Forums

shockwave plugin crash

Sort:
litevibe

My shockwave plugin crashes frequently during live chess games.  How do I correct that?

kohai

Do you know which version of Adobe Flash you're using?

The latest version is 11

cjsab

Not much to go on here.  What operating system are you running?  What version of Flash are you using?  What error messages or diagnostics, if any, are you seeing?  Have you tried reinstalling Flash?

NimzoRoy

Tell us what OS, browser and version of shockwave plugin you are using for starters and post any error messages here verbatim, as cjsab mentioned

In the meantime make sure your OS, browser and Adobe Flash Player are 100% up-to-date.

NimzoRoy

IM pfren are you saying when I upgrade to W8 64-bit OS I'm going to have an instant problem with Adobe's frigging Flash Player which is always out-of-date or otherwise unusable an amazingly large percentage of the times its needed?

kohai

Ok, I've done a little research on this now. It appears there is a compatibility issue between browser and Flash.

From this page

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/flash-113-crashes

Flash 11.3 crashes

Some users have reported that a recent version of Flash 11.3 is crashing more frequently than previous versions of Flash. If you are experiencing excess crashes, please try updating to the latest version of Flash. If that doesn't help, downgrading to Flash 10.3 or Flash 11.2 has been reported to work.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/flash-113-doesnt-load-video-firefox

Flash has recently updated to version 11.3. Some users are reporting issues with this version of Flash and Firefox. The video may appear black, white or grey and never play. This article has a few solutions that have been reported to work.

NimzoRoy

What "brand" of Linux are you running, and do you recommend it? And I don't think you're right about 99.5% of users not compiling their own 64-bit FF browser - I suspect the figure is closer to 99.9% :=)

litevibe

Thanks all for your responses.  I have downloaded a new edition of shockwave but have not yet had a chance to see if it corrects the problem. I did notice on the net a lot of reports of recent shockwave crashes when it is used with chrome; which is what I have been using. 

NimzoRoy

http://blog.chess.com/view/diagnosing-and-fixing-internet-problems

WillGu

kohai wrote:

Do you know which version of Adobe Flash you're using?

The latest version is 11

NimzoRoy

The latest version of Adobe Flash is 11.3.300.262 at least with FF

I wonder why they need so many decimal places in the version numberInnocent

j_nkhead

i'm thankin u 4 updates...cuz i can't get bak 2 game, etc...it' s driving me *mad*

kohai

As an update, I'm using Firefox 14 now and while it seems stable enough 'most' of the time, Adobe still haven't fixed the flash issue as it crashes on this latest firefox aswell.

Bad_Bishop15

kohai STAFF- my laptop automatically shut down  & i lost my live chess game. It happened twice! I lost about 40 points & i want them restored.

kohai

Unfortunately I can't restore those as we can't prevent your laptop shutting down :(

Igorotte

Anyone who could explain why there is always disconnection in your live games. I lost more than a hundred games already because of this. It disconnects three minutes before the clock ends and only reconnects after two minutes. And it happens when Iḿ at the advantage and end up losing in time. Is anyone messing with peopleś live games? I cannot play 5 minutes anymore because of this. The problem started about thwo or three months now...

johnyoudell

You can load both a 32 bit and a 64 bit version of Flash and that is said to sort out some problems.

x3ND3Rx
[COMMENT DELETED]