Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Withdrawing from Tournaments


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #1

    sander9860

    Once I have played all my games in a round and am out of the running for continuing/winning a tournament, may I withdraw from the tournament so that it doesn't clogg up my current tournament screen?  Are there any adverse consequences for doing so?  And if I have won some paltry amount of points, will I still get them?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #2

    kohai

    Hi sander9860

    If you've completed all games from that round and have no more left to play, then yes its safe to withdraw.

    It shows on this page

    You are allowed to withdraw from a tournament at any time using the Withdraw link located on the right hand side of any tournament homepage. However, withdrawing from a tournament while you have games in progress will automatically cause you to forfeit all of the tournament games on time which will negatively affect your timeout % ratio and your rating, even if no moves have been made.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #3

    NathanTJC

    I cannot find the withdraw button anywhere! Advice?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #4

    PrawnEatsPrawn

    NathanTJC wrote:

    I cannot find the withdraw button anywhere! Advice?


     

    Tournament homepage, top right-hand side:

     

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #5

    NathanTJC

    Thanks for taking the time to add a picture, but sadly that withdraw button simply isn't there in my tournament options box.

     

     

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #6

    PrawnEatsPrawn

    Check in "Standings" that you haven't already been eliminated.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #7

    NathanTJC

    Yeah, I had just thought of that, thanks. I feel rather stupid now...

    I was on vacation and my vacation time ran out and I timed-out on all my games, so I guess it eliminated me. Thanks!

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #8

    TadDude

    kohai wrote:

    Hi sander9860

    If you've completed all games from that round and have no more left to play, then yes its safe to withdraw.

    It shows on this page

    You are allowed to withdraw from a tournament at any time using the Withdraw link located on the right hand side of any tournament homepage. However, withdrawing from a tournament while you have games in progress will automatically cause you to forfeit all of the tournament games on time which will negatively affect your timeout % ratio and your rating, even if no moves have been made.


    The timeout issue has been incorrect from the beginning.

    It will negatively affect, if you mean it will decrease your timeout %.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #9

    mrguy888

    TadDude wrote:
    kohai wrote:

    Hi sander9860

    If you've completed all games from that round and have no more left to play, then yes its safe to withdraw.

    It shows on this page

    You are allowed to withdraw from a tournament at any time using the Withdraw link located on the right hand side of any tournament homepage. However, withdrawing from a tournament while you have games in progress will automatically cause you to forfeit all of the tournament games on time which will negatively affect your timeout % ratio and your rating, even if no moves have been made.


    The timeout issue has been incorrect from the beginning.

    It will negatively affect, if you mean it will decrease your timeout %.


    Are you confused, not understanding that kohai meant that increasing you % is a negative in that "not good" sense not the "numbers (e.g. -4)" sense, or does it actually decrease your timeout %?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #10

    TadDude

    mrguy888 wrote:
    Are you confused, not understanding that kohai meant that increasing you % is a negative in that "not good" sense not the "numbers (e.g. -4)" sense, or does it actually decrease your timeout %?

    If a player withdraws, any incomplete games are resignations. A player's timeout ratio calculation would now include those non-timeout games so the timeout ratio will decrease.

    The help entry has been wrong from the beginning.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #11

    mrguy888

    TadDude wrote:
    mrguy888 wrote:
    Are you confused, not understanding that kohai meant that increasing you % is a negative in that "not good" sense not the "numbers (e.g. -4)" sense, or does it actually decrease your timeout %?

    If a player withdraws, any incomplete games are resignations. A player's timeout ratio calculation would now include those non-timeout games so the timeout ratio will decrease.

    The help entry has been wrong from the beginning.


    Ah. I see.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #12

    windownight

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #13

    MichaelPorcelli

    Say there are 10/100 left in the tournament, if I have finished my games from the latest round and then withdraw from the tournament I know it means I am eliminated. but does that mean I would then come in 10th or 100th?


Back to Top

Post your reply: