Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Damn Facebook!!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

calico253

Ive posted this on another thread, but I'll post it here too:

Yesterday, I idly clicked on 'play chess at Facebook' , and a panel came up saying that the site didn't have a valid 'licence' or something like that, and told me to go ahead at my peril if I wanted to proceed. Meanwhile, I couldn't log into chess.com in the normal way. 

In the end, I held my breath and 'proceeded' anyway, but I think FB pinched all my details .. contact stuff etc

Everything seems to be okay, but I don't WANT to go through Facebook to play chess. I HATE FB and the way it is insinuating itself into my life.

How do I reverse it, any advice?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #2

rtbgolf

calico253 wrote:

Yesterday, I idly clicked on 'play chess at Facebook' , and a panel came up saying that the site didn't have a valid 'licence' or something like that, and told me to go ahead at my peril if I wanted to proceed. Meanwhile, I couldn't log into chess.com in the normal way. 

Hey calico,  i am not a big fan of facebook myself 

do not know how to reverse it,  would suggest chess.com help 

good luck  rtbgolf

In the end, I held my breath and 'proceeded' anyway, but I think FB pinched all my details .. contact stuff etc

Everything seems to be okay, but I don't WANT to go through Facebook to play chess. I HATE FB and the way it is insinuating itself into my life.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

DramaMonkey

Cut it out with a knife. Liberally apply antiseptic. Proceed. 

It'll come back though. You can never escape!!!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

BorgQueen

Coz it's a massive time wasting vortex from hell.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

Bodhiwan

BorgQueen wrote:

+1

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

rtbgolf

try chess.com for help

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

calico253

I have tried asking chess.com for help .. but so far it hasn't been forthcoming.

But I'm heartened to know so many people agree with me.  The Vortex from Hell indeed!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

philidor_position

I think the real question is, what exactly happened when you tried to login to chess.com without facebook (via www.chess.com)? If you could tell us about that in detail, maybe we could help.

Can you still not log in?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

calico253

Philidor .. It wouldn't let me. I just kept getting the 'no licence' or perhaps it was 'no certificate', I can't remember which. Only when I entered my FB password, and clicked on 'proceed anyway', did I get back into the site.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

broccolihero

Bodhiwan wrote:
    BorgQueen wrote:

+1

+2!

Calico, did you by chance create a new account to play through FB or did you merge your accounts? 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

calico253

Sorry broccolihero, I'm not sure what you mean by 'merge accounts'. 

I have a FB site I hardly ever use, and an account with chess.com 

Is 'merge accounts' what I did when I clicked 'play chess on Facebook'?

I just thought it was FB's own chess site. I just wanted to have a look at it, that's all.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #12

corrijean

Have you ever played chess on fb? If not, you wouldn't have two accounts to be merged.

As for logging onto chess.com using fb credentials, what does it currently do if you log out of chess.com and log in? Does it allow normal login? If it does allow normal login, I would consider the issue to be resolved.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #13

calico253

No corrijean, I have never played chess on FB. And No, I can't log in normally using my chess.com password. I have to use my FB password.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #14

philidor_position

calico, it would help if you could copy a screenshot of the error message that appears when you try to log into chess.com normally (without facebook).

what browser, firewall or anti-virus software do you use?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #15

corrijean

If that's the case, I'd contact Help & Support. I'm sure they can fix it for you.

http://support.chess.com/

• 2 years ago · Quote · #16

kohai

calico253 wrote:

When you log in to play, are you accessing www.facebook.com first then going onto your games from there?

Or are you using the blue 'via facebook' link on www.chess.com ?

The username you're posting under on here now, is this the account you're having problems with on facebook or is it a different (facebook) account name ?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #17

calico253

I'll go through the whole process, take screen shots, and report back.

Thanks

Jo

• 2 years ago · Quote · #18

calico253

Jo has a very red face .. it's working just fine now.

Sorry

Jo

(It wasn't working fine before though. Honest!)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #19

kohai

calico253 wrote:

Jo has a very red face .. it's working just fine now.

Sorry

Jo

(It wasn't working fine before though. Honest!)

Jo, no worries I had something happen today where I reported it as a bug, checked back later after telling someone it was broken and there it was.... working just fine :)

If it happens again, make a note of what you're doing and the questions I asked above as I'll need that info to be able to check for you.

Glad to hear its working now though :)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #20

stephpurple93

if I just want chess I go to Google and go in that way to chess. com

Post your reply: