Forums

Bullet Rating vs Online rating

Sort:
x-5058622868

It has everything to do with Cake!

Yohan_Saboba
wbilfc wrote:

I find the two disciplines quite different, so yes it is possible to have a large difference in your rating scores.

Of course it is also possible that he his cheating!

That is one of the problems with "online" games - there is no way to tell if your opponent is using computer analysis. This is not possible in blitz games.

Hernandez_88

Whats the difference with Fide Rating With Chess.com rating say im solid 1600 @chess.com .Am I 1600 USCF, FIDE. I play ave. Rating 1600

Yohan_Saboba

In bullet games you would lose on time if you tried to use a chess engine during play.

Math0t
Yohan_Saboba wrote:

That is one of the problems with "online" games - there is no way to tell if your opponent is using computer analysis. This is not possible in blitz games.

Of course it's possible. A simple interface can transfer the moves (form and) to a chess engine.

Yohan_Saboba

How simple? Maybe you could make a program to download the pgn each move and give it to the engine for analysis. But you would need a program to make the engine make the moves online!

Math0t

I think the main problem is that many players overrate the online ratings. And most players just don't think carefully and/or long enough about their moves in online chess.

There is no need to cheat to get a 2000 online rating.

Yohan_Saboba

I agree, they could just be better at online, just saying that cheating is a possibility.

Math0t
Yohan_Saboba wrote:

How simple? Maybe you could make a program to download the pgn each move and give it to the engine for analysis. But you would need a program to make the engine make the moves online!

It's just data which is sent through http. Shouldn't be that hard.

Yohan_Saboba

I don't know about that...

Math0t
Yohan_Saboba wrote:

I agree, they could just be better at online, just saying that cheating is a possibility.

Of course it is. But in general it doesn't happen that often (thanks to the chess.com police ;-)). Players just use it as as excuse as to why they lose. While in reality they simply blunder away the games.

Yohan_Saboba
-kenpo- wrote:
Yohan_Saboba wrote:

In bullet games you would lose on time if you tried to use a chess engine during play.

nope! also possible to use an engine here as well unfortunately.

I'm not sure I follow...

Yohan_Saboba

I have never seen that before... but I believe you! :)

Rasparovov

Not even related really, could been his pancake-making rating aswell as bullet really.

Math0t

No need for magic or screen reading. Just a simple interface that reads the same data your browsers uses to create the board on the screen.

eJaguar

Steiner a program to capture position from screen to FEN is a beautiful idea for an Android application on my SGS2 Cool

eJaguar
Yohan_Saboba wrote:

Yes if you'll play many moves but I think an engine will finish a bullet opponent so quickly that it may be doable in 1-2 min.

gattaca
[COMMENT DELETED]
Scottrf
AnthonyCG wrote:

The key to becoming good at bullet is to never play other types of chess. Then you'll be able to beat the likes of Nakamura because you are just faster than him and you won't waste time thinking about what to do like he does.

No. He can mate in a minute. Moving quicker isn't everything.

Turm_Breuberg

There are 3 differences between bullet and tournament chess:

- In Bullet one plays way more intuitive moves than precisely calculated moves. (if you have a decent level, you WILL calculate some things even in 1 0 bullet. Taking 10 seconds in  a crucial moment to check a combination is possible and necessary if you want to reach a certain level)

- A time advantage is a real factor that may turn a game. But weak players tend to over-estimate the time factor. The better you get, the faster you can play GOOD moves. Just clicking as fast as you can will neither win you a bullet game nor any common video game.

- In Bullet it is important to quickly anticipate your opponents moves. Especially if you play for a time edge in the endgame, anticipating "useless" checks will save you some valuable seconds. This is a trick that of course plays almost no role in tournament chess. Still, even there it is useful to sometimes be able to predict bad moves.