Forums

Northern Ireland flag

Sort:
mickydredd

As regards non-rectangular flags, is Switzerland' not square? ( Okay it is still technically a rectange!)

Some interesting replies. Thanks folks.

ilikeflags
mickydredd wrote:

As regards non-rectangular flags, is Switzerland' not square? ( Okay it is still technically a rectange!)

Some interesting replies. Thanks folks.

yeah i think there might be a couple other square ones...  swiss for sure, but as you've said still a rectangle.

the world could use a few more non-rectangular flags.

here's another good one:

Libya, the only national flag with only one color.  brilliant!

Gary_H
rnunesmagalhaes wrote:
mickydredd wrote:

England Scotland and Wales all get their own flag, so we should too!

Hmm, I'm not related to Northern Ireland in any way, but I was curious about the issue and found the following statement on Wikipedia (of course): "The Union Flag (...) is the only flag with official status in Northern Ireland".

Apparently the other national flags are associated with political groups and do not officially represent the state, which doesn't seem to be the case of Scotland's and Wales' national flags. Could anyone clear this up?

An old thread I know, but it popped up in Google. 

Wiki is not an official source of anything and is edited by ordinary people. The problem with wiki is that the Northern Ireland pages are edited by Sinn Fein activists and contain propaganda and untruths.

The facts:

The other national flags as Wiki state are not associated with political groups. There are no other national flags despite the aspiration of Irish extremists.

The only official flags in Northern Ireland have been the Government of Northern Ireland Flag/ 'Ulster banner' as pictured at the start of thread and the Union 'Jack' Flag.

There have been two versions of the red and white Ulster Flag, and that relates to the different crowns.

When the Government of Northern Ireland was suspended in 1972 due to sectarian violence, power reverted back to London; so the flag technically lost its status due to there being no government in Northern Ireland. I suppose the flag should have been automatically re-instated when the government reformed. There are other matters more important I guess!

The Ulster flag is still flown by sporting organisations representing Northern Ireland and some of the regional councils. The majority of the population of Northern ireland consider this flag to be the flag that represents their part of the United Kingdom.

Hope that clears things up as people had asked. :)

mickydredd

I think Switzerland's flag is square. But I am sure there is a country that has a flag with a circular hole in it. I could be mistaken about that though.

mickydredd

Flags are causing a lot of trouble in Northern Ireland at the moment. Shows how seriously some people take them to be.

GMegaMan

all flags are just rags on poles

x-5710721855

A quick trivia on flag, no googling please. Lets see who gets it first Smile.

Which flag has its country's actual borders outlined on it?

Cheers,

Arun

piphilologist
Ahhca wrote:

A quick trivia on flag, no googling please. Lets see who gets it first .

Which flag has its country's actual borders outlined on it?

Cheers,

Arun

Antarctica does, although that isn't a country and the flag is unofficial

TheGrobe

Cyprus?

TheGrobe

Yup: 

GenghisCant

Pretty sure Kosovo does as well. It was in a Tommy Lee Jones film called 'The Hunted'

Tin-Cup

Free Northern Ireland from the yoke of British tyranny! 26+6=1 !!!

cabadenwurt

Based on the most recent post let me just add: In before the lock.

cabadenwurt

PS, and let me also add: Long live St.Pierre & Miquelon ! ( very nice flag as well ).

mickydredd

This is very interesting, that people are commenting on something I said . I just earlier today played chess against someone from Nepal. Now there's a flag that doesn't conform!

But I'm still sure there is a country that has a flag with a hole in it.

I know (from the internet) that Romania and Bulgaria flew a flag with a hole in it, because they simply cut out the communist symbol from the middle of it, but I don't think that counts as an official national flag though.

And where are all the designs for an official Northern Ireland flag?

Come on people! Get designing. I know a few people at Belfast City Council. I'm not saying I have influence or anything, but. Possibly, just possibly, your flag design could be merrily fluttering above city hall (on certain designated days only, obviously) and being burned by disaffected members of our community at annual celebrations of "culture" of one kind or another.

So come on! What are you waiting for?

phatrook

How is the chess scene going in Ireland and Northern Ireland ?

mickydredd

I don't really know, but I advertised to start a club in our local community centre a couple of years ago and got no responses at all. But I am sure there are people who play. It would be nice to play real chess sometime, because I haven't done that in years.

GMegaMan
cabadenwurt wrote:

someone just needs to tell him its a union, no one is being oppressed by anyone.. and that jack the ripper no longer stalks the streets of whitechapel

Tin-Cup
GM_fishys wrote:
cabadenwurt wrote:

someone just needs to tell him its a union, no one is being oppressed by anyone.. and that jack the ripper no longer stalks the streets of whitechapel

Tell that to Bobby Sands you snide little colonialist.

GMegaMan
Tin-Cup wrote:
GM_fishys wrote:
cabadenwurt wrote:

Tell that to Bobby Sands you snide little colonialist.

ahh yes, a "tincup" is that what you passed around your fake pubs to collect money in, to fund the killing of innocent people. you ignorant moron