Forums

Withdrawing from Tournaments

Sort:
SirValence

Once I have played all my games in a round and am out of the running for continuing/winning a tournament, may I withdraw from the tournament so that it doesn't clogg up my current tournament screen?  Are there any adverse consequences for doing so?  And if I have won some paltry amount of points, will I still get them?

kohai

Hi sander9860

If you've completed all games from that round and have no more left to play, then yes its safe to withdraw.

It shows on this page

You are allowed to withdraw from a tournament at any time using the Withdraw link located on the right hand side of any tournament homepage. However, withdrawing from a tournament while you have games in progress will automatically cause you to forfeit all of the tournament games on time which will negatively affect your timeout % ratio and your rating, even if no moves have been made.

NathanTJC

I cannot find the withdraw button anywhere! Advice?

PrawnEatsPrawn
NathanTJC wrote:

I cannot find the withdraw button anywhere! Advice?

Tournament homepage, top right-hand side:

NathanTJC

Thanks for taking the time to add a picture, but sadly that withdraw button simply isn't there in my tournament options box.

PrawnEatsPrawn

Check in "Standings" that you haven't already been eliminated.

NathanTJC

Yeah, I had just thought of that, thanks. I feel rather stupid now...

I was on vacation and my vacation time ran out and I timed-out on all my games, so I guess it eliminated me. Thanks!

TadDude
kohai wrote:

Hi sander9860

If you've completed all games from that round and have no more left to play, then yes its safe to withdraw.

It shows on this page

You are allowed to withdraw from a tournament at any time using the Withdraw link located on the right hand side of any tournament homepage. However, withdrawing from a tournament while you have games in progress will automatically cause you to forfeit all of the tournament games on time which will negatively affect your timeout % ratio and your rating, even if no moves have been made.

The timeout issue has been incorrect from the beginning.

It will negatively affect, if you mean it will decrease your timeout %.

mrguy888
TadDude wrote:
kohai wrote:

Hi sander9860

It shows on this page

The timeout issue has been incorrect from the beginning.

It will negatively affect, if you mean it will decrease your timeout %.

Are you confused, not understanding that kohai meant that increasing you % is a negative in that "not good" sense not the "numbers (e.g. -4)" sense, or does it actually decrease your timeout %?

TadDude
mrguy888 wrote:
Are you confused, not understanding that kohai meant that increasing you % is a negative in that "not good" sense not the "numbers (e.g. -4)" sense, or does it actually decrease your timeout %?

If a player withdraws, any incomplete games are resignations. A player's timeout ratio calculation would now include those non-timeout games so the timeout ratio will decrease.

The help entry has been wrong from the beginning.

mrguy888
TadDude wrote:
mrguy888 wrote:

If a player withdraws, any incomplete games are resignations. A player's timeout ratio calculation would now include those non-timeout games so the timeout ratio will decrease.

The help entry has been wrong from the beginning.

Ah. I see.

falgocharm

ChessinBlackandWhite

Say there are 10/100 left in the tournament, if I have finished my games from the latest round and then withdraw from the tournament I know it means I am eliminated. but does that mean I would then come in 10th or 100th?

Fantastory

Can I withdraw from tournament that didn't start yet?

Martin_Stahl
fantastory wrote:

Can I withdraw from tournament that didn't start yet?

Yes.

TuoKaerf

If you are playing a Swiss-style tournament, then it DOES count as a loss should you withdraw. I found this out the hard way since I had to withdraw from a rapid tournament because my family wanted to go to lunch. I lost 30 points... darn... Chess.com should allow "byes" for such cases.

YankeesNo1

If you end up getting withdrawn from a tournament, are you still able to claim the first place prize? I did not withdraw from a tournament I participated in. I finished every game of the final round and when I got back on, I saw that I had withdrawn from the tournament

Martin_Stahl
YankeesNo1 wrote:

If you end up getting withdrawn from a tournament, are you still able to claim the first place prize? I did not withdraw from a tournament I participated in. I finished every game of the final round and when I got back on, I saw that I had withdrawn from the tournament

If you withdraw from a tournament you won't qualify for medals, even if all your games are complete.