Titled Tuesday is LIVE with IM Danny Rensch on Twitch and ChessTV! Open to ALL MEMBERS! Click here to watch!
Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Can you solve this mate in 4?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

Hello everyone. I made a funny chess problem. Please don't post the answer if you use an engine. Happy solving Wink:

White mates in 4

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

That's really awesome! :D

HINT: Every piece is useful!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

Thanks ChessisGood, I think it's also awesome :). 

Thanks for the compliments Cool, and thanks for not displaying the answer Laughing.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

I also think this puzzle is hard, I will submit another puzzle like this later, after this is solved Laughing.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

At first I looked at the possibility of a discovered mate theme. Something like 1. Bg1 a5 2. Rf2 Kd4 3. Rf4#. Of course that fails to 2... Ke3.

Then I considered a different mating net that also uses the a4 pawn. 1. Ba3 a5 2. Bc1 Kd4 3. Kd6 with 4. Rf4# next. But of course, here black has 1... Ke3 once more.

So I tried a more direct approach. Here's the solution:

1. Kd6 (not 1. Bd4?) a5 2. Bd4! Kxd4 3. Re5 Kc4 4. Re4#.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

Congratulations Shoopi!!. 1.Kd6! is the correct answer. Here is a puzzle with the answer:

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

This was a marvelous puzzle, would be in the advanced category! You said it was your composition. I wanted to work it out on my own but I saw the first move, darn, but still it was a great problem even in three! But for the first move Bd4 would work also, if I done it right? try it? 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

yes..  i got it

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

Sorry GhostNight, but 1.Bd4 doesn't put black into zugzwang. He isn't forced to play a5. Here is a diagram:

But thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you liked it!! Cool.

Well Suvel_Karmarkar, congratulations if you solved it!. It was quite a hard puzzle.

Thanks for the compliments Doduobird123. Thanks for the attempt Laughing, it was quite wonderful.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

Any more problems?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #12

did this in 0.00 sec

• 2 years ago · Quote · #13

Gosh, I apologize, thanks for explaining! Embarassed I would call that problem "The perfect zugzwang"!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #14

houdini1_5a wrote:

did this in 0.00 sec

Haha, I get the joke Laughing.

Yes Chessusilo, click here to go to the mate in 3!. Good luck

• 2 years ago · Quote · #15

not a joke, i reallY DID THAT.

Post your reply: