Forums

What happened to Live chess?

Sort:
Southernsoldier

I personally do NOT like the new Live chess setup. if you agree with me please say so here and maybe we can change their mind.

ibreeeze

NO i dont agree ,,,the new live chess is much better specially that u can control all the setting while u r in live chess AND much easier to find an opponet and creating games...

Southernsoldier
But it's so bad and such.
oinquarki
Southernsoldier wrote:
But it's so bad and such.

A convincing argument.

RaidenXV

it's like a pair of new shoes!

you'll get used to it bro!

just like i did and it only took me about 5 mins.

Terricotta

I was stoked when I saw the new live chess, it looks awesome, you get a bigger board and it's easier to follow. All I can do is thank Chess.com for their generosity to the free members. Relax, you'll get used to it. 

sftac

suggested reading:

http://blog.chess.com/webmaster/introducing-live-chess-4   

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/suggestions/the-new-live-chess-interface?lc=1#last_comment

sftac

Southernsoldier
Lovely. I will come up with a convincing argument.......within the year.
higginson

I don't like it and will be stop paying my membership soon unless I can use the previous one. I can't find out how to get the board to fit the screen and just want to be able to look up and issue challenges for the amount of time I can play for. It is not much to ask. I wish they had just left it.  

Elroch

I greatly dislike the fact that the board size changed without me choosing to do so. One gets used to a certain size of board (as well as other aspects of its appearance) and it is a really bad idea to impose a change on users without them having the option to leave it like it is. I am not even sure there is a way to make the size and appearance of the board close enough to what I am familiar with to make it comfortable to use. If chess.com ignore this point, it will clearly show they don't care about the experience of their users.

kohai

If you use the gear wheel icon next to the chat tab then click on Style you can adjust the board size in there (and save settings).

furtiveking
Southernsoldier wrote:
Lovely. I will come up with a convincing argument.......within the year.

How about starting with explaining what you dont like about it? Just saying "go back to the old way" when there are clear improvments over the old way isn't going to sway anyone, and makes you look like a troll. But, if you discuss what you actually don't like, your opinion will gain more respect.

Elroch

ok, kohai. Easy to miss that since the option is not available in one of the modes (and is only accessible through that inconspicuous cog in the other mode. And even then takes no effect until you save settings - why not immediately?)

DeepGreene

Please see the update/edit at the bottom of the Development blog post...

http://blog.chess.com/view/introducing-live-chess-4

Elroch

The fact that I had no idea that post existed suggests that the information is not being provided in the ideal way for users (i.e. where they will find it if they need it). When such radical changes are introduced, surely the thing to do is make all the information that people might need (not very much really) very prominently linked from the page they see? Not difficult to implement, really.

mastermind1234

As long as I can play chess I'm fine. I think the create game controls are a little harder but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

robjorg
[COMMENT DELETED]
kohai
yeres30 wrote:

The new layout deprives a member the freedom to choose the rating range he wants to play.

We adjusted the ratings-range control for new Seeks!

You now have two fields to specify EITHER a relative range for your own rating ( “-50” & “+100” for instance), or an absolute range (“1400” & “1600” for example). The only restriction is that, either way, the range must include your own rating.

furtiveking
yeres30 wrote:
kohai wrote:

We adjusted the ratings-range control for new Seeks!

You now have two fields to specify EITHER a relative range for your own rating ( “-50” & “+100” for instance), or an absolute range (“1400” & “1600” for example). The only restriction is that, either way, the range must include your own rating.

But why does Chess.Com find it necessary to "restrict"?  

Why does Chess.Com find it necessary to deny members the freedom they used to have under the old layout?

In the old layout, any challenges you issues had to include your current rating as well.

J_Piper

I play most of my live chess on a laptop that doesn't provide the regular live chess button.  I used to be able to click on the basic version and play through that, but now the icon is replaced with "do you want a larger board, click here."  Now my computer is not compatible any longer to play without upgrading my windows, or whatever else that is required for it.  So, yeah, I am biased to keeping things simple... To me it creates a better experience.  Do I need a button that says 3min, 15/10, or 30 min when it takes only a second to type the minutes you want?