Forums

Profile trouble

Sort:
naturalproduct

Hi:

Two things:

a. every time I click to go to my profile, it ALWAYS brings up "Edit Profile" page first, which I have to click "Save Changes" to get to my actual profile. It does this every time and I haven't a clue why I can't just go straight to my profile, bypassing the edit page.

b. As of last night, I cannot even access my profile. It gives a "bad gateway" error message on a white screen.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

ponz111

I have same or similar problem.

batgirl

I don't think it's a bug, just a confusing design.
Click on your name (in a posting) to view your profile.  Click on "Profile" in the sub menu under "Home" if you want to edit it.

You can make a link such as View My Profile  and place it on your home page.
"Bad Gateway" errors seem to happen periodically.  Maybe they're caused by  a temporary problem with a server.

sw_fanatic

I hope I'm not being insulting when I assume you haven't clicked (not hovered over) the "home" button at the top? That takes you straight to your personalised profile.

If you then if you click "profile" on that page, it takes you to your community profile as viewed by others when they click on your name.

Contrary to batgirl, I think it's more logical this way.

naturalproduct
sw_fanatic wrote: I hope I'm not being insulting when I assume you haven't clicked (not hovered over) the "home" button at the top? That takes you straight to your personalised profile. If you then if you click "profile" on that page, it takes you to your community profile as viewed by others when they click on your name. Contrary to batgirl, I think it's more logical this way. Not insulted. I do that and it takes me to the edit profile page. Every option I have tried takes me to the edit profile page. In the home box, you should click profile and it should take you there. It doesn't. It takes me to the edit screen. I don't think I should have to go to a forum post to get to my own profile... I am assuming I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what...
batgirl

I hadn't noticed this before - is it new? The link goes to my profile page.

naturalproduct
batgirl wrote:

I hadn't noticed this before - is it new? The link goes to my profile page.

Where did you find that?

naturalproduct
sw_fanatic wrote:

I hope I'm not being insulting when I assume you haven't clicked (not hovered over) the "home" button at the top? That takes you straight to your personalised profile.

If you then if you click "profile" on that page, it takes you to your community profile as viewed by others when they click on your name.

sw:

Well this is emberassing. You are right. I clicked home and it took me to my profile. If I hover and click profile it goes to edit profile. I don't know why I didn't do that, but I must not have. Thanks.

Thanks batgirl for your help too.

Mike

stephen_33

batgirl, the Profile link from your personal home-page has been there for quite some time now.

But I've had this same argument with other people on this site - why is it if I go to my own home-page & then click on Profile, I end up on a different page than if I click Profile on the Home pop-up menu ?

Fact is, the Profile link from the pop-up menu should really be labelled 'Edit-Profile', because that's what it does.

Hope I havn't caused even more confusion there   Frown

batgirl

I agree, there are some (easily rectified) design issues here.

stephen_33

naturalproduct, are you confusing your own home page with your profile page, because they look very similar?
Here's my home page...

That's the one with the Profile link & here's my profile page...

.They both display your notes, stats, friends & groups but the Profile page also has tabs at the top for your activities & games archive.

Because I use my home page much more than my profile page, I have it pinned to my favorites bar for quick access!

sw_fanatic
sw_fanatic wrote:

sw:

Well this is emberassing. You are right. I clicked home and it took me to my profile. If I hover and click profile it goes to edit profile. I don't know why I didn't do that, but I must not have. Thanks.

Thanks batgirl for your help too.

Mike

Don't worry out it. Reminds me of that time I pm'd you saying I couldn't post a new topic in the group forums and that perhaps it was restricted to premium members, only to find out that the "post new forum topic" button was considerably further down the page. That, I believe is a flaw in the design. Why they couldn't keep it at the top like the regular forums I don't know.

stephen_33 wrote:

batgirl, the Profile link from your personal home-page has been there for quite some time now.

But I've had this same argument with other people on this site - why is it if I go to my own home-page & then click on Profile, I end up on a different page than if I click Profile on the Home pop-up menu ?

Fact is, the Profile link from the pop-up menu should really be labelled 'Edit-Profile', because that's what it does.

Hope I havn't caused even more confusion there   

Also, stephen_33, is there a particular reason why you link to people's profiles when replying to them?

It's also a pain to quote more than one person.
stephen_33

You know what this site needs ? - a good instruction manual     Wink

ponz111

I think there is a problem with my blogs which contain many of my games for the last several decades.  The blogs show my old picture and nobody has looked at the blogs for about 3 weeks?

I have had lots of looks at my profile but way less for blogs by about 25 to 1

stephen_33
stephen_33 wrote:

Hope I havn't caused even more confusion there   

Also, stephen_33, is there a particular reason why you link to people's profiles when replying to them?

It's also a pain to quote more than one person.

Sorry, sw_fanatic but I missed that question before (I think you must have edited it?).

The only reason I copy & paste other member's usernames is to ensure that I spell them correctly & of course they're also highlighted so as to draw attention to them.  However, I'd completely overlooked that it's also a link to that person's profile page - that's unintended !

As for your final comment, not sure what it refers to.

stephen_33
ponz111 wrote:

I think there is a problem with my blogs which contain many of my games for the last several decades.  The blogs show my old picture and nobody has looked at the blogs for about 3 weeks?

I have had lots of looks at my profile but way less for blogs by about 25 to 1

I've just had a look at your blogs & the links seem to be working fine! But I don't usually read blogs & it took me a while to notice the blog link on your profile page - all I saw at first was the one blog.

Maybe the problem is that your blog is at the very bottom of the page where people can't see it?