Forums

board won't show in email chess

Sort:
carlo123456789
 well im needing help too cheesbord help            

erik
If you are using Internet Explorer or FireFox: make sure you have JavaScript enabled. Then try hitting "control+R" to do a hard refresh. If that doesn't work, try rebooting and then Control+R again. If THAT doesn't work, try reinstalling the latest versions of IE or FireFox!

If you are using Safari: unfortunately, the Safari browser does not fully support all JavaScript. You have 2 options: First, try FireFox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html) - it will work for sure. Second, try the latest version of the Safari browser (http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ - currently BETA version 3.0.3) - that will most likely solve the problem.
redrum
piemonkeydude wrote:

I had to resign every game in email chess because of this, does anyone have this problem as well?

Yep me as well somthing is wrong here. Board will only show after a retart & defrag for me. running IE6 & win98. Other sites work ok.

RedSoxRule
erik wrote: well, to be honest, safari has big-time problems. apparently it isn't ready for the big-times yet. it isn't grown up enoughto handle some javascript stuff. i recommend you use FireFox.  you CAN use safari, but you have to use version 3.0.3 (the latest beta version) to play chess, but sometimes that doesn't work to post in the text editor (the fancy text-box you use to leave comments). go figure.  sorry :(

I'm having the same Safari issues viewing the chess board for on-line games, but not against Little Chess Partner.  Is FireFox free, and is it better in every way than Safari?  I guess I'm worried about switching browsers to fix Chess.com, but something else breaks in FireFox.  Your thoughts?

wetpaste
I have had major issues with the Opera Browser (version 9.23, gentoo linux). It works really smooth but I usually have to refresh a couple of times which is just a pain. So I mostly use firefox. Opera just doesn't cut it for most things I have noticed.
venkatesh920
hu here uses opera? Opera is also a very gud browser especially for this site...
lu1965
lu1965 Posted on: 16 Jan 2008 10:18 PM
================================================================
Ticket ID: 27391 Daily Puzzle board is missing and pieces show but not board , no, it just does not work the board will not show 64 squares. I do have the lastest javaSCRIPT installed . If you have no answer just say so.I have tried suggestions you emailed me .
lu1965
Mozilla FireFox board does not show just pieces same problem
chess_cake
Some pieces were disappeared in analyzing board when I was analyzing one of my games, but after I reloaded the page, that was fine.
lu1965

My system is win home edition xp sp2 with a p4 extreme processor With Mozilla FireFox board still does not show just pieces same problem  Ticket ID: 27391 Daily Puzzle board is missing and pieces show but not board , no, it just does not work the board will not show 64 squares. I do have the lastest javaSCRIPT installed . If you have no answer just say so.I have tried suggestions you emailed me .In little chess partner pc game the board shows  and works.  I use IE7 and firefox.I do have the latest java installed and  enabled. I have win xp sp2 o/s system . I still have the same problem. Yes I did a virus scan and system is clean. Only on this web page the board  squares do not show for email chess and posted puzzle games.I have been waiting for an answer  on resolving this problem.

lu1965
Laughing I resolved the problem. The solution was to go to  control panel and choose  Accessibility Option and go to Display tab and take check mark off of Use High Contrast and now all of my browsers- IE7, firefox ,& MSN display  chess board with squares.  Now this was done with XP ,not sure of other O/S systems but is  similar if you  used high contrast setting in windows. So if control + R doesn't work  this may be the solutionWink
LMN
I have the same kind of problem as the person at the top
kptom

I am currently having a problem where the board will show, but no pieces are displayed. This does make it kind of difficult to playTongue out.

The board and pieces displayed correctly as of yesterday. Any idea what's going on? 

I am on a Mac PowerBook, 10.4.11, using Firefox 2.0.0.14.

piotr
Yes, we had a 5 minute problem - please try to reload the page now.
bjuti

Hi! 

I have a problem like kptom, two messages up:

I am currently having a problem where the board will show, but no pieces are displayed. This does make it kind of difficult to playTongue out.

The board and pieces displayed correctly as of yesterday. Any idea what's going on? 

I am on a XP, IE 6.0

aault

Hi all- I've suffered this as well and have managed to isolate this to a specific scernaio - hopefully it will help us to track down a solution.

Specificaly i get the board, but no pieces. This happens in turn based chess and tactics trainer - the daily puzzle is OK. I'm using Firefox and Windows XP.

However, the problem only occurs when I use mobile broadband (T-Mobile in UK). If I use WiFi on the same machine (via different access points), there is no problem. I've tried CTRL-R but this makes no difference.

I guess means that there is some issue relating to T-Mobile and what they do or do not let through on their mobile broadband service (although I haven't had problems with any other sites).

Any ideas of sites with similar Javascript I can try to see if we can isolate the specific problem?

Erik- the specifc answers to the test:

1) what browser/version are you using? Firefox 2.0.0.14

2) SessionCookies? = true or false True

3) JavaScriptEnabled? = true or false True

4) Firewall? = true or false Flase (although I do have McAfee installed)

5) Width/height = (numbers) 1024x768

6) Broadband? = true or false true

7) Platform (OS) = (win, mac, etc) Win XP

bgreedy
Same thing is happening to me while using Vodafone mobile broadband.  I've been checking in the setting but can't find anything to fix it - anyone else have an idea?
aault

Interesting development - tried again today and for the first time it worked via T-Mobile on their mobile broadband service. Rebooted and tried again must to check and still OK.

Chess.com guys - did you change anything, or maybe T-Mobile did?

aault
Interesting - not working again today? Any ideas anyone?
bgreedy
Try hitting CTRL and F5 to refresh the screen - seems to work on mine but the downside is that you have to do it every time you make a move.  Still looking for a more permanent fix.