Forums

Why Abort?

Sort:
eatherquake

Hello,

And if, (let's say i am playing a 5 minutes blitz live chess), the opponent logg off after 2 minutes (realizing his position is lost), is there a way to abort the game, or say the game is lost for the opponent? I am fed up with those guys who can't just hit the resign button...

TheGrobe

If that's the case then there's a bug in the block feature.

TheGrobe

How do you know they've known about it for years?

sftac
IMDeviate wrote:
Blocking a player in privacy settings does not prevent them from accepting your seek. Why is that? 

News to me.  Anyone I block, I never see again.

If those you've blocked can respond to your Seek Ads, what's the point in blocking anyone? (other than to not see their chat posts)

sftac

TheGrobe

I know that they don't restrict you from be matched up in a tournament setting -- likely also true in live chess now that the tournaments are up and running there (can anyone confirm)?

TheGrobe
[COMMENT DELETED]
sftac
IMDeviate wrote:
Here's a suggestion for the chess.com code beasts: If I have just finished a game with player x and I hit new game instead of rematch get me a NEW pairing with somebody else please. 

Site's already doing that -- but with "new game", you're creating a site wide 'seek ad' a moment after your game. [Easier than offering matches to individuals, of course.]

If your recent opponent found it was fun playing with you, it stands to reason your opponent's usually going to be first to respond to your seek ad.

Don

AnOreo08

I don't really want to wait 15-20 seconds for the game to auto abort.  I should be able to abort if the player doesn't move within 5 seconds.  the player hits new game.  they should be ready to play

TheGrobe

Could it be that the rematch screen popped up right before you hit enter to submit your comment and that the focus is on the "Accept" button by default?  When this happens, does your "GG" actually get submitted?

pumpupthevolume247

Yeah that auto abort thing really works - not good. Me an IM Rensch were playing on The BIG show and neither of us knew why it was cutting out so much, so much so, I had to re-challenge him 5 times to get the game underway - I think a 30-second auto abort would be better...

Pre_VizsIa

Isn't 15 seconds a little short, especially for those with slower internet connections (like mine)?

goldhawk

Ok Here we go again. I wait over 15 seconds (thought the server was supposed to abort the game if my opponenet white doesn't start in 15 seconds). Then message comes up that they my opponent has disconnected, end of my patience... so I abort and get a warning???? Seriously???

DeepGreene
pumpupthevolume247 wrote:

Yeah that auto abort thing really works - not good. Me an IM Rensch were playing on The BIG show and neither of us knew why it was cutting out so much, so much so, I had to re-challenge him 5 times to get the game underway - I think a 30-second auto abort would be better...

I think it strikes a pretty good balance. Others are suggesting that 15-20 seconds is too long. :|

m00nlight

why not get rid of the auto-aborting by the server? and just make abortions not count against the fair play record if the opponent hasn't moved for more than 10 seconds?

DeepGreene
m00nlight wrote:

why not get rid of the auto-aborting by the server? and just make abortions not count against the fair play record if the opponent hasn't moved for more than 10 seconds?

Good question. Funnily enough, we got rid of not counting early no-move aborts against the user's Fair Play record in favor of the auto-aborts!

The reason for this was concern for users whose "abort privileges" are suspended. Given that clocks don't start till after the first moves are made, they would be forced to resign against a non-mover every single time - or disconnect, making their problem worse.

At some point maybe we can investigate some cool alternatives to the server aborts... Like after 10-15 seconds, the abort button turns green meaning it's a "free" abort; likewise, if you were "abort suspended" the Resign button would change into a (green) Abort button after the interval of time...

Samantha
deeMannn wrote:

Samantha,

If you start a game and even have an emergency come up while you are playing; i think you should resign.  

I would not disagree with that, but since the option disappears after only 1 move using it can hardly affect the three possible outcomes. In particular, I fail to see why aborting before the start of the game causes harm or should offend a "Fair Play Policy".

If someone does not wish to play me [ for whatever reason] I prefer to know immediately and not wait 15 seconds, which I frequently must do now.

SusanG

I would like to be able to abort a game if I get someone who asks if I am married, how old I am, or telling me I look cute, but I know this isn't a feasible option :)

kco

just turn off the chat.

SusanG

Of course I do but it still puts me off the game!

kco

nah just beat them and that will teach them a lesson.