Forums

Game Names Change

Sort:
gramos9956

I just noticed that the names of my games are now listed as "[player] vs. [player]," instead of whatever name it had before, or the name of the tournament or team match, etc.  I noticed other peoples' games are now listed the same way.  Is there a reason for this? 

Nytik

And, if a staff member replies, in addition to the explanation, is there a way to change it back? I'd prefer to see what games are in what tournament at a glance.

(Yes, that's available if I go to the individual game screen, but what if I'm scanning for a match game?)

gramos9956

Hi Nytik.  I checked the settings page; I didn't see an option where we could change it back to the old way, if we wanted.  Like you, I prefer the way it was before.

Bodhidharma

I suspect the reason is some players have been putting up rude names but It's really silly....I'm online and the player's name is already up there....I don't need to know that I am playing against this particular player.

I like the display to revert to the old format where the names of I or my friends have given to my games to show up.

rooperi

I also like the old way better, I have many games against some opponents, and games named after opening variations, would be good to get that back.

Nytik

I should have also pointed out in my first post (#2) that I have no need to know the players in a particular game. I know my own username, and I can see the username of my opponent to the left of the game! So these titles are giving me no new or helpful information.

kokakola

I also would prefer the old way.

biggbunny

The one real benefit to the new naming system is that the name indicates which player is white and which player is black. When I have two games against a player it does tell me which game is which, and the other sysytem didn't.

That said, I don't really care either way.

Paranoid-Android

This is the first thing that actually bothers me on chess.com, I see no need for displaying opponent's name twice along with my own name. It was much better before, I'd even say chess.com was rewinded backwards with this update. I'd like to hear what are pros for this update comparing to old game names. I see only cons, and the opposite for old game names.

xiii-Dex

I was about to post a forum about the exact same thing

I'd rather have it put like the game in the "Games Archive", exept with the name of the game added in.

BigLabowski111

I agree completely, the old way was far better and i dont really know who made this decision. And y werent we informed???

lou_u

I prefer to see the name of the games as well.

xiii-Dex

example:

White          |    Black     |     Game     |  Time Left | # Moves  |    Status

BlackNight_13 | ??? (1313) | Lets Play!  |    3 days    |      36     | My Move!

(1152)

SethALynch

I'm with you on this - I already know it's me and I can see the opponents name. The space after the opponents name should hold the name of the match/tourney as it used to. If not then it should at least show something that can't be drived from info already shown.

dZed

I already commented on this in the other thread that someone started ( http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/new-games-name ), so I won't repeat myself. Instead: Ditto to all that's been said.

tie_died61

I really like BlackNight_13's columns described above ... I was actually here to post that exact layout.  Kudos BlackNight_13 !!!  So can we get some love from the support people?

LAGER

Yes C.c staff is there an explanation forthcoming of this issue? It is awful this new change!

dZed

As an addendum, I will say that I don't mind the "opponent 1 vs. opponent 2" format as the DEFAULT name, if you don't enter one yourself, instead of "Let's play!" which always struck me as a little silly. But the name you enter should supercede any default.

rooperi
dZed wrote:

As an addendum, I will say that I don't mind the "opponent 1 vs. opponent 2" format as the DEFAULT name, if you don't enter one yourself, instead of "Let's play!" which always struck me as a little silly. But the name you enter should supercede any default.

That's very sensible

gramos9956

It is now back to the old way again.  Thanks, Erik and staff!