day when I checked my email that I saw a draw offer had been made, and by that time it was too late to accept. Even if there is no formal "digital handshaking" required to acknowledge/decline an offer, I would really appreciate a more visible notification (ugly bright colours, big fonts, etc).