Forums

Fallout from account closure

Sort:
Teja

If a person closes their account, does this mean all the forum posts they started and their comments in other forum posts, group Notes and homepage Notes are erased too? Thank you for shedding light on this. 

johnmusacha

Comments and forum posts from a member who voluntarily closes his account will remain.  

Comments and forum posts from a member who is "banned" (i.e involuntarily account closure) will be deleted.

Teja

Thank you for the information.

adamplenty
johnmusacha wrote:

Comments and forum posts from a member who is "banned" (i.e involuntarily account closure) will be deleted.

Kohai told me they're only hidden.

johnmusacha

Ok, so what's the practical difference between "hidden" and "deleted" from our perspective?

deadastronauts

Depends on your user privileges.  If you have installed a rootkit on chess.com, it would be a very different perspective.

adamplenty

I don't think there is any. Why they're hidden and not deleted I don't know. I can only assume it's in case of the unlikely event they reverse a decision to ban someone.

johnmusacha

Makes sense Adam.  Like I know my friend Lebna Degnal could probably get unbanned if he just apologizes for sending too many messages (considered spamming) but unfortunately we haven't heard from him since he got banned.  Kinda sucks, he was the second best player on the Chad national chess team on here which I manage, second only to Pfren.

Teja

Bala, we can close our account at will I know. But if a member asks chess.com to close his account for him or her, will that wipe out his posts and comments in forums and Notes? Will that have the same effect as chess.com closing down an account of a cheater? 

Teja

No not voluntarily closing account but asking chess.com to do it for him/her for the deliberate purpose of having all their posts deleted, for their own reasons. Especially posts in groups they have already left and could not erase even if they want to.  

Teja

But still possible. Ok thanks Bala. This is useful to know. 

Vertmouron

This is an important issue, I think.  Still, some of the rules are far from being well defined,as Chess.com response has been for the most part a pragmatic one.  They have at times reinstated posts which had been deleted because they had been initially posted by a member who was later banned later on, most often for cheating.

In any case, Bala's comments on "voluntary closure" do hold and one would have to recourse to some pretty drastic steps in order to have their account closed by the staff.  But indeed, if they manage to make a perfect nuisance of themselves, or "better still", if they turn themselves into blatant cheaters, then yes, that will do it!!!

Vertmouron aka Monique

Vertmouron

Actually, all comments made by Bala are totally correct, which makes mine rather redundant come to think of it!  LOL

Teja

It acts as a refresher, Monique. Thanks for all the inputs Smile

mariceldelara

From a forum I had been a day or 2 ago, I happened to quote one's comment and when I checked his account.. it was already closed.

johnmusacha

Yeah they were right!  The comments are just hidden.

johnmusacha

Things you don't know about.  Things you don't wanna know about.