Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Timeout in Live Chess (WoW)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

zoom2me

Very annoying, i have lost many winning games in live chess..

I am waiting for my opponent to make an move.. i have reasonable time left. suddenly i see

"Black/White own on time" ..

And right with that notice, I see my opponents move and my clock magically set to 00.00

This is a stupid bug if any...  Anybody faced it yet in the new site????....

There is argument going on about hating/liking the new site.. I am kind of pro new site, BUT... if the new site/new code introduces bug in the most important "Live game clock workflow" or anything affecting the games.. its JUNK.... no matter how cool it looks.. it just a turn off....

Today is the first day I encountered this irritating bug several times... if this continues long.. my stay (i belive other's who face this too) here is going to be affected let alone the premiere memebership.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #2

piotr

Thank you for your report. That looks really odd. Could you provide game ids (or links) of the problem games?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

whirlwind2011

@OP: My condolences for this irritating occurrence. Thank you for reporting this and not simply giving up on the site! If you give the sufficient game information, I'm sure the staff will remedy this as soon as they can.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

dimitros

i mentioned a lot of times in the forums.it happens very often in live chess independent from new or old site..

in many of my games,as soon as i get to the final 5 or 10 seconds i am reconnecting,without having any internet problems and i lose the game in time.

maybe its the cookies but when i am losing i don't care about the cookies,not to mention that i clear them very often..

i hope you understand what i want to say

ps chess.com is a great side which is trying all of its members and a few bugs is nothing to all of the stuff it provides us!

Thanks and keep up the good workTongue out

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

zoom2me

ya.. i love chess.com too.. played quite a few after those games.. have to dig out (i loose many games, so let me did all lost games and find out with certainity which are the games.. will update here..

+ if it happens again, will note the gameid +vely.. anyways, keep close eye on this bug.. could be a showstopper....

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

zoom2me

got an example.. right now... I made my move (Rook to C6) and waiting for him to make an move... his timer is in red and ticking.. i am waiting happily... and i guess I have reasonable amount of seconds left (30 + seconds if not more....) + i am finally in a comfortable position and probably winning end game .... and not not forget the +2 seconds with every move... from the last position you can check its easy for white to play.. but all that in my dreams... coz I get reconnecting & then my clock magically 0.00 , his clock some 1.5 minutes (but in RED)..  the movelist window seems to have registered my last move (Rook to c6) but when I check my game archive page.. that move is not there....

as you asked.. I am notifing immediately after this game..forllowing is the game url.

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=292217684

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

Cesaroski

plz can you tell why in this blitz game a draw is generated?

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=292188698

i thought that was for about 50 movements, but checking some matches, there are more that 50 movements...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

zoom2me

Cesaroski wrote:

i thought that was for about 50 movements, but checking some matches, there are more that 50 movements...

wow...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

piotr

zoom2me: Thank you. We'll definitely see what was wrong...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

NicoloPags

zoom2me wrote:

Very annoying, i have lost many winning games in live chess..

I am waiting for my opponent to make an move.. i have reasonable time left. suddenly i see

"Black/White own on time" ..

And right with that notice, I see my opponents move and my clock magically set to 00.00

This is a stupid bug if any...  Anybody faced it yet in the new site????....

There is argument going on about hating/liking the new site.. I am kind of pro new site, BUT... if the new site/new code introduces bug in the most important "Live game clock workflow" or anything affecting the games.. its JUNK.... no matter how cool it looks.. it just a turn off....

Today is the first day I encountered this irritating bug several times... if this continues long.. my stay (i belive other's who face this too) here is going to be affected let alone the premiere memebership.

this has happened to me before

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

Eris_Discordia

Cesaroski wrote:

Cesaroski, did your opponent run out of time?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #12

piotr

Cesaroski: Black ran out of time in that game and since White can't checkmate - it is a draw.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #13

Tumorang

I think the problem is due to internet connectin speed.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #14

piotr

zoom2me: Just installed a fix that may help for the issue. Please keep me posted. Thank you!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #15

Cesaroski

thanks for the responses, well just i gonna keep in mind this posibility, for the endgames,. personally i dont like the draws for a stalemate, o for any other reason, the only draw that i recognize is a mutual agreement.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #16

Sienna

Dnt have any problem like this, but I always receive a "timeout" or "ban"  to play in live chess for abandoning or whatever reasons...and I haven't abandoned any games except when I am disconnected (or no internet connection).  Fair? or Not fair?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #17

zoom2me

piotr wrote:

zoom2me: Just installed a fix that may help for the issue. Please keep me posted. Thank you!

great.. will surely keep you posted if I encounter anything obviously wierd.. btw I love the, almost perfect, JS work chess.com dev has put in..

• 2 years ago · Quote · #18

cookiemonster161140

Did someone say cookies? 

Seriously though, cookies have nothing to do with bugs in live chess - bugs are more Oscar the Grouch's department. You know, the guy who lives in a trash can?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #19

zoom2me

zoom2me wrote:
    piotr wrote:

great.. will surely keep you posted if I encounter anything obviously wierd.. btw I love the, almost perfect, JS work chess.com dev has put in..

another game .. this is 1 minute bullet..  the issue is not exactly the same..

i.e.. not a timeout issue... but rather its a slow premove issue...

however this might be related....  what I noticed was  slowlenss in premoves... how is the time calculated for premoves...? whats the expected time deduction etc... how does it work.. should be blazing fast right?

if you look at the game (plz do so.. its a funny game) .. you can understand that  its so easy to make 20 premoves for white.. which I did (and I had probably 3 to 5 seconds.... I thought with premoves i should be able to pull it through.. but still it felt like the premoves are also taking some time ( felt slow compared to before)...

game url :http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=293672891

the position where I was making premoves..(with black) ..

bye the way.. i dont have a slow connection issue... my connection battery is almost always green (2mbps connection).

• 2 years ago · Quote · #20

piotr

Hi! Each premove takes 0.1s. I can see you made 11 premoves successfully, then you lost on time. You just didn't have enough time to make so many premoves.

Post your reply: