Forums

Missing Vacation Days: Anyone else ever had this issue?

Sort:
LottoHSV

Has anyone else ever had issues with missing vacation days?

I registered this account in Oct. of '09 and should have, based on Chess.com's accrual system (2 additional Vacation Days added monthly -- on the first and fifteenth of each month), I should have accrued at least 10 additional days.

To my recollection I started out with 40 vacation days on your basic & free membership level. When I updated to platinum membership on 2009-11-16, I then had 2 months worth of vacation.

There is no point in time since my registration here that I could have possibly used more than 6 full days of vacation. 

I currently only have 5 vacation days remaining. Why is this?

-- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --

If one views this relevant forum from Chess.com support & staff, ( http://support.chess.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=31 ), you'll see this post script toward the bottom:

" NOTE: The previous vacation system gave 40 days across the board to everyone every Jan 1. We have removed that system. However, people who signed up before August 1 will not have their vacation lowered below 30 days. "

This page fails to append the years to those dates, but when I right click and view page info, Firefox tells me it was modified on Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:19:16 AM . . . On the other hand, I just did some testing and Mozilla claims pages I know for a fact haven't been updated in years were last modied . . . today.

Regardless of Firefox's failed endeavours to provide me with the correct date of the last modification, I'm going to assume they're saying the system was removed as of January 1st, 2010 . . . and people registering prior to August, 2009 will never have their vacation days lowered below 30.

So I missed out by less than two full months. Dang!

Let us assume that on January 1st, 2010 my vacation days dropped to 7 in accordance to Chess.com's new jurisdiction. What about my accrued days? I earned those fairly. This would bring me to 17 total vacation days. If we take away the upper bound of estimated total vacation time previously used, I would still have at least 11 days left.

I'm down thirteen dollars this month (would have most likely never signed up for a paid account, had the vacation days allotted not been purposefully misleading), in effort to obtain a Diamond level membership for the allotted 90 days of vacation. I'm down thirty-one total dollars, all things considered.

If this isn't remedied at some point, I wager I will not be spending any future money towards Chess.com.

Serendipitously, I just noticed this at the top of the memberships page,

"Upgrade Today w/ 100% Satisfaction - 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee w/ no questions asked!"

With whom do I speak with about that?

This statement in the FAQ is misleading: "In a nutshell, you earn your vacation by actively spending time on Chess.com. You can also become premium to enable more vacation or raise your vacation cap. "

Also misleading are the specifications provided for the 4 different membership levels here:

http://www.chess.com/membership.html

Vacation Time for . . .
Basic: Max 30 Days (Isn't the cap for basic only 7 now? This needs to be ammended.)
Gold: Max 60 Days
Platinum: Max 90 Days
Diamond: Max 90 Days

Seems as though you're being told that's the number of days you will . . . actually recieve.

In closing,

I would just like to state that I'm appreciative of all the services provided by the staff at Chess.com and still would recommend the site to anyone with even a very minor or casual interest in the game! They've got a good thing going on here. Keep it up, guys.

LottoHSV

I'm vacationing to New Mexico mid-March for a week. I will not have internet during this period.

Is it safe for me to assume the vacation days will not be amended, and is it safe to consider the on-going games I have as of now prematurely lost?

Would be at least nice to know whether or not that's the case. That way, I can resign now and not fret over lost causes.

Wish someone would contact me back saying something, anything, anything at all about this. Even if staff doesn't want the hassle of dealing with an unhappy customer, at least offer the common courtesy of telling me I've been denied any changes to VC days.

This is my fifth attempt to contact Chess.com support/staff in the past three weeks.

ItalianGame-inactive

never had any issue.

wilt18

Never happened to me too

LottoHSV

I appreciate the feedback, wilt & David N.

LottoHSV

So, what do I do next?

Target every individual chess.com staff member I can locate to get some feedback about this?

My options are rather limited, and as of now, contacting individual staff seems like a reasonable new course of action.

GabrielG

My vacation days got cutted in half...

Has this happened to anyone else?

MikeDoyle

I don't understand how the adding on of more vacation days works at all. :(