Forums

Windows8

Sort:
horsehead

I recently loaded windows8, upgraded from windows7, and I can only make moves if I reduce the size of the board, my settings will only work on 100%, but i want to make the board larger, anyone having the same problem? I am using explorer as my browser, please help!!

furtiveking

I'd say for the first step, try using a better browser.

The only thing IE is good for is downloading Firefox or Chrome.

stephen_33

I have to agree with the above - download a different browser !  I switched to Chrome when I joined this site & havn't had any browser-related problems since.

Otherwise, check that your Java & browser are fully up to date.

kohai
horsehead wrote:

I recently loaded windows8, upgraded from windows7, and I can only make moves if I reduce the size of the board, my settings will only work on 100%, but i want to make the board larger, anyone having the same problem? I am using explorer as my browser, please help!!

Live chess or turn based online board?

I have Win8 over my Win7 too.

JoshG354

I run windows 8 and use chess.com on Chrome and Firefox.  Have never had a problem.  It may just be IE like furtiveking mentioned.

lsleepingbeauty

I have the same problem... cant make any moves... very frustrating.  I cant move on chrome or IE.. i upgraded rom woidows 7 starter to windows 8 pro.

NimzoRoy

Try looking up "Windows 8 compatibility mode"

https://digitaldilemma.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/windows-8-compatibility-mode/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-to-Feature-Windows-7-Mode-201156.shtml

horsehead

Thnx NimzoRoy,i tried that out and it has helped a bit.I am now using the compatability mode button.

NimzoRoy

horsehead I'm glad I was able to help and pls keep me posted via notes or messages if you have time, since I'm going to be switching to W8 - like it or not - in my  next PC and I'd like to have chess.com work in it without a lot of aggravation.

kohai

I haven't had any issues at all on the site after switching my win7 to the test version of win8.

Those who upgraded, are you using the full win8 or the preview version?

Lympathy

I have full Windows 8 (bought a new PC with it pre-installed) I cannot move the chess pieces on the boards (they attach to my mouse and clicking does nothing). I rely 100% on my iphone to play games at the moment.

I am using the latest version of Google Chrome.

o0paradigm0o

site isn't too bad on win 8 tablet.

lose the java.

simplify the play interface. bigger board.

avigavlovski

Kohai, the chess.com website _does_ largely work on some browsers on Windows 8 Pro, but that is not the issue. The issue is that a large part of windows 8 devices (such as Microsoft Surface RT) are running Windows 8 RT (which does not support the full desktop experience that Windows 8 Pro does). On Windows 8 RT, the chess.com site does not work at all: the main issue at the moment is that one cannot capture pieces on any of the site chessboards (I've tried it on live chess, chess mentor and tactics trainer). My request would be that you urgently fix this particular issue. After that, it would be great to see a Windows 8 app.

kohai

This is being investigated at the moment. I can't do it as while I have Win 8, its over my Win 7 and not touch screen.

furtiveking
o0paradigm0o wrote:

lose the java.

You realize that this would require an ENTIRE re-do of the site, right?

Additionally, there's no good reason to. Java is a perfectly acceptable environment for a site like this. Just because Microsoft and Internet Explorer don't like it, that doesn't make it a bad thing.

cabadenwurt
[COMMENT DELETED]
o0paradigm0o

Win 8 tablet arrives in a week.

This site needs to work in metro, with easy capability for a person to move pieces around with their finger.

Trust me on this.

furtiveking
o0paradigm0o wrote:

Win 8 tablet arrives in a week.

This site needs to work in metro, with easy capability for a person to move pieces around with their finger.

Trust me on this.

Why? Computer sales are through the floor when the computer has Win 8 and Metro. It's a garbage set up that no one is buying, and that even Microsoft will probalby drop by the end of the year.

avigavlovski

furtiveking, please cite concrete data. Yes PC sales are down 13% yoy according to the news, but windows is still the #1 selling OS today including the laptop segment, and most new Windows laptops are touch screen devices, so ignoring windows 8 touch is simply bad business.

TitanCG

This is REAL touchscreen: