Forums

Why Abort?

Sort:
theoreticalboy

lol, way to pick the most extreme viewpoint taken out of context, and ignore all the other points that clash with your opinion.  I'm convinced.

locator
theoreticalboy wrote:

It's true; we've learned not to take it personally.  Best way is to just throw him a puck and a hockey stick and let him tire himself out.

I honestly don't know how to respond to your responses, so I'm gonna just leave it alone and play some chess.

theoreticalboy
locator wrote:
theoreticalboy wrote:

It's true; we've learned not to take it personally.  Best way is to just throw him a puck and a hockey stick and let him tire himself out.

I honestly don't know how to respond to your responses, so I'm gonna just leave it alone and play some chess.

Laughing

Join the fun, crack a joke or two open.

armond_sr

i abort lots because I'm not that good

Chess4001

people abort if they don't feel like playing another game, I guess.

bearsden2010
[COMMENT DELETED]
ghostofmaroczy

Sometimes I have Babas Chess and Chess.com Live chess open at the same time waiting for someone to accept a seek.  If games start simultaneously in both, and I happen to start playing in Babas, I might get auto aborted here at chess.com.

One reason my seeks might sit a while is that I seek borderline blitz games like 14+1, 12+4, 10+7 etc.  Perhaps next to the time control on the seek graph it could explicitly state whether the game is blitz or standard.

can_i_use_this_chair

At first, i though this was a political pro-choice/pro-life debate forum.

ClavierCavalier

I think it automatically times out after so long.  I've seen games where it aborts and then suddenly a message the person was typing appears.  One time I was challenged to a rematch several times by someone who kept getting aborts.  They said they can't decided what to open with.  Maybe they hoped that it would eventually switch colors or that they just had to do a lot of thinking for 1.

sorouush

Alison1234

I will offer a draw if my opponent gets disconnected and looses half their time and then reconnects. Most people abort at the beginning because the downside associated with loosing to a much lower rating is large and the upside low.  Other people pad their rating by waiting for someone they know they can beat based on a much higher rating. If chess.com wants to stop it charge the aborting player with a loss and the opponent gets the win. This would stop the aborting in one day. If I am beat and it is obvious I resign out of respect. I played competitive billiards for 30 years and is is considered disrespectful to make a very good player shot the last shot which is short,straight in and can be made 1000 times in a row. The biggest abuse is when a player has 2 email accounts and uses one for tournrmrnts and purposley creates a 700-800 rating when entering the tournement. It would be tough to stop but I know a 1200+ player when I play one and I have seem 600-700 players play with the frevious account to get in the <1,200 bullet tournments. Lets face it some people do wharever they have to to raise their rating or win a tournment. Its just a fun game to me that allows me to play people all over the world and it is a great way to keep your mind active and healthy.

sisu

Aborting is the disease of players that are scared of losing rating points. I see no real positive reason for having the abort system.

Check out the discussion here

Tsumeb

^ I agree mostly. The only modification I would make that statement is that it is not JUST a disease-- whose function is as stated above-- but a tool with only one legitimate use in my opinion. That use is to avoid a game with someone of a lower associated rating, someone whom you will most likely beat. There are two downsides to this in my opinion, stated below.

1) You will not play a challenging player and expand your mind.

2) If you do happen to lose, you will have lost points, without any "gain" in the game itself.

However even though the use of the abort function is in my opinion fair when you do not wish to play someone rated signifcantly lower than you, there are still settings in place to assure that this will not happen if you so desire. I basically don't see a use for it. 

GreenCastleBlock
Alison1234 wrote:

I played competitive billiards for 30 years and is is considered disrespectful to make a very good player shot the last shot which is short,straight in and can be made 1000 times in a row.

+1.  I did not know this about billiards.

Kikyo_Sushi

In my Opinion, the Abort Button is no longer necessary now that the System Auto Aborts Games for us if they r not started within 30 seconds or if the second move is not played after a certain time ( dunno how many secs ) .

.. but sometimes,we happen to click on our 'New Game'/Seek Button too many times n' we get more than 1 Accepted Game ( I normally don't like to play more than 1 game at a time ) ,maybe it wld be necessary to abort 1 game if we hv accidentally played the first move for both games ,or else we lose points .. but even then I prefer not to Abort ,I juz lose points or sometimes I juz continue playing both the games  .

I don't touch my Abort Button,unless accidentally .