Forums

why all the computer players in Live Chess

Sort:
spoiler_alert

"COMPUTER 1 - EASY"

"COMPUTER 2 - MEDIUM"

etc.

There's continually three or four entries like that in the challenges section.

Who goes to Live Chess to play a computer, which I thought you were trying to discourage anyway.

Odd.

spoiler_alert

Incidentally, no real complaints from me regarding the new live chess other than the above. 

Since I started this thread, I guess I can change the subject briefly:  These people that say they're continually getting disconnected in the New Live chess, I'm thinking chess.com should consider the possibility of that being a hoax.  I've never gotten disconnected in the new Live Chess without it reconnecting in seconds.  The way it notifies you of it like its a red alert is kind of weird though.

But anyway, why the computer players in "Live" chess.

spoiler_alert

OK I'm going to change the subject yet again because here's a REAL problem I encountered JUST NOW.

3 moves in, the opponent just vanishes.  In the new Live chess, you can't start another game while that one is going on.  So an opponent can just leave.  He was gone for five minutes and the instant I switched over here, he moved.

spoiler_alert

But seriously, chess.com, while all the computer players in the challenges section.  That is highly annoying.  It says now there are 1800+ players in Live Chess.  So why are there computer players in the challenges section.

einstein_69101

I don't mind the computer opponents in live chess.  Maybe some of the chess.com staff will consider it and put in a seek filter option if you want to only see humans.

spoiler_alert

you can't abort after a few moves

spoiler_alert
einstein_69101 wrote:

I don't mind the computer opponents in live chess.  Maybe some of the chess.com staff will consider it and put in a seek filter option if you want to only see humans.

Why are there computer players anyway if there are 1800 human players on live chess?  Do you play the computers?  Why go to chess.com to play a computer?  Who told chess.com "What I really want in the new Live chess is computers."

Baseballfan

We aren't trying to discourage all computer v. human chess play. What we don't want is folks using their computer programs to play against other humans. There are a lot of folks who like playing against computers, and so we've added that ability into Live Chess.

spoiler_alert

Thanks for the reply, Baseball fan:

As far as my other comment in #3:  An opponent of mine apparently just walked away three moves in.  Why did you all decide to prevent playing more than one game in Live Chess at a time.  With that rule, someone can just walk away from a game and hold you hostage or force you to resign if you want to play another opponent.

Dakota_Clark

How many chess.com members does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change it, and 400,000 to complain about how much better it was before.

spoiler_alert

Dakota_Clark:

Do you not see my point - Someone can just walk away from a game now, and you can't start another game.

kokakola

I think it would be very reasonable to add an option to filter out the computers in seeks.

spoiler_alert

kokakola

To be honest, I didn't know for sure if some wise guy hadn't given himself the handle "COMPUTER PLAYER" and was flooding Live chess with challenges, and it was just being tolerated.  I'm not as concerned  if it was a conscious (though inexplicable) decision by chess.com to start doing this.

Though hopefuly they see my other complaint in this thread about the consequences of only being able to play one game at a time.

------------------

Edit:  Though maybe the prevention of playing multiple games was so that someone couldn't submit multiple challenges, I don't know.

Baseballfan

We plan to add the ability to play more than one game back. It, like the other features that were removed, will be coming back, just give us time.

spoiler_alert

Outstanding.

One last question if I may:

What did you guys use to write the chess.com (Live Chess) interface. (e.g. Flex, Java,  Ruby on Rails).  Maybe there's a way to figure that out but I don't know what it is.

Baseballfan
Eberulf wrote:

Outstanding.

One last question if I may:

What did you guys use to write the chess.com (Live Chess) interface. (e.g. Flex, Java,  Ruby on Rails).  Maybe there's a way to figure that out but I don't know what it is.

It was written in Java and cometd.

spoiler_alert
Schachgeek wrote:

I have yet to see a computer on live chess. It would be fun to play one now and then, but I have computers at home that I can play.

Maybe this feature is for people who do not own a computer?

Do you play "Live Chess" at chess.com?  If you go to Live Chess  now, and click on the "Challenges" tab there, do you not see challenges from "COMPUTER 1-EASY" or "COMPUTER 2-MEDIUM" etc.?

Jollymann
Eberulf wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Baseball fan:

As far as my other comment in #3:  An opponent of mine apparently just walked away three moves in.  Why did you all decide to prevent playing more than one game in Live Chess at a time.  With that rule, someone can just walk away from a game and hold you hostage or force you to resign if you want to play another opponent.

I think maybe the idea was that if someone is playing multiple live games (and of course everyone has that ability in postal style chess), the other guy would have to sit there and wait for much longer than he ought to have to since the first guy is out thinking about another game.  It would waste someone's time.  That would be unfair to him.  Also, to me it doesn't make sense anyway to have someone be able to do that;  He's not going to be able to play as well.  Chess involves one's full attention at least if it's immediate.  Just play the game you have and move on.  What's the problem in that?  I don't see the problem in that.

DMJ

Jollymann
Eberulf wrote:

Why are there computer players anyway if there are 1800 human players on live chess?  Do you play the computers?  Why go to chess.com to play a computer?  Who told chess.com "What I really want in the new Live chess is computers."

For one, you wouldn't have to pay for chess software!  I've had "Chessmaster" and found that on timed games it would just crash too much based on the graphics.

More importantly and to the point, I think that the idea is you can get faster games in since the computer (at least on C-E, C-M) moves after just one or two seconds.  You can have your time the way you want to make your normal quality moves, yet your games takes almost half the time.  But yeah, I can see how playing a machine on a human interaction chess site would seem counter-intuitive.  I think also it would give you a chance to feel out new strageties where if it doesn't work out you're not getting beaten by an actual person.  Maybe it's just another way of using the site, like running problems in the Tactics section.  It's practice.

DMJ

aquiredtaste

I played more than one game last night on Live3.  I was playing two 10 minute games and feeling extremely rushed.  Probably will only do two games if one is G/30. I submitted a couple of display changes/problems to Kohai, but other than that I loved the upgrade.