Forums

How chess.com ads cost me a game back in 2013

Sort:
sunandthreestars

Well I don't really mind seeing those ads in every corner of this website, but just recently while playing a bullet game an ad pops up in the middle of the game, and I can't make a move, I did try refreshing but the ad keeps on popping up and eventually cost me a game!

Is chess.com that GREEDY now? who would want to see a popup in the middle of the game??? I am not blaming it on the glitch of the html codes, it is those administrators who requested their programmers to pop an Ad during a game, chess.com come on, do you really wish me to click those ADs??? in desperation to get rid of it and for you to earn some quick cash??? ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK!

piotr

Thank you! We are working on a fix for that issue.

ToborAtonmi

This happened to me three times today on the mobile app during blitz games.

mdcd9989

Can you please get rid of these annoying pop-up ads that can't be exed out and block the alerts window during the entire game? How do I get rid of these? Makes it very difficult to play...very distracting.

STUK_BY_HOI

it has been 8 months since you start to try and fix those dumd ads

EscherehcsE

I can see the ads now -- "Become a premium member and never again lose a game due to ads popping up over the board during games!"

Laughing

piotr

Is it still a problem? It was fixed months ago, but perhaps some browser updates led to new issues. We need browser/OS information here to investigate. Thanks.

r2deetwo

yes its still an issue so anoying ...............

RonaldJosephCote

r2deetwo;  staff posted that 5 months ago. When you get their attention again, give them the browser/OS info they need to help you.

Phillykb

You can download ' ABP'

its like an ad blocker... doesnt show any ads!!!

ChessHammer40k

if you have chrome, opera or safari this is better, adblock plus is just no

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

SN8k

I won my bullet game when it popped on my screen... just quickly click out on the "x" button in the top right corner, usually.

retticus

This is bullshit the ads are hovering over the screen and obstructing my view of the chess board. This never happened to me until now and I'd just like to say that it's bullshit.

Luca_94

Lost 2 blitz games today from the iPhone app for the same issue, chess.com continuously open Apple Store for installing apps.

I was going to subscribe but I will wait till this is fixed!

CoolStephen

That's never happened to me so I can't speak from experience But... It was probably a glitch so I wouldn't call it being greedy they're trying their best. 

BossCoder

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

This is lightweight material for OP

Redgreenorangeyellow
sunandthreestars wrote:

Well I don't really mind seeing those ads in every corner of this website, but just recently while playing a bullet game an ad pops up in the middle of the game, and I can't make a move, I did try refreshing but the ad keeps on popping up and eventually cost me a game!

Is chess.com that GREEDY now? who would want to see a popup in the middle of the game??? I am not blaming it on the glitch of the html codes, it is those administrators who requested their programmers to pop an Ad during a game, chess.com come on, do you really wish me to click those ADs??? in desperation to get rid of it and for you to earn some quick cash??? ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK!

It's really stupid that you are complaining about them being greedy. Chess.com is a business and they have to pay staff. In other words, you're calling making a profit greed. If you want a non-profit website, go to Lichess.org, which is a high quality website. 

cujo1996

Yup, leaving chess.com right now. I strongly considered their memberships, and have paid in the past, but that's bull... 
Btw, I was using the Opera browser on Windows 10

k1n6_y4r1
BRUH
EscherehcsE
Mr-Mudd wrote:

Wow, they've been working on this since 2013.....

Correction - They've been *NOT* working on this since 2013...