Forums

open question

Sort:
nvss

why does a pond have the ability to move two spaces ahead then half to return to only going a simple pase of one space ahead.

nvss
please post your comentes. ^ - ^
erik
as far as i know there are no bodies of water in chess.
nvss
you sometimes refer to the pice on the second line of a chess bord as a pond or at least the me and my friends do. do respond though.
Pavrey
These are the rules of the game. It is like asking why the knight (horse) moves in an L-shaped manner, or why the King can only move 1 square at a time. Instead, learn the game and enjoy the beauty of passed pawns, en passant, pawn forks, et al!
nvss
I supose your right but it still dosn't stop my thoughts about it.
StacyBearden
Ponds are beautiful at night.
ajachi
I agree. I love ponds. And the English language. Please don't butcher it. And please, for god's sake, specify what in the name of all that's holy you're talking about.
Bone_Orchard
Pavrey wrote: These are the rules of the game. It is like asking why the knight (horse) moves in an L-shaped manner, or why the King can only move 1 square at a time. Instead, learn the game and enjoy the beauty of passed pawns, en passant, pawn forks, et al!

Nothing wrong with asking these questions, some people are interested in the games rich history as well as playing it.   It is my understanding that the initial two square move option was added to the game in Europe between the 14th to 15th centurys. It was one of several changes made to speed up the game.  Others include the ability of bishops to move an unlimited number of unubstructed spaces along its diagonal, the new more powerful Queen, and the addition of castling. 

So, the reason a pawn has to go back to moving only one square forward at a time is because that is what it has always done.  It being able to move two squares forward on its first move is one of these new rules. 

Incidently, it is believed by some that the L shaped move of a knight and its ability to "jump" over other pieces is based on the way calvary and other mounted forces move in the field of battle.  Which is what the knight has always represented even though it hasn't always been called a "knight". 

nvss
Bone_Orchard your ways on how the pawns and knights were given the abilities they have are interesting do you think you could tell me were you unraveled these ideas of the games past?

Bone_Orchard

The Immortal Game: A history of Chess  by David Shenk.     I enjoy playing Chess but I also enjoy history and reading so when I can combine all three that is a definite win for me. 

kolechess

How can an added ability handicap something?

Charlie91
rich wrote:

I hate en-passant, but I got to live with it.It kind of handicap's the pawn's a bit.

While you may be cramped by the opponent's pawn on your 4th rank (he can use en passant), it can benefit you when the position is reversed, when you have a pawn on your 5th rank.  It's a double-edged weapon.  Going back to the question, I agree with Bone_Orchard's complete reply--it speeds up the game...

Initially I had a hard time understanding about the pond...  it's a pawn.  Terms: each side has 16 units (I think they're called units), 8 pawns and 8 pieces; chess pieces are the rook, knight, bishop, queen and king.  Sealed

mytself
     For those of you interested in the developement of chess and how the pieces moved originally. Look up a game called Shatranji a blending of two ancient cultural games. Shatranj and Chessgi
TheOldReb
I hope no ponds appear on my chessboard cause I might end up fishing instead of playing chess. Wink
feyterman
nvss wrote:

why does a pond have the ability to move two spaces ahead then half to return to only going a simple pase of one space ahead.

i think you are confusing chess with swimming! Tongue out

nvss
sorry my grammer was of!
calvinhobbesliker
the two space pawn move was invented so that by moving a center pawn you wouldn't release one bishop only to block the other one
x-5058622868
Reb wrote: I hope no ponds appear on my chessboard cause I might end up fishing instead of playing chess.

I guess you wouldn't be any fun to play against in Stratego Tongue out

I like to see the pawns initial two space move as something caused by the king's ability to rally his foot soldiers. Afterwards, pawns just move at their normal rate. 

ajachi
I believe Chinese Chess has a river, but ponds? Hmmm...