Forums

chess.com ratings are deflated against USCF

Sort:
Nessajja

Ooh ah! John musacha!

SilentKnighte5

Aaaaand, we're back.

PeterB1517

Seems like the blitz ratings are even getting more deflated.  I think they injected points into the standard ratings, but never injected points into the blitz ratings, did they?  I think your rating should reflect your relative strength to other chess players.  It should be on this scale of 600-3000.  It should have this meaning that 600-1000 is a beginner, 1000-1400 is an intermediate, a 1400-1800 is an advanced intermediate, 1800-2200 is getting into expert, and 2200 + is world class.  If the ratings don't reflect that, then I think the rating scale has failed.  It no longer reflects what meaning we attribute to it.  If a 1250 blitz player can beat 90%+ of all human chess players in 10 minute chess, then that rating is too low.

Jion_Wansu

NRTG

It is short for mathematics and also correct English. Think of physics not physic. Math is more of an Americanism.

SmyslovFan

True, "maths" is correct English. "Math" is correct in America.

pt22064
NRTG wrote:

It is short for mathematics and also correct English. Think of physics not physic. Math is more of an Americanism.

Actually, "physic" is a word, although rarely used.  "Physic" denotes a medicine, typically a cathartic.  Of course, "physic" is entirely distinct from the science of "physics."

deathstroke2611

i am 1100 hundred otb 1540 chess.com does that makeouts something like that uscf average is lower that the international average(sorry mod but why do you only block comments about your nationality i have never seen you block commments like indians stink etc etc .though back to the topic maybe that is because of india has tougher competion and population.

johnmusacha

Yep, well said.

johnmusacha

Yeah but they are still deflated in comparison to USCF.  That much is certain.

DjonniDerevnja
deathstroke2611 wrote:

i am 1100 hundred otb 1540 chess.com does that makeouts something like that uscf average is lower that the international average(sorry mod but why do you only block comments about your nationality i have never seen you block commments like indians stink etc etc .though back to the topic maybe that is because of india has tougher competion and population.

You are1192 Fide, and thats another scale than Uscf.

Comparing  your chess.com ratings you probably are close to me in strenght, which is 1435 Fide.  When Norwegian players plays abroad, I think we are getting cheap ratingpoints in Denmark and Sweden, and it looks like India is much tougher. Are there many  kids coming up in India? When the kids are coming, the ratingpoints gets more difficult to catch, because they are coming from below and are bringing less points to the board than they are taking home.

Norway has more kids coming up than Sweden and Denmark, because of the Magnus-popularity. Therefore we are underated compared to them.

ghost_of_petrosian

India and China are FIDE rating black holes.

dwcofer

For what it is worth, my chess.com rating is about 300 points higher than my USCF rating. I win a lot more games on chess.com than I do OTB. 

My theory is that OTB players are more serious about chess, as they sacrifice a full day or more to play an OTB tournament, pay annual dues, entry fees, et. Whereas, anyone can log in for free and play a quick game on chess. com.

dirtpirate
Nope. The 4th guy on the 14th page was right
hitthepin
Biggest thread in Live Chess. Nice.
DevilishApples123

1 that is wrong I am about a 1400 USCF and I am 1649 at chess.Com blitz 

hitthepin

Not so much anymore.

DjonniDerevnja

Do anybody have any feelings about the chess.com rating compared to lichess.org rating? I have been playing a few games on lichess recently and guess that lichess blitz and rapid 1700 is ca 1400-1600 chess.com  . What do you think?

MrSteveYourJobs

@DjonniDerevnja I think Chess.com ratings are more deflated than Lichess, but there is a weird difference between the two rating systems that I noticed-- with Lichess ratings, I notice more significant differences between rating pools. So Lichess players within the 1900-2000 range are significantly stronger than say a 1700 and newly minted 1800s. But on Chess.com, 1600 rated players and above are incredibly strong and their rating isn't really indicative of their playing strength. They are quite dangerous. And the differences between the rating classes are much more subtle from within 1500-2000 elo. And with Chess.com 1700s, the difference between 2000+ player becomes much more blurred than say the difference of Lichess 1700s to 2000. Just last night I witnessed a Chess.com 1700 seriously outplay a NM tactically and strategically and played a perfect theoretical opening. The NM was rated around 2400 in Chess.com and probably 2300+ FIDE. I certainly think there's some serious rating deflation and a sort of "ELO HELL" among sub 2000 ratings in Chess.com. A player 700 points lower should be easily dismantled. But the fact that a 1700 can hang and outplay an NM with a really high Chess.com and FIDE rating definitely attributes something to the point of this thread.