Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Rules regarding time.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #1

WestsideDavid

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 4 years ago · Quote · #2

artfizz

WestsideDavid wrote: I need an explanation of the rules regarding the timing of games and what happens when one player runs out of time. 

• LiveChess, Turn-based chess or FIDE tournament?
    • Runs out of time in what sense? e.g. dies? arrives late at the board?
    • Specifically on chess.com, it depends on: number of moves made; amount of material left on the board; whether auto timeout protection applies, ...

Which aspect are you enquiring about?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #3

superbeginnerchick

If you do nit make a move within a specific time period, you lose the game on time

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

BlueJJayS

WestsideDavid wrote:

I need an explanation of the rules regarding the timing of games and what happens when one player runs out of time. 

if you run out of time, you lose.  it's that simple.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

artfizz

WestsideDavid wrote:

I need an explanation of the rules regarding the timing of games and what happens when one player runs out of time. 

BlueJJayS wrote: if you run out of time, you lose.  it's that simple.

In turn-based chess:

if you run out of time AND you're a premium member AND you have vacation time remaining THEN you get put on vacation (so the game is effectively paused)

if your opponent DOESN'T HAVE Auto Win on Time set, THEN the game remains in a state of limbo until someone resigns OR Auto Win on Time IS switched on - (UNLESS it's a tournament game, in which case Auto Win on Time does not apply)

if your opponent has insufficient mating material when you run out of time, the game is scored as a draw.

In Live Chess, different rules apply.

Not quite that simple, after all.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

ab_ak92

if you win on time. whats the affect on ratings ??

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

artfizz

ab_ak92 wrote:

if you win on time. whats the affect on ratings ??

A win is a win - irrespective of how it was achieved.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

svats2u

Hi I Want to understand how time increase in time bound games. Also why some times it sets to 10 sec remaining with every move. Is there any link where all rules regardingtime is mentioned,
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #9

yeres30

BlueJJayS wrote:
    if you run out of time, you lose.  it's that simple.

With the exception of the opponent having insufficient material such as for example all the opponent has is a K in which case even though the player has run out time the game is drawn.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

TadDude

artfizz wrote:

In turn-based chess:

if your opponent has insufficient mating material when you run out of time, the game is scored as a draw.

There is a bug in online, not live, chess. The player with insufficient material wins on time.

I suppose there are few bug reports as the players may not be aware the decision is wrong. http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=48455511

As well the loser may no longer be here to complain. In this one someone should have known to resign: http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=15671130

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

artfizz

artfizz wrote:

In turn-based chess:

TadDude wrote: There is a bug in online, not live, chess. The player with insufficient material wins on time.

I suppose there are few bug reports as the players may not be aware the decision is wrong. http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=48455511

As well the loser may no longer be here to complain. In this one someone should have known to resign: http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=15671130

Fascinating. He who hesitates [to resign] sometimes wins!

• 15 months ago · Quote · #12

Udomyedin

How come I have played live chess games and my opponent has run out of time and won the game and points!

• 15 months ago · Quote · #13

verybadbishop

There is an exception to the rule, such that if you run out of time and your opponent has insufficient material to mate, then it's declared a draw.  I played a game in which my opponent was wiped out of all pieces, and I had a passed pawn about to promote, with a light square bishop preventing his king from preventing this.  I was shocked to see the result was a draw when my clock had run out, but in a way I guess that's a fair rule.

• 5 months ago · Quote · #14

RobertAnthony1

Is it better to allow time to lapse rather than be defeated? in terms of points lost in live chess?

• 5 months ago · Quote · #15

yeres30

Udomyedin wrote:

How come I have played live chess games and my opponent has run out of time and won the game and points!

You need to provide a link to this particular game to show how one who has run out of time won the game and points.

Post your reply: