Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Daily Puzzle 7/8/13-How crazy can you get?


  • 12 months ago · Quote · #21

    GSHAPIROY

    White takes the black bishop. Anything that doesn't put the bishop en prize is a waiting move.

    As in 9. ... Bg5????

  • 12 months ago · Quote · #22

    caveatcanis

    White takes the black bishop. Anything that doesn't put the bishop en prize is a waiting move.

    As in 9. ... Bg5????

    The 'waiting move' comment applies to the position after 9...Ba5 10. Nf7

    If Black plays 9... Bg5? instead of  9... Ba5, then simply 10. Nc7 wins immediately.


  • 12 months ago · Quote · #23

    GSHAPIROY

    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • 10 months ago · Quote · #24

    GSHAPIROY

    caveatcanis wrote:

    I think the solution given in the diagram is wrong

    After 1. c8=Bd6 2. a7?, Black can play 2... Bc5 3. Bxc5 g1=Q.

    Now 4. Bxg1 is stalemate, while 4. Bb7+ Kxb7 5. Bxg1 Ka8 is the old "wrong rook's pawn" draw.

    Instead, 2. Bb7+ Kb8 3. Bd5 (threatening a7+) wins.

    I also wonder whether White could win (more slowly) with 1. c8=N?

    Looking carefully at it now, it seems to be a draw:



  • 10 months ago · Quote · #25

    FancyKnight

    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • 10 months ago · Quote · #26

    caveatcanis

    I didn't say Bb6?, I said Nb6:



  • 10 months ago · Quote · #27

    GSHAPIROY

    caveatcanis wrote:

    I didn't say Bb6?, I said Nb6:

     



    So black just plays 4. ... Bd8

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #28

    caveatcanis

    So black just plays 4. ... Bd8


    Which leads back into the lines we discused 2 months ago.

    White brings the king up; Black gets into zugzwang and loses. Please reread the earlier posts for details.

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #29

    macer75

    lol when I saw the title for a sec I thought it was really the Daily Puzzle!

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #30

    FancyKnight

    On d8 the bishop runs out of squares and white has zugzwang after placing the king on b5. If Bg3 then Kf3 forces the bishop to a square where it can be forked by the Nb6

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #31

    GSHAPIROY

    caveatcanis wrote:

    So black just plays 4. ... Bd8


    Which leads back into the lines we discused 2 months ago.

    White brings the king up; Black gets into zugzwang and loses. Please reread the earlier posts for details.

    I don't see that line in 2/3-month old comments

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #32

    pain_191

    almost drove me insane!

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #33

    GSHAPIROY

    pain_191 wrote:

    almost drove me insane!

    1. c8/N or 1. c8/B?

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #34

    caveatcanis

    GSHAPIROY wrote:
    caveatcanis wrote:

    So black just plays 4. ... Bd8


    Which leads back into the lines we discused 2 months ago.

    White brings the king up; Black gets into zugzwang and loses. Please reread the earlier posts for details.

    I don't see that line in 2/3-month old comments

    The play resembles the line following 11... Ba5 in comment #15.

    Black can shuffle his king between a8 and b7 or his bishop between d8 and a5 but can't undertake anything else without losing quickly.

    White just marches his king to d7 and (triangulating if necessary) sets up the winning zugwang.

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #35

    GSHAPIROY

    caveatcanis wrote:
    GSHAPIROY wrote:
    caveatcanis wrote:

    So black just plays 4. ... Bd8


    Which leads back into the lines we discused 2 months ago.

    White brings the king up; Black gets into zugzwang and loses. Please reread the earlier posts for details.

    I don't see that line in 2/3-month old comments

    The play resembles the line following 11... Ba5 in comment #15.

    Black can shuffle his king between a8 and b7 or his bishop between d8 and a5 but can't undertake anything else without losing quickly.

    White just marches his king to d7 and (triangulating if necessary) sets up the winning zugwang.

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #36

    caveatcanis

    @GSHAPIROY Please reread post #18. It explains White's winning plan.

    You're posting lines where White plays random moves that don't follow the winning plan.

    White's first objective is to get the knight to d5. 2...Bg3 doesn't do anything to oppose this, so White would just play 3. Ne7.

    This is my last post in this thread.

  • 10 months ago · Quote · #37

    GSHAPIROY

    caveatcanis wrote:

    @GSHAPIROY Please reread post #18. It explains White's winning plan.

    You're posting lines where White plays random moves that don't follow the winning plan.

    White's first objective is to get the knight to d5. 2...Bg3 doesn't do anything to oppose this, so White would just play 3. Ne7.

    This is my last post in this thread.

    Very well, I will discuss this with someone with a higher rating than yours.

  • 9 months ago · Quote · #38

    GSHAPIROY

    caveatcanis wrote:

    I think the solution given in the diagram is wrong

    After 1. c8=Bd6 2. a7?, Black can play 2... Bc5 3. Bxc5 g1=Q.

    Now 4. Bxg1 is stalemate, while 4. Bb7+ Kxb7 5. Bxg1 Ka8 is the old "wrong rook's pawn" draw.

    Instead, 2. Bb7+ Kb8 3. Bd5 (threatening a7+) wins.

    I also wonder whether White could win (more slowly) with 1. c8=N?

    2 questions:

    1. How many moves will it take to win the g-pawn after winning the black bishop?

    2. How many moves will it take to mate with bishop/knight after the g-pawn and bishop are captured?


Back to Top

Post your reply: