Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

a puzzle from josh waitzkin's game vs bobby fisher

• 4 years ago · Quote · #1

DRcheckmate

win in 9 moves

• 4 years ago · Quote · #2

Shivsky

You might want to be a bit more accurate about the source => Waitzkin did not play Bobby Fischer, as far as uncle google + the chessbase megabase can account for.

Though given the puzzle, it appears that you are referring to the final movie game contrived by Josh and Bruce Pandolfini for the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer". This was a game between Josh and a fictional character called Jonathan Poe.  In reality, Josh played Jeff Sarwer in the final round and drew him to share the championship.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #3

pompom

Shivsky wrote:

You might want to be a bit more accurate about the source => Waitzkin did not play Bobby Fischer, as far as uncle google + the chessbase megabase can account for.

Though given the puzzle, it appears that you are referring to the final movie game contrived by Josh and Bruce Pandolfini for the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer". This was a game between Josh and a fictional character called Jonathan Poe.  In reality, Josh played Jeff Sarwer in the final round and drew him to share the championship.

Yes, you're right.  He didn't play Bobby Fischer, but it was from the movie "Searching from Bobby Fisher".  And yes, Josh drew Jeff Sarwer in the last round.

By the way, I thought the king was at d5, not c3.  If it was on c3, it would be a draw.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #4

DRcheckmate

oh sorry my mistake

• 4 years ago · Quote · #5

gambit156

hummmmmmmmmmm!!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #6

tapan11235

pompom wrote:
    Shivsky wrote:

Yes, you're right.  He didn't play Bobby Fischer, but it was from the movie "Searching from Bobby Fisher".  And yes, Josh drew Jeff Sarwer in the last round.

By the way, I thought the king was at d5, not c3.  If it was on c3, it would be a draw.

It would not be draw. After the position you have given just White Queen has to give check on each step and has to approach near the Black King

• 4 years ago · Quote · #7

pompom

tapan11235 wrote:
    pompom wrote:
    Shivsky wrote:

It would not be draw. After the position you have given just White Queen has to give check on each step and has to approach near the Black King

Black has a pawn on the rook file, so it is a draw.  There is no way the white king can approach.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #8

LegoPirate

DRcheckmate wrote:

oh sorry my mistake

Then why don't you correct the one like that on your profile?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #9

pogah

in the movie there's no queen before waitzkin ask for a draw and share the championship with poe, Poe captured the black's queen in the middle of the game and then waitzkin captured white's queen by knight in doble check...

i think this is more accurate position of the game before waitzkin ask for a draw, but i dunno the exact position of the black rook correct me if im wrong....
  • 4 years ago · Quote · #10

pompom

Yes, that is the correct position.  White could have still drawn.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #11

dachessmaster4eva

black's 7th move would've been kb2

• 3 years ago · Quote · #12

karangtarunasemarang

Smile

• 3 years ago · Quote · #13

shukthemaster

i,ve seen the movie and i remeber that the black king was on d5

• 3 years ago · Quote · #14

Cameronjmayer

where can i find the whole game??

• 3 years ago · Quote · #15

mark100net

Cameronjmayer wrote:

http://bit.ly/zttaMd

• 2 years ago · Quote · #16

Cameronjmayer

mark100net wrote:
    Cameronjmayer wrote:

that gives u the real game, i want the "Movie Game"

• 2 years ago · Quote · #17

saxenas81

nice explination by others

• 2 years ago · Quote · #18

mark100net

Cameronjmayer wrote:
    mark100net wrote:
    Cameronjmayer wrote:

that gives u the real game, i want the "Movie Game"

On what planet do you expect to find that?  If you didn't see the movie, do you really think they showed every single move in a whole (non-miniature) chess game in a mainstream movie?  Which is what they would have to have done for there to be a complete score since the game otherwise never happened.

(and if you did see the movie, then you know they didn't show every move, which should lead you to the same conclusion)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #19

Jammer555

it is an AMERICAN MOVIE-do you really think they showed the real game?

Josh's opponent was a 7 YEAR OLD -Jeff Sarwer-from Canada who had a very tough upbringing and lived in a van with his dad and sister(another chess prodigy). He was nothing but a nice kid and he actually tied Waitzkin-check out what really happened on the net. "Rudy' , the 'Hurricane' all movies with lies.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #20

mark100net

A link was already posted to the real game.  Did you really need to revive a  two year old thread for an off topic rant?

Post your reply: